Axe II XL vs Mark II

mr_fender

Axe-Master
Hey all,

I can't decide which one I should get. I'm currently on the wait list for both the XL and Mark II as a result. Do you guys have any suggestions or pros and cons of one over the other. I'm leaning towards the XL because of the lower noise floor, optical encoder value wheel, and extra memory for future upgrades, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra $$$. I could put that $300 difference toward a MFC-101 or something. I've scoured their specs and know most of the differences, but I'd like to hear a little first hand perspective if possible. I don't really need the extra I/O options on the XL, but like that it would potentially be a little more "future-proof". Any ideas?

Agreed! I've spent hundreds on cables just because they're "quieter"... I'd only be letting myself down by not getting the XL! This might be slightly unrelated, but does anyone know if the XL is bigger than the II depth-wise?

Buying new absolutely go with XL if you can swing it. You will appreciate the extra memory when you start loading IRs and FASLink is great!

The IR's make 50% of the sound/tone.If you want to try half of what is arround and do not want to replace nice ones with supposedly nicer ones-->THEN ITS ALL THE WAY XL

Roland

XL is the same depth as the II, Craig.

I'm super happy I upgraded to the XL from the II, well worth the extra dough.

SVL, is there a noticable difference in the noise level between the two units? This is a big deal for me since I like to play dynamically and use the guitar volume knob alot. When you roll back the volume to play cleaner on a high gain tone, the noise becomes more noticable with any rig. Noise gates help, but they often kill your sustain when playing quieter subtle parts.

Hey all,

I can't decide which one I should get. I'm currently on the wait list for both the XL and Mark II as a result. Do you guys have any suggestions or pros and cons of one over the other. I'm leaning towards the XL because of the lower noise floor, optical encoder value wheel, and extra memory for future upgrades, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra $$$. I could put that $300 difference toward a MFC-101 or something. I've scoured their specs and know most of the differences, but I'd like to hear a little first hand perspective if possible. I don't really need the extra I/O options on the XL, but like that it would potentially be a little more "future-proof". Any ideas?

Since they both export the same exact sound from the modelling its all up to you if you really need the extra stuff that DOES NOT affect in any ways the quality of the modelling sound.....well, maybe the reduced noise floor, but Cliff did state that it was minimal IIRC.

SVL, is there a noticable difference in the noise level between the two units?
No, there isn't.

See this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/85415-upgrading-fx-ii-xl-2.html#post1035749 (which is a quote from Cliff who says it's not a significant difference).

If I had already owned a II, I would NOT have upgraded to an XL. I was using an Ultra, and the time had come for me to switch. And to be honest, I didn't opt for the XL because of the extra spce for cabs (the II already has more than I need), end even less for the noise floor (my Ultra was fine, and a II would have been fine). I opted for the XL because my setup requires two pedal inputs, which the XL has (but the II doesn't). That's too much to pay for just a pedal input, but I gave in and spoiled myself (even though I can't really justify it).

I can't really hear a difference in the noise floor, both units are stellar in this department for me (and I am a dynamic player as well)...

SVL, is there a noticable difference in the noise level between the two units? This is a big deal for me since I like to play dynamically and use the guitar volume knob alot. When you roll back the volume to play cleaner on a high gain tone, the noise becomes more noticable with any rig. Noise gates help, but they often kill your sustain when playing quieter subtle parts.

I am going for an XL too mr_fender and for exactly the same reasons as you - any incremental improvements are worth it to me personally. Don't get me wrong - I think the AXE is relatively very quiet, but I always look for options to improve the noise floor.

Why? :eek: Because I play like you (above) and there are moments of softness or even silence interspersed with higher gain playing. :D

But, you may be overlooking the most beneficial reason for going with an XL. Look at the boom in 2014 IR releases by FAS (Pack 4), third parties (OH, TAF) and users (there have been many) and listen to the samples and posts and audition as many of these new offerings as you can.

You will probably come to the same conclusion I did since you play like I do - the transparency and compatibility of the new IR offerings, especially in UltrRes format, are just astounding!

IMHO - the weakest link for dynamic players like us has been the IRs, certainly not the AXE. Now, that weakness is rapidly falling away with the introduction of UltraRes and the plethora of IRs becoming available.

Therefore, again, IMHO it is the extra storage in the XL that is the biggest XL v. II purchasing criterion - the reduced noise floor is just the bonus. I believe you will want to stuff the AXE with as many high quality IRs as you can fit in there for on-the-fly choices to fit the venue, even if you just jam with friends occasionally like I do.

I know that's what I want and why I am going with the XL ASAP. :encouragement:

PS - make sure you have the latest CabLab software too so you can blend IRs of sufficient length prior to conversion to UltraRes.

:lol Its a brave new tonal world for us all. :D

XL stores 512 user cabs. Mark II stores 74 Factory and 50 User Cabs. From what I've read, cab support between the two are identical as both support ultra res cabs. XL just stores a lot more of them. I think I'm going to wait for the XL. I've been on the list for a couple of weeks longer on the Mark II, but I'll just pass on the invite for it (painfully). I know I'm going to want to try every cab ir I can find and might try and make a few impulses myself, so the extra storage space will be worth it. Cab Lab will be in my future as well I'm sure.

If I had already owned a II, I would NOT have upgraded to an XL. I was using an Ultra, and the time had come for me to switch. And to be honest, I didn't opt for the XL because of the extra spce for cabs (the II already has more than I need), end even less for the noise floor (my Ultra was fine, and a II would have been fine). I opted for the XL because my setup requires two pedal inputs, which the XL has (but the II doesn't). That's too much to pay for just a pedal input, but I gave in and spoiled myself (even though I can't really justify it).

So after carefully weighing the options, you came to the conclusion that based on your needs the XL was not worth the extra coin, but then went ahead and bought one anyway?

This is a brand of logic that, up until this moment, I had only seen employed by my wife. :mrgreen

How many different IR's do you actually use? Me 2-3 mostly 1-2. Like amps I do not need 100, so the II is the clear choice for me.

Hard to take my Fractal hat off anymore, but I'll try.
The XL has some really nice upgrades. The convenience of having so many IR slots allows you to choose the RIGHT ones quite easily.
And the "secret sauce" is pretty great. This thing is QUIET.
As has been stated before, the two pedal inputs are really nice.
And FASLINK is just something that I would not want to do without now that I've had it.

Like I said, hard to take the "Fractal M@" hat off, but the XL is a slam dunk for Matt, the 30-year guitar player.

Not completely accurate. The regular Axe-Fx II has 100 user cab slots, and I believe it contains quite a few more than 74 factory cabs as well.

Sorry, this is true. The manual states 100+ factory cabs and 100 user cab slots for the Mark II. The website details must not have been updated but the manual has been.

So after carefully weighing the options, you came to the conclusion that based on your needs the XL was not worth the extra coin, but then went ahead and bought one anyway?

This is a brand of logic that, up until this moment, I had only seen employed by my wife. :mrgreen

A.k.a., your future ex-wife if she reads this post ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only a $300 difference between a new XL and new II. check out the used prices on a II before you drop any coin. Alot of guys are making the upgrade and can't afford both.

But I guess the used prices could be pretty high if the waitlist is long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom