Axe II XL preset extras

claxor

Power User
Has anyone specifically listed what extra instances of effects blocks and more X/Y options will be available in the "XL" version of the Axe 2?

"The Axe-Fx II XL has the same DSP and amp modeling capabilities as the Axe-Fx II Mark II, but offers expanded memory, new I/O ports, and other upgrades detailed below."

www.fractalaudio.com/announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl.php

I'm guessing there is no plan to offer extra instances of fx blocks and more X/Y options - not specific to the XL model anyway. If they do add any of those features, you can bet it will apply to all three marks of the AF2.

I was weighing the two models but made me decide to go with the XL.
I have a Mark 1 and have no plans to upgrade, till say the Axe Fx III.
But yeah if I was to buy today I would go with the XL.
When it comes to this type of stuff I like latest and greatest

But yeah if I was to buy today I would go with the XL.

I'm of a similar mind as you. I had the original Axe II but reluctantly sold it to finance a small business venture which didn't work out. So now I'm repurchasing some of the things that I sold, but only those few things I really find valuable, the Axe being one of them.

If I already had an Axe FX II I'd probably wait for the next generation to upgrade. I'd thought about getting a used Axe but decided the XL was enough of an upgrade to buy new again.

What does the emphasized part mean?

Cliff, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it means this: even-though we are technically allowed say, 4 parametric eq blocks in a given preset, in a preset that has a lot of blocks the CPU may not be able to handle using all 4 parametric eq blocks. You will probably have to take out one or two other blocks to allow for using all 4 parametric eq blocks at once. I'm assuming that more CPU will be available so that you can use more of the 4 parametric eq blocks promised.

Using 4 parametric eq blocks may sound crazy or excessive, but it gives you many more tonal options and sounds that can be much more like studio recordings.

I believe that the CPU limits are the same - there is no additional CPU available. The XL has additional memory which allows more X/Y options as the additional memory enables the second set of settings to be stored.

Not sure what the additional effect instances means. Maybe instead of two blocks of a given effect being available, there are now four... again because the memory will allow these settings to be stored. This doesn't mean that the CPU will be able to process more. But it could give more flexibility with preset design.

Maybe instead of two blocks of a given effect being available, there are now four... again because the memory will allow these settings to be stored. This doesn't mean that the CPU will be able to process more. But it could give more flexibility with preset design.

That's certainly the implication, but (at least as of now) I haven't seen any evidence of it.

This is from the Purchase page on Fractal's site.

"Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects. (Note that the processing power of the XL is the same as that of the Mark II, so whereas more effect instances might be offered, the total limit for overall preset CPU usage remains the same.)"

Same CPU limitations.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom