Axe II XL + Mesa Mark V

hiker_42

So, I bit the bullet and bought the II XL. Been fumbling around with connecting it to my Mark V. I really only want effects right now in the effects loop. No modeling or even 4 cable method(yet).

Mark V send to Rear Axe Input 1
Axe Output 1 to Mark V Return
Global I/O input set to Rear. Output 2 set to Mono
Cab and Power Amp modeling off.
Amp and Cab blocks off in the preset.

What is strange to me is that Input 1 clips really bad unless I turn the Channel Master on the Mark way down to about 9 o'clock and the FX loop Send to about 10 o'clock.
If I leave the FX Send at 12 o'clock and the Channel Master at 12 o'clock (which is where i set it with my GSP1101 and the Axe Ultra that I used to have for a brief time), I have to turn down the Input 1 Level on the Axe to about 10%.

Guitar is using Crunchlab/Liquifire combo (no active pickups here).

I realize the learning curve is steep here, just wanting to replace my GSP for effects for live use for now, then experiment with 4cm or FRFR/Direct later on.
Hoping some other Mark V users can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!

Remember that with a patch of nothing but shunts from left to right, all output knobs at full clockwise equals unity gain. Exact same signal and volume that comes in is what goes out.
Also, make sure your Mark V's effects loop is 100% wet, otherwise you'll get phasing issues.

Seems like you're doing everything right. Just pick where you want to compensate for the signal clipping by either turning down the Mark's send level or turning down the Axe's internal Input 1 level and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom