Axe II + tube amp questions

misterpete

Hi guys,

So the search was concluded and I have my self a Mark II Axe FX II. I adore it. I adore it even more running though the power amp section of a Laney IRT Studio. I do however have a couple things i'd like to explore, but not quite sure how to go about doing them.

First question is, I have a pair of powered XLR studio monitors. I'm curious if I can use the Axe and the Laney in tandem to get the preamp from the Axe, the power amp from the Laney, and then somehow use the Axe to load an impulse on to the whole thing and route the audio through the monitors, and if so how would I go about doing it? Ie. ultimately take the cab out of the equation and use impulses but still have the full Axe + tube amp tone.

Secondly, if i'm running the Axe via 4cm into the Laney, can I use the Axe as both an FX unit and an impulse loader for the Laney? Or to accomplish this (and question 1) do I have to have some kind of impulse loader connected to the Laney itself?

Cheers for any help guys - just curious about how many options I have for sound routing.

You need to convert the Laney speaker output to line level before you can route it back into the Fractal.

Fractal is releasing an amp load box soon I think.

Surh and Two Notes have popular amp loads too.

UAD just released an interesting amp load box too.

Some amp load boxes have IR loaders built-in others don't.

Once you convert the Laney output to line level, you could use the FX Loop + Cab block in the Fractal as an IR loader.

If your monitors are powered then no, you can't power powered monitors with a power amp.... because they're already powered. :D

To do that you would have to get a load box. I think you could get better results with just the axe fx though. Your amp models in the axe fx already have power amp modeling unless you turned it off.

Thanks guys for the responses.

I just had a look at the back of my amp, and it has a DI out port. The axe fx has DI in ports. I'm wondering if this is the same as the line out option. Ie. if i went and hooked the axe fx up to the amp via 4cm, then went DI from amp to DI in on axe fx, would this let me use the power amp section and then apply an impulse in the axe, then hook the monitors up to the axe via XLR and have it all come out there?

Back
Top Bottom