Axe II to PC through a USB hub

rtcook

Experienced
Anybody setup like this? Does it work properly? My Axe II and computer are like 30 ft. away from each other. USB 2.0 cable limit is supposedly 16ft although I have found longer cables. The suggestion I got is to go through a USB hub. I tried a bus powered active USB cable 33ft. long and it does not work. Don't want to go back to the MIDI interface box and MIDI cables.

Thanks,

Roger

If you're only planning on using it for MIDI with Axe-Edit, it might work. I definitely don't recommend trying to use that setup with recording the Axe-II direct to DAW.

IIRC _ I read somewhere that the USB connection thru a hub would not work. Something to do with the way sysex is transferred. YMMV.

When I was connected via a powered USB hub Axe Edit worked fine (i.e. patch importing/tweaking and firmware updates), but my Mac (10.6.8) couldn't 'see' the Axe II as an audio interface. I had to connect to an on-board USB port on my Mac in order for the Axe to be recognized as a usable interface.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I've been using a 12 year old Belkin USB hub that I just kind of bolted into my rack. Now I haven't tried any audio through the USB, but I've got zero issues with sysex or anything. I updated my firmware with no problems, been using the heck out of AxeEdit with no issues either. I believe that it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port, but I know that the hub was 1.1 at best. I've got two of them and they just work with everything I plug into them. Sometimes that old stuff is built a bit more robust and with tighter tolerances I suppose.

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I've been using a 12 year old Belkin USB hub that I just kind of bolted into my rack. Now I haven't tried any audio through the USB, but I've got zero issues with sysex or anything. I updated my firmware with no problems, been using the heck out of AxeEdit with no issues either. I believe that it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port, but I know that the hub was 1.1 at best. I've got two of them and they just work with everything I plug into them. Sometimes that old stuff is built a bit more robust and with tighter tolerances I suppose.

I've read that 1.1 will work (most of the time), but it is just slow. I am sure that it would affect audio transfer. As for data transfer between the Axe and computer (Axe-Edit), I bet it's fine. Just trying to find all inclusive solution. If my Axe was closer to my PC, I'd have it made. I may have to do some rearranging in here.

This would have been the ticket, but it does not support USB 2.0. I asked Fractal support and I indeed need a 2.0 compliant cable/device.

Duuuuuuude, I didn't even notice that. What a bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom