Axe II Patch loading without Axe-edit Question

Shredology

Experienced
So I am not using Axe-edit until the new one comes out. I tried to download a patch from the exchange yesterday and sent it to the II using Midi-ox. It was sent seemingly randomly to preset #014. It took me forever to find where it went. Will this file always go to preset 14 or can it be controlled?

So I am not using Axe-edit until the new one comes out. I tried to download a patch from the exchange yesterday and sent it to the II using Midi-ox. It was sent seemingly randomly to preset #014. It took me forever to find where it went. Will this file always go to preset 14 or can it be controlled?

When you send a patch sysex to the Axe, it loads it into it's audition buffer. The audition buffer has no correlation to any preset number per se.

That said, if you had preset #14 open on the Axe, and sent the sysex, it'll show up there - the audition "buffer" just takes over the preset that is currently loaded.

From there you can audition the new sysex-pushed preset, tweak it, whatever. But until you save it specifically (either by store/enter/enter for current location, or store/dial to new location/enter), it will be volatile -- meaning that as soon as you audition something new, or move to a new preset, the original auditioned preset you sent via sysex (and any of your changes) are gone.

If you are seeing it in #14 after a power cycle, or after leaving and coming back to preset #14, then you stored it in #14 somehow.

Hope this helps.

If you are seeing it in #14 after a power cycle, or after leaving and coming back to preset #14, then you stored it in #14 somehow.

Hope this helps.

It looks like I did somehow store in #14 but from the send sysex command in midi-ox there is no place to input a location. I was also in preset#32 when I sent the sysex. Somehow it not only went to #14 but saved in #14. Any ideas on how to control this in the future or at least until Axe-edit is trustworthy? Thanks for your reply.

It looks like I did somehow store in #14 but from the send sysex command in midi-ox there is no place to input a location. I was also in preset#32 when I sent the sysex. Somehow it not only went to #14 but saved in #14. Any ideas on how to control this in the future or at least until Axe-edit is trustworthy? Thanks for your reply.

I'm not familiar with MidiOX, so take this as it is.

Using Sysex Librarian on the Mac (and other sysex apps), in my experience there is no option to "send this sysex to this location". Sysex is just a bundle of midi-based code (a tiny program, I guess you can say) that the receiving device will interpret (if it can) and do what it's told. In this case, the sysex app on your computer is just "playing" the midi to the receiving device. If the device is in a mode/position to interpret what is sent, it will do just that.

AFAIK, there is no part of the Axe patch sysex spec that says "heah, this should go to #14".

Grab yourself a backup using Axe Manage (if you need it -- that's safe to do, IMO), and start poking around and troubleshooting with Midi Ox. Seems like there may be something off with your workflow.

Repetition of the process will yield the answer...

Presets saved on Axe-Edit will go to whatever location they were saved to with Axe Edit, meaning that it was the original position where the creator of the patch had that patch, when not using Axe Edit to load them to the Axe you need to find out where they go, I have that happen to me all the time using with SysEx, but it doesn't happen with other patches where Axe Edit wasn't used to save them, so this is the normal behavior, personally I wish all patches would load to the buffer, so it would be easy to find and then we could decide where to save them, if deciding to keep the patch. Before trying any new patches make sure to backup, because those patches will get stored!!! without you even knowing! which is what most likely happened to your patch #14, even if you didn't hit store it gets saved to wherever it was in the original Axe Edit.

Last edited:
Using Bome Sysex, I goto the preste that I want to "write over" or just audition there and that's where it goes. You don't have to tell it anything. But sometimes I have to use the increment dial and go 1 up or down and then back and it's there.
Not a biggie.

Presets saved on Axe-Edit will go to whatever location they were saved to with Axe Edit, meaning that it was the original position where the creator of the patch had that patch

This doesn't seem right to me. I've downloaded and recalled via sysex numerous patches over the last 6 months that were certainly saved with Axe Edit, and I don't ever recall them being loaded into anywhere other than the current buffer/loaded patch position on the Axe.

Perhaps I'm toking up too much.

Can anyone else confirm this?

You would never know where the original creator had the patch so you would just have to go hunting for it and may erase an important patch of your own. That SUCKS. I am really really ready for Axe-Edit to be fixed.

I don't know. I'm still using Axe Edit to load the new patch. It goes to the Axe buffer, I don't care what preset. Then I tweak it ON THE AXE, then store it to whatever preset I choose ON THE AXE. No problems for about 20 presets I downloaded since 8.01a.

You would never know where the original creator had the patch so you would just have to go hunting for it and may erase an important patch of your own. That SUCKS. I am really really ready for Axe-Edit to be fixed.
Ya that's what happens at least to me with what I'm using, and latest Axe firmware, some patches go to the buffer without overwriting anything, and if you want to keep them you have to store it, others will just store themselves in what I assume was the original Axe Edit location, and yes i have to go looking for them which is very time consuming, so for now I'll just wait for the new Axe Edit before auditioning any downloaded patches. Maybe there is some better utility for the Mac to load patches that doesn't behave like that? I think that info might be on the file itself so no matter what you use it will behave the same.

Presets saved on Axe-Edit will go to whatever location they were saved to with Axe Edit, meaning that it was the original position where the creator of the patch had that patch, when not using Axe Edit to load them to the Axe you need to find out where they go, I have that happen to me all the time using with SysEx, but it doesn't happen with other patches where Axe Edit wasn't used to save them, so this is the normal behavior, personally I wish all patches would load to the buffer, so it would be easy to find and then we could decide where to save them, if deciding to keep the patch.

And the award to the longest run on sentence goes to.....:roll

Back
Top Bottom