Axe II less power then Ultra??? What Gives?

OreIda

AxeII Latency changin via midi. Show Stopper!

I hope I am not the only one with this issue. I have my liquid foot pro hooked up to my Ultra like it has been for the last 2 years. Soon as I hit the switch on the pedal I can see the axe change instantly.

When I hook the LF Pro to the Axe II using the identical midi settings as in my Ultra, there is a lag between each change. The LF Pro changes instantly but the Axe II pauses before it goes to the select midi preset. Big time game breaker as Axe II is un usable with this midi latency?

I am hoping others are haveing this issue and maybe it is a firmware issue or a best case some setting.

Thanks

I do not have my Axe II with me now but will check this later. Maybe its not a midi issue but a patch change issue. I thought it was my imagination but using the knob the patches did not change as fast as in the Ultra. Are my patches to complex or is this the split cpu causing the latency? Like I said I will test it later tonight when I have both units.

Has anyone else with an Ultra and Axe II compared the switching times (non midi) between the 2 with similar patches?

Something else in your chain or settings.

5 beta testers, the Fractal team going over it, I doubt this would have been missed.

I haven't noticed any difference in switching. Played 5 gigs with II, 50 songs a night, 15 different patches.
My show went on!

Axe II Slow Switching By Knob - Replicatable

I had posted a thread about what I thought was a slow midi issue. Well it turns out to have nothing to do with midi but how the Axe II changes patches.
I was able to recreate this and can replicate it every time.

When I turn the knob and scroll through the stock patches starting a 1 it moves very fast to the next one. But when I make my own patches, not all of them but a few take ½ second to load. I can replicate this every time so maybe another user can do it also.

My patch is copied from the Ultra, the layout that is and the Ultra loads it super fast.

----------------------------------------------Delay 1 and Delay 2 top row (in parallel)

Phaser – Amp – Cab – Chorus – Flanger – Rotary - - - - - - - - - - Enhancer

----------------------------------------------Reverb 1 and Reverb 2 lower row (in parallel)

You get the idea. That is the basic patch. Yes I know I can use X/Y but that’s not my point as the Axe II should be twice the power.

What in the patch could be causing this or is this too much for the Axe II?????

Posted another thread. Had nothing to do with midi, just I noticed it via midi. It does it with the control knob also.

What percentage does it say the usage is under Utility? I suspect you're using a lot of processing power, which can slow the thing down in some manner.

What percentage does it say the usage is under Utility? I suspect you're using a lot of processing power, which can slow the thing down in some manner.

I have to look in the morning when I unload my gear from the truck. But if I recall it was in the 80% which seemed high to me as the same patch is the Ultra was around 80% and I thougt the Axe II was a different more powerful setup.

How does the CPU load work with 2 processors. Does it just show the main AMP side or is it some combination.

Even with the Ultra at 90%+ I never had a latency issue switching. A while back there was some changes Cliff made to the Ultra firmware to help this ever so slightly

The patch I posted above was from memory as I dont have the Axe in front of me, but its 98% accurate. Will have to start taking it apart in the morning until I find the exact item or items that cause this. Maybe someone can creat the patch above and try it.

Its all on one row but I parallel each delay block above and reverb block below so there is a lot of shunts/crossing there.

You're on the right track, to start "taking it apart" to find the culprit. I'd copy the preset to a new location, and start deleting blocks until you see an improvement in the transfer speed. You also might try copying the preset to a location with blank presets on each side, to see if the adjacent presets are affecting the transfer speed.

I posted another thread on this slow patch changing issue I have been having, wheather via the knob or midi its the same. Its twice as long timewise as a stock pre loaded patches. 1/2 second or so.

I have my Ultra on top of the Axe II and I copied the exact patch layout only. The Ultra runs at 84% and the Axe II at 94% with the exact same patch. I suspect this has something to do with the slow switching, maybe. Why is this cpu load so high? When I purchased the Axe II I was excited about the double power and that my current patches can be expanded even more with the Axe II. But it looks like the exact opposite.

Below is the patch in question which by the way is how all my patches look. I like the parallel delay blocks and reverb blocks.
I used AxeEdit to make the patch for display purposes only.

I am sure hoping this is a firmware issue and not because the effect cpu is physically seperate from the amp cpu.

Patch
Capture.JPG

A quick word of advice: you've posted many new threads all concerning the same issue, and you've created them with a lot of dramatic titles. People are likely not going to pay you much attention because of this. You'd be better served sticking to one thread and simply posting these updates within it.

The axe II DOES have twice the DSP power of the ultra. How much of that DSP power it takes to run the new algorithms for effects and cabs, etc.. was never claimed to be less than what it would cost on the ultra for any given configuration. You're likely going to have to work within the strengths and weaknesses of whatever tool you're using. If that means using x/y for all the effects you're needlessly doubling, then so be it.

Also, are you running the cab block at hi-res? Moving it down to standard, aka hi res on the ultra, will save you a good amount of processor power.

I posted another thread on this slow patch changing issue I have been having, wheather via the knob or midi its the same. Its twice as long timewise as a stock pre loaded patches. 1/2 second or so.

I have my Ultra on top of the Axe II and I copied the exact patch layout only. The Ultra runs at 84% and the Axe II at 94% with the exact same patch. I suspect this has something to do with the slow switching, maybe. Why is this cpu load so high? When I purchased the Axe II I was excited about the double power and that my current patches can be expanded even more with the Axe II. But it looks like the exact opposite.

Below is the patch in question which by the way is how all my patches look. I like the parallel delay blocks and reverb blocks.
I used AxeEdit to make the patch for display purposes only.

I am sure hoping this is a firmware issue and not because the effect cpu is physically seperate from the amp cpu.

Patch
View attachment 5415

Last edited:
Sorry about the multiple posts. Did not think about that when I was posting.

Looks like I will have to be creative with the patches and somehow incorporate X/Y into my pedal board. I was hoping not to as then I will no longer be compatible with my Ultra when I have to use that.

Couple of notes. When I create this layout in a new patch it is at 80%. When I make the delays Stereo Tape and the pitch to fixed harm the cpu spikes up 15% to 93%.

I thought the effects algos were still the same and only the amps and cabs changed, and with a seperate proc for the effects this would not be an issue.

Still not crazy about having to change they way I work patches. Makes it much harder to keep somewhat syncd with my ultra (layout wise) which is use also.

Back
Top Bottom