Axe II has been ordered: what to do first? Let's make a checklist!

SOAWM

Inspired
Dear Fractal enthousiasts,

This morning I emptied my bank-account and transfered a small fortune to G66. Luckily I won a talent contest with the grand price of 2000€ for musical equipment, which enabled me to finally join the Fractal family. I've been on the waiting list since the 3th of june, so I'm getting the Axe much faster than expected. A friend of mine was on the waiting list and his unit was ready to ship, but he still was hesitant. He offered me his unit and after some e-mails with G66, I was able to order his unit on my name. G66 really takes care of it's customers and interacts on a very personal and friendly level!

So this means that I will probably have the unit in a week! What are some of the things I can prepare?

A couple of days ago I cleaned my room and reorganized my desk. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a studiodesk, so I was wondering whether the Axe-Fx is sturdy enough to support the weight of a 27" iMac? It would be really nice to have the unit in the middle of my desk for tweaking.

So what do I do first? Print the 6.2 manual, download presets, ... ?

I'm really excited! Say farewell to my POD X3! :D

I don't think you'd want your Axe to be too close to your iMac..

there will be electromagnetic 'junk' from the processors and monitor that would I imagine bleed into your audio signal...

maybe try to find your Axe a nice home that's a little further away from the iMac if you can..

Why not build a shelf for the Axe to go under and the iMac to go on top of.
G66 will probably also send you a welcome letter and a quick getting started guide.
Download and install Axe Edit.
G66 shipped mine with the latest firmware even though it had only been released just prior to shipping.
Run through the pre sets.
Go through the getting started sheets, G66 will send you.
Eat any chocolates you are sent.
Start getting used to Axe Edit
Take your time and enjoy the ride.

there will be electromagnetic 'junk' from the processors and monitor that would I imagine bleed into your audio signal...

maybe try to find your Axe a nice home that's a little further away from the iMac if you can..

I've been thinking about that aswel, but I fear I don't have another place for the unit. I'm a student living at home, so I don't have that much space. I've drawn a plan to build a wooden construction to put on top of my desk, with room for the Axe and which also brings my monitors to ear-height. Since I live in an apartment, I don't have the space to construct it here, so I have to wait until a friend of mine has the time. He's a professional luthier, so he has all the tools!

Why not build a shelf for the Axe to go under and the iMac to go on top of.
G66 will probably also send you a welcome letter and a quick getting started guide.
Download and install Axe Edit.
G66 shipped mine with the latest firmware even though it had only been released just prior to shipping.
Run through the pre sets.
Go through the getting started sheets, G66 will send you.
Eat any chocolates you are sent.
Start getting used to Axe Edit
Take your time and enjoy the ride.

That's the plan, but I didn't expect to get the Axe this soon! So it may take a while.

I was planning to build something like this:

527731_10151804476135526_204910278_n.jpg

Looks a good design, I need to do something similar. I assume you have XLRs for the powered monitors.

No, I don't have XLR's for the monitors at the moment, since I use RCA's to connect to my iMac. The KRK VXT4's are my main speakers, which I use for music, recording, but also for general computer use.

I was thinking about buying a RCA switcher to switch between the Axe and my iMac.

That's the plan, but I didn't expect to get the Axe this soon! So it may take a while.

I was planning to build something like this:

527731_10151804476135526_204910278_n.jpg

Nice! And as clarky mentioned regarding the electrical interference, maybe you can line the axe fx bay with something to keep it nice and quiet.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Replacing a Pod x3 live, and have been reading the manual this whole last week. Mine should finally arrive today!

No, I don't have XLR's for the monitors at the moment, since I use RCA's to connect to my iMac. The KRK VXT4's are my main speakers, which I use for music, recording, but also for general computer use. I was thinking about buying a RCA switcher to switch between the Axe and my iMac.
You might not need to, as if you connect the AXE FX II to the iMac, via USB (also make sure this is up to date), you can then use that as a sound device. Of course if you want to use the speakers when the AXE is switched off a mixer or something to switch with may be a good choice. Probably it is going to depend on space and so on.

You might not need to, as if you connect the AXE FX II to the iMac, via USB (also make sure this is up to date), you can then use that as a sound device. Of course if you want to use the speakers when the AXE is switched off a mixer or something to switch with may be a good choice. Probably it is going to depend on space and so on.

Thanks for the tip, but since I have music playing all day when I'm at home, I'd rather be able to switch! I'm confident that the Axe-Fx is a very solid device, but I don't feel like running it at least 4 hours a day without playing gitaar through it. ;)

if you suffer with interference, maybe mount it on a nice [and very reliably sturdy - cos the Axe=many $$$] shelf on the wall further from the mac..

do you think there is interference when the Axe is in a (wooden Gator) flight case/rack?

Back
Top Bottom