Axe II Global EQ, I just notched-out the entire 1K band and I liked it (duck)

ripley156

I dunno...

I'll be honest, I hate touching the global because every time I do I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have made some patches (which in my opinion) sound pretty cool with a relatively flat Global EQ but the presets never seemed to make much sense as a whole...

However, I was just monkeying-around and I literally cut-out 100% of the 1K band in the Global EQ and all the presets sounded much more as I would have expected they should have all along...

Ok...What the heck is going on?

Is it because I am in a bedroom context? Self-Fulfilling Prophesy? Newb ears? When I get with my band will my sound be completely lost?

For gear, I have the Axe II and a Matrix Power Amp. I am running in stereo to a Port City OS 2X12 loaded with a M75 and and H75 along with a Voodoo Cab 2X12 loaded with a J75 and an H75.

I know you are supposed to use your ears instead of your eyes and I am guessing that makes his post all the more silly but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this?

Only you can decide what may be the reason and what's right or wrong for you.

But, FWIW, I tweak any given patch (99% my own from scratch) to sound as I want on my nearfields and on my powered stage monitor with global EQs flat.
I only deal with them when other gear, the stage/room at venue etc. call for it.

Are you playing heavy distortion heavy metal type stuff?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Well without being there it's hard to tell, but depending on your monitors there might be a spike around that area from them and this is helping. But I'd wager to say that cutting that much @1kHz in a band setting is going to really be noticeable in the mix and not in a good way. I'm far from an expert, but in my experiences what sounds good by itself usually doesn't cut with a band and the more mids the better...even if it sounds kind of lousy in front of you.

But you may have stumbled onto something amazing, who knows?

Nothing wrong with using eq as tone shaping - I do it all the time. It's a staple in any studio and live.
I won't advise taking out ALL of the 1k tho.....you might find that using a parmetric eq with a fairly wide Q in your patches may help you getting that kind of sound. I use a para EQ on most patches - more as corrective and to kill unwanted freqencies, but you can use it to get that 'sound' too.

You might be tweaking out a room resonance, a cab resonance, or who knows what else.

Use your ears? Definitely. But tweak for where you're playing. What sounds good in the bedroom will sound different in a larger room at gig levels. And it'll sound different again in the mix.
When you get with your band...use your ears again. :)

If you're playing for yourself, yes, removing lots of 1k will sound pleasant. In a context you'll most probably be lost (or have to turn up loud).

Dimebag scooped his mids like no other, and it really worked for their sound and vibe. If that's the sound your going for, then you might be on your way to a really cool sound!

You could post a snippet of a song or just some playing to get reactions from other Axe users (here), in different rooms with different monitors and ears.

+1 - it's always good to get another pair of ears to hear your stuff.

I'd still advise scooping out ALL of the band - a somewhat aggressive notch may be sufficient - 3-5 db or so. Might not seem like a lot, but it is!

Back
Top Bottom