Axe II "E" hum from unit - normal?

Womac911

Inspired
Just received my AxeII last week. Enjoying it quite a bit. Axe Edit is working for me for the most part with fw 8.01. A little buggy, but I'm not getting a lot of crashes.

Anyways, I do notice that when the AxeII is turned on, there is a quite audible "E" A-string 19th fret style hum emanating from the unit.

In contrast, the Eleven rack next to it is silent.

Is the hum from the unit normal?

Hmmm....You may want to clarify some more for others to help diagnose......

Is the unit making this 'hum' with anything plugged into it? (ie. no guitar, no outputs, no usb, etc....just power?)
What is plugged into the unit...if anything? (unplug everything except power)

Do you have the unit isolated away from anything else plugged in?

No, not normal. I'd suspect a ground loop of some sort somewhere. Check your cabling. The Axe-FX is extremely well behaved in terms of a noise floor.

I have a similar thing too, through the XLR out's I get a background High F# (like a 1st string 26th fret - if there was one...)
I always assumed it was something to do with the internal fan. I have checked my cables and they are good. The ground lift switch does not cure it. It is audible, but pretty low in volume compared to the main signal, and not a big deal to me, so I just live with it.

That ain't right. It's supposed to be a C#.

Dammit, so now I'm going to need to re-tune my AFX to C# ??

Seriously though, my F# is barely audible at normal levels and all but dissapears when playing, so it's a non-issue, unlike the OP who appears to have a different problem altogether. Sorry to hijack the thread....Womac911. The Axe-FxII is a hell of a lot less noisy than ANY traditional valve or transistor amp i've ever owned.

I read that to mean fan noise from the chassis, not hum in the audio path.

Correct. It's not in the audio patch. Like fan or power supply hum.
Oddly, it's not doing it at the moment.. but then again, I did just come in from a loudish shop environment so I may not be able to hear it.

Not quite like the whirr of a fan though. I can hear the fan whirr just fine. Pretty quiet.

Edit.. yep, still doing it.

It won't sound like fan noise because there's no opening in the chassis. You will just get a vibration hum from the top of the enclosure.

My fan is a high E too. It's a little distracting when trying to tune sometimes... I've been afraid to try a quieter one though, don't want to void the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom