Axe II DSP For FX Only?

DJD100

Power User
Am I to understand that if one is not instantiating any Amp Blocks that there's only one DSP available for FX (same as the Ultra), or is there some CPU load-sharing happening when there are no Amp Blocks instantiated thus allowing the Axe II's increased DSP to be available for FX?

Thanks...

Am I to understand that if one is not instantiating any Amp Blocks that there's only one DSP available for FX (same as the Ultra), or is there some CPU load-sharing happening when there are no Amp Blocks instantiated thus allowing the Axe II's increased DSP to be available for FX?

Thanks...

Interesting question

One DSP for amps and cabs, the other for FX. As of this post that's the official line on how the DSPs are used. No amps or cabs? Second DSP isn't used.

Honestly, the Amp and Cab simulations have always been the biggest DSP hogs. There's plenty of horsepower there for effects in a single patch with one DSP. I can almost load up one of every kind of block (except an Amp and Cab block) before the CPU load tops out. That's for an Ultra or a Axe-Fx II.

It does seem that if this is the case, there is little reason to upgrade for someone only using the it for effects, I can't imagine how you could max out the dsp using only effects though

Really? For me, the usb functionality and workflow improvements (knobs!, x/y) are compelling enough reasons to upgrade even without the new gen modeling and increased DSP power.

It does seem that if this is the case, there is little reason to upgrade for someone only using the it for effects, I can't imagine how you could max out the dsp using only effects though

You can definitely max it out if you start pilling in multiples of the some of the blocks (reverb for example). It really depends on what you need for effects in a single patch.

Plus: new effect blocks in the II!

from what i understand, the quality of the effects are greatly improved since cliff rewrote the algorithms. also there have been effect "type" additions to the axe fx II. i think it's going to be worth it to upgrade

It does seem that if this is the case, there is little reason to upgrade for someone only using the it for effects

Well, you're maybe missing the fact that the effect capability has also been nicely improved. There's XY, plus many blocks have new sound capabilities -- Delay, Reverb, Flanger, Drive, Chorus, Flanger, Looper, (others?).... The new modifier system is also great (read up on MIN/MAX in the manual) and many useful additional mod targets (-[ ]-) have been added. There is also the fact that if you're using it with a guitar amp, the new i/o design has a much lower noise floor and built-in ground loop noise reduction! Many other reasons too... (MFC port, USB, bigger display, quick control, etc.).

Perhaps cliff can in a future firmware upgrade make both chips do both things, or have the user select which effect is used on which DPS chip for advanced ppl. Sounds doable anyways...give him some time =P

The effects were so stellar before, i've never used it as an effects only unit so that's not the first thing that comes to mind for me, all good points/reasons on why it's worth the upgrade from an effects only standpoint

Perhaps cliff can in a future firmware upgrade make both chips do both things, or have the user select which effect is used on which DPS chip for advanced ppl. Sounds doable anyways...give him some time =P

Maybe, maybe not..... Certain concepts may, or may not be implementable, simply because provisions may not exist to enable the concept's functionality. I.e., analogy, If two railroad tracks cross, or run parallel, can a passing train go onto either track at the intersection? Without the provision of a track "Switch", this simply cannot happen.

Quick story, there was a truck that had traveled under a bridge and was a few inches too tall. It had gotten severely stuck and came to a halt about one third of the way through the underpass. Many police, tow truck drivers and other public workers tried to extract the truck with great difficulty but could not. When a young girl tugged at one of the police officers and innocently asked, "why don't you just let the air out of the tires Mr........

Truck was out ten minutes later.

Maybe due to the huge processing power (which many users have indicated as being well more than enough) already available on each of the two processors, this seemingly obvious potential dual processor, shared resource option just was not on the plate during development...

FAS most likely has considered this already. However, I am sure there is a logical reason (possibly $$$ costs, as most users shouldn't be paying for something almost nobody would need resulting in an AXE costing $150 more for a rarely used feature)

In any case, this is a very interesting theory, concept & question. I'd love to hear the answer too out of sheer curiosity, as I for one don't see a real need for it, although I do see it's huge potential to make for a super powerhouse for certain applications even if rarely used.

Last edited:
Axe FX II user manual page 11
"One processor is devoted solely to amp modeling while the other handles effects processing and system tasks."
I suspect they need to limit the amount of back and forth traffic between the two processors to keep latency to a minimum, so two mono amps means no more than 4 mono connections.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses.

I do regularly max out my Ultra in spite of the fact that I use it 4CM with tube amps in my big rig. I have multiple FX chains that I select with one controller button each so I'm generally using all the delays and pitch shifters, all trems, all choruses, all drives, one wah, one looper, and if going DI a cab block too, so it all adds up.

While I think there are a number of compelling reasons to upgrade to a Axe II in spite of the fact that it's DSP is no greater for FX (BBD sims in time-based FX, USB, X-Y settings, CAB Sims with 2048 point IR's and Room Rev, and more "named" user IR slots, balanced I/O), it's likely not as mission critical as it might of been otherwise.

Of course, the improved G2 amp sims could dictate whether the purchase becomes mission critical or not as well, but I have to wait and hear them in person etc?

It would be interesting to know whether CPU load-sharing for FX will possibly be implemented in a future upgrade as well?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Yes, I could use two Fractal boxes, but I'm always concerned about size and weight. My big rig is 4U and 30 lbs, and contains the Ultra and a custom 50W tube RM2 running custom Egnater/Randall MTS modules and a padded low-power tube amp, time/phase aligned with the Ultra's amp blocks, so while I could slip the Ultra post the tube pre's programming would be more of a PITA and latency would increase a little, and I'd gain another 20lbs with the bigger rack.

Worst case maybe, but I'd rather keep it all in one Fractal box if possible?

use your ultra for effects and run it to your axe II as an external effects block =P

Why would you be using cab sims for fx only use? Are you running the preamp modules into the axe? Also the cab modeling should be handled by the amp processor I believe so you're at least gaining the cab block dsp back

You have 384 presets, why do you put so much stuff in 1 of them? You can easy break this in more than 1 preset and switch between the presets.

In the II also you can use the x/y switching, that doubled the amount of the amps and most effect blocks without additional pocessor load. When you in the Ultra have 2 delays, you need only 1 with different x/y settings in the AXE II.

Yes, the tube pre's and padded low-power tube amp are in the Axe's FX Loop (4CM). The Axe provides both pre tube and post tube FX.

As I understand it only the amp sims are on the amp DSP, everything else including the cab sims are on the other DSP?

Why would you be using cab sims for fx only use? Are you running the preamp modules into the axe? Also the cab modeling should be handled by the amp processor I believe so you're at least gaining the cab block dsp back

I have different presets, which have the required changes for different tunes in the set, though I prefer not having to worry about presets as much as possible, and just turn the available fx chains on/off via IA. Just a personal preference is all.

Yes, the Axe II x/y will come in handy.

You have 384 presets, why do you put so much stuff in 1 of them? You can easy break this in more than 1 preset and switch between the presets.

In the II also you can use the x/y switching, that doubled the amount of the amps and most effect blocks without additional pocessor load. When you in the Ultra have 2 delays, you need only 1 with different x/y settings in the AXE II.

Back
Top Bottom