Axe II Driver problem???

BrianJ

Inspired
Hey guys...I just recently upgraded to the current version of the firmware as well as the newer usb driver and axe-edit. After install I was able to connect to the axe 2 and it seems like axe edit is communicating with the axe 2 ok...however, I still have this error showing up from the install...what does this mean?

usb.jpg

Is this normal? It says it failed install properly...???

I didn't...I'll try that...

But does anyone know why it seems to be working???

What is the difference between "AXE FX II" and "AXE FX II AUDIO"???

So, no midi data would be able to be transferred if that driver doesn't get installed properly? What will that effect exactly???

If I wasnt sure I got a clean install of the driver I would uninstall it and install again with a reboot. If I remember there was partial functionality before the driver fully installed. I rebooted and windows completed the driver install. At that point everything worked fine. Not sure this is what you are referring to.

So, no midi data would be able to be transferred if that driver doesn't get installed properly? What will that effect exactly???
AxeEdit would not be able to communicate with the Axe-II. Audio should still process..

My history of driver problems....is anyone happy with this driver or is it just me

I've had intermittent problems with the driver, ranging from loss of USB connection to the system hanging. I would frequently have to reboot to get the system to see the Axe, even after working successfully.

The hangs usually occur when starting Axe Edit but somtimes while editing. I got completely hosed when I installed the 1.50 (latest) driver. Numerious uninstalls/reinstalls and attempted reinstall of 1.29 were unsuccessful. So, I upgraded form XP to Win 7 with a clean install on a new drive. I'd been thinking about moving up and figured this was a good time.

So, on Win 7, I was unable to install 1.29, Windows kept asking me to plug in the device. I then tried 1.50 and it did install. Axe Edit worked for me last night (first I tried since the upgrade), however, the audio driver is not working. Interestingly, this was working fine when I was on XP. I changed the default audio device to the AXEII and it seemed to take, but when I play songs in iTunes, no sound. Axe is on and speakers are connected. I went back in to device settings and verified that the Axe was still the default (it was), then I clicked on the recording tab in the dialog and the system hung. I had to do a hard shut down. After the re booted I started Axe Edit and it would display the patch names when I changed them but did not load the patch. So I shut down and rebooted again, and this time it was OK

Based on the past history, I'm afraid to do anything since I seem to finally have Axe Edit working. Generally, I've found this driver to range from glitchy (at best) to non-functional.

Is anyone out there experiencing any of these problems? Is anyone happy with this driver?

Thanks

Other than the install issue it has only hung once in AxeEdit. The tuner will time out on occassion and have to be restarted but I can live with that. I am using the 1.29 driver and 2.0 firmware.

I've had intermittent problems with the driver, ranging from loss of USB connection to the system hanging. I would frequently have to reboot to get the system to see the Axe, even after working successfully.

The hangs usually occur when starting Axe Edit but somtimes while editing. I got completely hosed when I installed the 1.50 (latest) driver. Numerious uninstalls/reinstalls and attempted reinstall of 1.29 were unsuccessful. So, I upgraded form XP to Win 7 with a clean install on a new drive. I'd been thinking about moving up and figured this was a good time.

So, on Win 7, I was unable to install 1.29, Windows kept asking me to plug in the device. I then tried 1.50 and it did install. Axe Edit worked for me last night (first I tried since the upgrade), however, the audio driver is not working. Interestingly, this was working fine when I was on XP. I changed the default audio device to the AXEII and it seemed to take, but when I play songs in iTunes, no sound. Axe is on and speakers are connected. I went back in to device settings and verified that the Axe was still the default (it was), then I clicked on the recording tab in the dialog and the system hung. I had to do a hard shut down. After the re booted I started Axe Edit and it would display the patch names when I changed them but did not load the patch. So I shut down and rebooted again, and this time it was OK

Based on the past history, I'm afraid to do anything since I seem to finally have Axe Edit working. Generally, I've found this driver to range from glitchy (at best) to non-functional.

Is anyone out there experiencing any of these problems? Is anyone happy with this driver?

Thanks

Other than the lock ups which have been corrected. It is working good for me. I would suggest you contact support and have them work through your issue after the lockup issue fix (if you still have issue - which it sounds like you will). I am using win7 x64.

I've had intermittent problems with the driver, ranging from loss of USB connection to the system hanging. I would frequently have to reboot to get the system to see the Axe, even after working successfully. <br>
<br>
The hangs usually occur when starting Axe Edit but somtimes while editing. I got completely hosed when I installed the 1.50 (latest) driver. Numerious uninstalls/reinstalls and attempted reinstall of 1.29 were unsuccessful. So, I upgraded form XP to Win 7 with a clean install on a new drive. I'd been thinking about moving up and figured this was a good time. <br>
<br>
So, on Win 7, I was unable to install 1.29, Windows kept asking me to plug in the device. I then tried 1.50 and it did install. Axe Edit worked for me last night (first I tried since the upgrade), however, the audio driver is not working. Interestingly, this was working fine when I was on XP. I changed the default audio device to the AXEII and it seemed to take, but when I play songs in iTunes, no sound. Axe is on and speakers are connected. I went back in to device settings and verified that the Axe was still the default (it was), then I clicked on the recording tab in the dialog and the system hung. I had to do a hard shut down. After the re booted I started Axe Edit and it would display the patch names when I changed them but did not load the patch. So I shut down and rebooted again, and this time it was OK<br>
<br>
Based on the past history, I'm afraid to do anything since I seem to finally have Axe Edit working. Generally, I've found this driver to range from glitchy (at best) to non-functional. <br>
<br>
Is anyone out there experiencing any of these problems? Is anyone happy with this driver?<br>
<br>
Thanks
I've been running Win7x64 since the MS RC version, so been on it a while. I do NOT have these issues. Yes, the initial install of 1.50 USB driver (upgrading from 1.29) was a bit rough, but other than that... <shrug>
If you (anyone) has trouble with the drivers on Win7 - completely uninstall the prior drivers, reboot and re-install. DO NOT respond to MS prompts about driver installs - ignore or cancel them. IIRC it states that much in the install/release notes for the driver upgrade. If you respond to the MS prompts it WILL screw up your install as MS takes over. Not optimal.
You state that the audio drivers do not work , then stated "I changed the default audio device to the AXEII and it seemed to take, but when I play songs in iTunes, no sound. Axe is on and speakers are connected. "
I did that and it works great with iTunes, Winamp and Reaper and any other playback device I tried that uses the deafult audio device. Which begs a question.. Did you confirm playback via the headphone jack or just speakersr? How are your speakers connected to the Axe? You sure they are working/connected correctly?

Ans, keep in mind that as soon as you turn off the Axe-II, the audio driver goes "to sleep" and Win7 will RESET the default audio device to the sound card. It will re-assign the default device back to the Axe-II Speakers when you restart it. So if you play something in iTunes while the Axe-II is OFF, you'll get routed to the "current" default audio drivers - in my case my PC speakers.

I would recommend a complete uninstall of the 1.50 drivers. Delete the contents of the C:\Fractal Audio Systems folder (and the child folders) and reboot. Re-install the USB drivers, ignoring any MS prompts, and (of course) follow directions on when to power up (cycle) the Axe. It's a 2-part install. You'll be happy with it once you get it going.

Let us know... hope this helps..

Back
Top Bottom