Axe II convert, New to forum.

Griff_NZ

Inspired
Greetings all.

For the last couple of years I've been going back and forwards between tube amps and my Atomic Amplifire for gigs. Started with modded Jet City amps that were great sounding but lacked the versatility for the covers my band plays. Went to a Laney Ironheart combo because of the clean/crunch/OD channels with switchable reverb and boost. More versatile but didn't really cut through for some reason.

My Atomic Amplifire was actually a huge step up tonally and for the ground it could cover imo, but the effects are really average, and it was bothering me.
Because of my OCD with tone I found myself doing all sorts of weird eq stuff to get some of the amp models to sound, well, perfect. and that was bothering me too. However once I was happy with my tones, I was plugging it into the FX return of my Laney combo and mic'ing it up at gigs, sounded great.
But I felt it's probably time to go next level. So I got on the waiting list for the Fm3 here in New Zealand, waited for a few months then a used Axe II popped up on Marketplace so I jumped on it. I have an MFC 101 on its way too.
I received it about 5 days ago. I plugged my Axe into the Laney, cab sims off and oh.my.god.. in love! The tone this thing puts out is amaze-balls! It's hot molten love lol
Now I see what all the fuss is about. I just love all the tweaking options too. I am gobsmacked that I have such a pro piece of gear that sounds this good. It has the feel too, it's just awesome!

Today I received an ISP Stealth 180 watt power amp from a friend and I did a bit of 'power amp rolling'.
I also have a Peavey Classsic 50/50 stereo power amp that runs 8 x 84's. Tried it with that too, and of course my Laney with 6l6's and the toroidal tranny.
The ISP lasted only 5 minutes, probably less. Flubby undefined bass, sterile, lifeless. Straight back in the box it went. Sold it today to some other poor soul to power his Kemper. I wish him the best with it.
The Peavey is awesome actually. Has a lot of midrange and definition and moved a lot of air in bridged 100 watt mode. But compared to the Laney it fell a bit short. The Laney power section sounded huge and clean, dynamic, ballsy, you name it!
So I will probably get a power station one day and do the tube power amp/cab thing properly.
The Laney is running Eminence Governor speakers and they are excellent. Very clear sounding and unforgiving. I'm going to sell my V30's, they dont sound very good with the Axe.
The Emi's are great because you can hear any minor tweaks you make in the advanced parameters really well. They still sound good with Power amp and cabinet modeling on or off too. Sleeper speakers.

I have a lot to learn.. there's so much in this unit, but I'm actually looking forward to building all my patches from scratch and gigging with it this summer.
I haven't played too many amps on it yet, but the Deliverance, the standard JCM 800 and the JVM just slay!

So yeah, I look forward to mingling in this forum. Very happy Axe owner here!
Cliff, cheers bro :):guitar:

Welcome to the Fractal Family. Be prepared to lose yourself for a while inside the Axe-FX. Lots of great videos and groups on youtube, presets in axechange, good tools in Fractool and tons of info in the fractal forum and fractal audio wiki to keep you busy. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers, Perry.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=&fields=all&products=0&setups=1
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

Welcome Griff,
Your OCD should be kept busy with a Fractal unit :)
Thanks
Pauly

Greetings all.

For the last couple of years I've been going back and forwards between tube amps and my Atomic Amplifire for gigs. Started with modded Jet City amps that were great sounding but lacked the versatility for the covers my band plays. Went to a Laney Ironheart combo because of the clean/crunch/OD channels with switchable reverb and boost. More versatile but didn't really cut through for some reason.

My Atomic Amplifire was actually a huge step up tonally and for the ground it could cover imo, but the effects are really average, and it was bothering me.
Because of my OCD with tone I found myself doing all sorts of weird eq stuff to get some of the amp models to sound, well, perfect. and that was bothering me too. However once I was happy with my tones, I was plugging it into the FX return of my Laney combo and mic'ing it up at gigs, sounded great.
But I felt it's probably time to go next level. So I got on the waiting list for the Fm3 here in New Zealand, waited for a few months then a used Axe II popped up on Marketplace so I jumped on it. I have an MFC 101 on its way too.
I received it about 5 days ago. I plugged my Axe into the Laney, cab sims off and oh.my.god.. in love! The tone this thing puts out is amaze-balls! It's hot molten love lol
Now I see what all the fuss is about. I just love all the tweaking options too. I am gobsmacked that I have such a pro piece of gear that sounds this good. It has the feel too, it's just awesome!

Today I received an ISP Stealth 180 watt power amp from a friend and I did a bit of 'power amp rolling'.
I also have a Peavey Classsic 50/50 stereo power amp that runs 8 x 84's. Tried it with that too, and of course my Laney with 6l6's and the toroidal tranny.
The ISP lasted only 5 minutes, probably less. Flubby undefined bass, sterile, lifeless. Straight back in the box it went. Sold it today to some other poor soul to power his Kemper. I wish him the best with it.
The Peavey is awesome actually. Has a lot of midrange and definition and moved a lot of air in bridged 100 watt mode. But compared to the Laney it fell a bit short. The Laney power section sounded huge and clean, dynamic, ballsy, you name it!
So I will probably get a power station one day and do the tube power amp/cab thing properly.
The Laney is running Eminence Governor speakers and they are excellent. Very clear sounding and unforgiving. I'm going to sell my V30's, they dont sound very good with the Axe.
The Emi's are great because you can hear any minor tweaks you make in the advanced parameters really well. They still sound good with Power amp and cabinet modeling on or off too. Sleeper speakers.

I have a lot to learn.. there's so much in this unit, but I'm actually looking forward to building all my patches from scratch and gigging with it this summer.
I haven't played too many amps on it yet, but the Deliverance, the standard JCM 800 and the JVM just slay!

So yeah, I look forward to mingling in this forum. Very happy Axe owner here!
Cliff, cheers bro :):guitar:

Back
Top Bottom