AXE II compared to AX8 through a CLR

Adinfinitum

Experienced
My AXE II is in my home studio. I have it going through a CLR (after i tried a Behringer monitor, then a QSC - CLR was significantly better sounding to me).

My AX8 is in my bedroom (because I'm too lazy to go downstairs most of the time). It sits next to a Helix, KPS, AF12 and a computer full of AU guitar sims (usualy suspects - AmpliTube, S-Gear, UAD, Softube, etc).

These go into a Mackie Mixer and then into a Xitone 10 in cab and Equator Stereo D5. Previously i used a Tech21 TM10 into FX return as well as a few other monitors.

I switch inputs via muting or unmuting the channels on the Mackie. I use Radial switchbox to send the guitar into each device.

To my ears, all the modelers through both the Xitone and several NF monitors I've tried sound very harsh. Any amp that has gain sounds, and I hate to say it, but fizzy. Not warm, smooth.

My AXE II through the CLR sounds significantly better - at least similar to the many vids and Soundcloud clips I've listen to on this forum. But still, not as good as playing through my various amps.

Note - I've been using the Axe since 2007, but of course, i can still be doing something wrong.

So, i took the AX8 downstairs and compared it to the AXE playing a Plexi through the CLR with the same knob settings on each unit (i didn't check the IRs used, but will later). After matching volume, i kept switching between the two. The Axe definitely sounded better than the AX8. The AX8 sounded a little muffled. It was close but i would have chosen the AXE as between the two. Note - Axe was using the recent 7.01 beta and the AX8 was in 6.3.

Has anyone else had the same experience comparing the two units?

What about monitors, both NF and FRFR? Anyone thinks it sounds harsh, fizzy as well?

I can't load clips since I'm tearing down my studio to mive things around.

Thanks.

I don't get the point of doing this if your not running and equivalent version of the firmware with regards to amp modeling.

I had both units at the same time, and for equivalent patches, there was zero difference I could hear between my FxII and the AX8, nor should there be any. Get BOTH your AX8 and FXII running the same modeling version and assuming you don't have any global eq tweaks etc on the FXII, they will sound the same

Not harsh to me. Them again, maybe I like harsh. I don't think so, though.

Do guitar recordings sound harsh to you on the same speakers? Your fave CD's? You should be able to get really close tones like those with the Fractals and I've heard with the KPA and AF too.

As for the same as tube amps... You know amp-in-the-room is hard to exactly match for a variety of reasons. Impossible. But getting close, within reason, should be.

To my ears, all the modelers through both the Xitone and several NF monitors I've tried sound very harsh. Any amp that has gain sounds, and I hate to say it, but fizzy. Not warm, smooth.

The first thing I would ask is..
In the cab block, what are your High and Low cut frequencies set to?
In the amp block on the speaker tab, what is your high resonance set to?
I find these 3 parameters extremely important in shaping my tone.

I've been using the AX8 through a Mission Engineering Gemini cab for over a year now and have not experienced any harshness or fizziness. When I read these comments, my first thoughts are there is something wrong.

The Gemini and Xitone cabs both use Eminence coaxial drivers and I would certainly tell you through experience that they are warm and smooth if you choose.

One cause of fizziness and harshness is excessive presence in the circuit and exaggerated input drive and trim settings.

I have a set CLR's in the mancave and I get a similar result after upgrading the XL+ to Q7b2, by choosing previous modeling versions in the advanced amp menu. I didn't notice it before but Q7 adds clarity and removes some frequency "smearing or phasing" that wasn't noticeable until you've heard it. Q7 seems more raw amp vs a more refined sound of previous FW to me.

No difference between Axe-Fx and AX8 when:
- running the same Quantum version
- identical presets
- identical global settings.

Only difference is that the AX8 has fixed input impedance, where the Axe-Fx has variable.

Reactions: Cem
Uh, no. I've done this with the same firmware version as well. And it rallyndoesnt matter what particular IR i Use (i stick to the Presets ones. I'm also running Fractal patches, not my own. The AX8 always sounded not as good as the AX2. I will start fresh on the Ax8 and see if it improves the sound.

Looking forward to 7. Otherwise, i'm not sure my wife would want a CLR in the bedroom at melt your face SPLs.

Back
Top Bottom