Axe II clean sounds

kuky

Hello ... im currently a amplitube3/fender user and im quite satisfied with it ... as often happens im looking for more :mrgreen . I mainly use clean tones ( delays ,reverbs ... u2 kinda sounds ). I never had a chance to hear an Axe live ( of course i heard samples on youtube .... hearing stuff in live thur right spekers in stereo is probably different ). Is axe II a very different league also in those kind of sounds ? ...also what monitors do you recomend for mainly cleans for a small room ? ( im looking at focals csm40 , adam a3x ... ). Tnx guys.

even the Axe I destroyed Amplitube 3/Fender/whatever

and I used that plugin a lot over the years - always a fight - not as bad as GR, but still a bitch.

Yeah, let´s hear some 7ender tones like that one:
‪Mike Schermer at HMB 4 24 11‬‏ - YouTube

I have tried to achieve such a tone with the Axe-FX Standard but haven´t really succeeded, using the Standard with a Fender 62 American Vintage Tele and a FBT Verve 12ma. The high end and/or the drive from the amp never seemed right...

Hopefully the Axe II will get me there...

I had an Ultra and now have an Axe II. Some gigs I play I need a sound similar to Mike Schermer (nice player I hadn't heard before, great vibe in that video). Whoever said the Axe II was like having the condom taken off got it right to me. I loved the Ultra particularly for things with a bit more drive than this, but for these in between spongy elastic drive sounds, the Axe II is MUCH better. I feel much more connection between me/guitar/amp/sound than with the Ultra. The 65 Bassman and the AC30 have that textural bite that you hear on his sound. The last couple of gigs with the II have been some of the happiest of my musical life in terms of my ability to get those kind of responsive dynamic tones. Sounds fantastic with my Danocaster tele (a great guitar). My bandmates have totally noticed, too, and said they'd never heard me play or sound better than during those gigs.

Conversely, last night I played a gig without the Axe II (shipped it back because of MFC Ethernet not functioning with longer cables) and it was frustrating as hell. I had a little too much amp for the gig and could never get into that guitar/amp responsive zone. It frustrated the hell out of me and I know I didn't play nearly as well as in the previous couple of gigs.

I'd be shocked if you didn't find the clean into slight gain tones a huge improvement on the Axe II.

Yeah, let´s hear some 7ender tones like that one:
‪Mike Schermer at HMB 4 24 11‬‏ - YouTube

I have tried to achieve such a tone with the Axe-FX Standard but haven´t really succeeded, using the Standard with a Fender 62 American Vintage Tele and a FBT Verve 12ma. The high end and/or the drive from the amp never seemed right...

Hopefully the Axe II will get me there...

Cleans are excellent.
You will love them.
Amplitube stuff is decent but the feel of the AXE II is right there with a real tube amp.

...also what monitors do you recomend for mainly cleans for a small room ? ( im looking at focals csm40 , adam a3x ... ). Tnx guys.

I have the Focal CMS-50s and I've been very happy with them. I can't say how they compare to the Adams or any of the others you might be interested in, though, and of course your room will have a lot to do with the sound.

Hi

I would agree that the "sparkly Fender cleans" sound better on the AXE FX2 vs the Ultra.Sometimes in September I can then really give it a shootout when this arrives

(Fender Deluxe Reverb clone-->Weber 6A20-->only "illegal non standard part" is Master Volume)

Roland

Thanks for posting! That was really clean, and it sounded very good to me :).

Can you - or someone else - do another one with a PUSHED Fender Deluxe Reverb, but only so much that single notes still sound clean, but when you play two strings at the same time (a double stop) the amp will go into overdrive. Basically, a Fender Deluxe right at the edge of breakup. I really would like to hear how that sounds on the Axe II because that is my usual live tone for 95% of the stuff I´m doing...

Thanks in advance to all you Fender Blues guys that already have an Axe II

Here's an attempt at a recording I put on sound cloud. Still new to recording. I used a PRS McCarty, middle position then bridge. Deluxe reverb model on axe-fx II, Slight drive with TS808 pedal, little delay and reverb, all on axe-fx II. Link below.

Deluxe verb by KJR321 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks KJR321 for posting this. That sound is going into the right direction. I think the Axe II is really better than the Gen 1 Axes in terms of mild breakup from Fender amps.

BUT: you used the TS808 pedal to add some drive. Do you think that that tone could be achieved without any drive pedals, just from the amp alone? I don´t like drive pedals all that much and usually get the "drive" from the amp itself.

I really would love to hear the amp alone, with the drive in the amp section turned up to that specific breakup point. And if someone could use a Tele that would be perfect (everybody seems to be using PRS guitars here...). Just a basic setup like that (in the good old analog "tube amp" days ;-)):

Fender Tele, bridge pickup, tone rolled back a little --> Fender Deluxe Reverb, Volume at 6 or 7

That would be great :)

Thanks KJR321 for posting this. That sound is going into the right direction. I think the Axe II is really better than the Gen 1 Axes in terms of mild breakup from Fender amps.

BUT: you used the TS808 pedal to add some drive. Do you think that that tone could be achieved without any drive pedals, just from the amp alone? I don´t like drive pedals all that much and usually get the "drive" from the amp itself.

I really would love to hear the amp alone, with the drive in the amp section turned up to that specific breakup point. And if someone could use a Tele that would be perfect (everybody seems to be using PRS guitars here...). Just a basic setup like that (in the good old analog "tube amp" days ;-)):

Fender Tele, bridge pickup, tone rolled back a little --> Fender Deluxe Reverb, Volume at 6 or 7

The Axe II does rock at that. I should be able to record a clip this week or next weekend. In the meantime, here's more of the same: https://sites.google.com/a/inrerocknroll.com/home/tunes/CleanMachine2.mp3

I just played around a little bit tonight with the Deluxe Verb.
Was playing my Jaros chambered double cutaway with Lord of the Blues PAF type pickups.
Has an 335 type vibe with a little more grunt.

Just amp/cab/slight delay/slight reverb.
Cab was 1X12 Tweed Deluxe.
Mic was R121 Cond
Had Drive at 8
Vol at 7
Boost on

Took me 1 minute to set up working straight off of Preset 003.

Plenty of just starting to growl break up. When you dig in with the pick attack it is like giving a horse the whip.
Very Tab Benoit -ish.

You will love it.

Last edited:
I just played around a little bit tonight with the Deluxe Verb.
Was playing my Jaros chambered double cutaway with Lord of the Blues PAF type pickups.
Has an 335 type vibe with a little more grunt.

Just amp/cab/slight delay/slight reverb.
Cab was 1X12 Tweed Deluxe.
Mic was R121 Cond
Had Drive at 8
Vol at 7
Boost on

Took me 1 minute to set up working straight off of Preset 003.

Plenty of just starting to growl break up. When you dig in with the pick attack it is like giving a horse the whip.
Very Tab Benoit -ish.

You will love it.

That sounds great. Can you post a recording of that?

I´m now really looking forward to getting my Axe II soon (I live in Switzerland so I´ll have to wait some more...).

I love what Tab Benoit is doing, and I will be able to see him in October when I´m going to New Orleans for 10 days. He will play at the Blues&Barbecue Festival :) I´m reeeaaaalllly looking forward to going back to the Big Easy again :) Laissez les bon temps rouler. Who dat! :)

Back
Top Bottom