Bug? Axe II amp or unit goes into bypass when using controllers

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
This issue has been brought up several times in various threads by a number of people.

There seems to be some agreement that this happens when the MFC is connected AND Axe Edit is running. This is not true for me. I NEVER used Axe Edit on stage, and the issue, unfortunately, only happens to me when I am performing.

Mostly, the amp block goes into bypass. This occurs apparently ONLY when using an expression pedal. Occasionally (rarely) the whole unit goes into bypass and this has not happened to me since version3.xx.

I am posting this because I want it known that the issue is still alive and well ... unfortunately.

You're right in that this has been reported before.

We have tried to reproduce this but can't get it to happen.
Please post all details of your setup and the steps you take to cause the problem?

Thanks

OK. Just happened again. But this time, no block or unit was bypassed. The volume just dropped by 20 dB or more, enough to sound inaudible with the band. Changing preset resolved it. But because I was in rehearsal I had time to examine the preset in detail. Nothing bypassed. I turned on and off each block with no change. Let me know what other test you want me to do next time it happens.

A couple of trouble-shoot ideas for comparison sake...thinking out loud...(I hope these don't aggravate you further as they may be obvious and you've already done this - I know - it sux when this stuff happens) :

- start with nothing else plugged into the axeFx but your guitar---cable---output---cable---amp. You need to make sure that the intermittent problem is not the fault of something in front of or after the AxeFx.

- Change your guitar, cables, and monitoring source

- if you have one, try a back-up MIDI pedal or other source from which you can transmit patch changes (computer, keyboard, etc.). Try to isolate that the problem is in fact only caused by your expression pedal.

- ditto with a backup expression pedal

- try using the AxeFx's dedicated pedal input for your Exp Pedal source (if you are currently using Exp Pedal via MFC), bypassing use of the MFC altogether.

In reading the OP, personally I'd want to be dead sure that the MIDI/Exp pedal wasn't the culprit here, and then move on to the AxeFx itself. I personally remember chasing down similar random bypasses and volume changes at the early stages of programming my Ultra, and eventually wound up cleaning out all of my pedal presets one-by-one to make sure only essential MIDI data was coming out of the thing. Seems to have worked in my case.

This may be getting a little deep, but if you have some kind of computer software MIDI stream monitor (MIDI OX), you could try connecting that to your MIDI pedal, and if you understand what all the hex means, you could see if something is corrupt in the stream, or if in fact your pedal movement is/isn't sending out a weird control value or other random nonsense.

Also, perhaps you could use AxeEdit and post up the .syx file of the offending preset(s). Who knows? - there may be a rogue controller set up somewhere doing strange things (doubtful, but you never know).

Another key would be to figure out whether this problem happens only with certain blocks within certain presets, or if it happens across all presets. Try bypassing blocks one-by-one to try to isolate the problem. This is time-consuming, but try rebuilding from scratch the offending preset, first with NO control/modifier features, and then taking care to make sure that only necessary control features are present. Sometimes in the course of deep programming it can be easy to lose track of Modifiers and their settings...been there before.

Worst case is that this is a purely intermittent problem. You'll have a longer haul ahead of you then as you slowly, one by one remove/add components to try to replicate the problem. 1st step is to make the problem go away! If nothing makes the problem stop and the only constant is the unit itself, then = service call.

Thanks Jim,
You must realize that all of the regular troubleshooting stuff has been done many times and I have conclusively established that the problem is not in the signal chain before or after the Axe.
The methodology you recommend above is great. It's just going to be a long haul at the rate of change of one block at a time and then wait for a possible occurrence of some random cut out. At this rate, I'll be old before I finalize this and Axe FX III will be out!
It seems like this occurs primarily with all the presets that use the ODS amp. I say seems because I recall a cut our with the train wreck but I can't be sure anymore.
So I'm going to trash these presets and rebuild them in case they're totally corrupted. I had sent them to FAS but obviously from the above communication, that didn't yield any results.

I ain't bitchin' too much because the Axe is still more reliable than any tube amp I've had, but it is annoying for sure.

Thanks Jim,
You must realize that all of the regular troubleshooting stuff has been done many times and I have conclusively established that the problem is not in the signal chain before or after the Axe.
The methodology you recommend above is great. It's just going to be a long haul at the rate of change of one block at a time and then wait for a possible occurrence of some random cut out. At this rate, I'll be old before I finalize this and Axe FX III will be out!
It seems like this occurs primarily with all the presets that use the ODS amp. I say seems because I recall a cut our with the train wreck but I can't be sure anymore.
So I'm going to trash these presets and rebuild them in case they're totally corrupted. I had sent them to FAS but obviously from the above communication, that didn't yield any results.

I ain't bitchin' too much because the Axe is still more reliable than any tube amp I've had, but it is annoying for sure.

Yeah, sorry about that...figured I'd give it a try. Gremlins suck! Best of luck - let us know how you make out.

Don't know if this is related...... But on Saturday I had axe edit hooked up, and sometimes my Studio Lead had the wah engaged?
It is set to only turn on when I rock the pedal ( a mission ) I recalled the patch , then de selected wah, then saved.
But it happened again after that......

You're right in that this has been reported before.

We have tried to reproduce this but can't get it to happen.
Please post all details of your setup and the steps you take to cause the problem?

Thanks

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the interest.

My set up is ultra simple: MFC to Axe II with 3 expression pedals. Guitar IN > Axe II > Out 1 to Stereo XLR Pair, Out 2 Left to Powered speaker. Out 1 copied to Out 2 and Out 2 summed to mono.

The bug only happens when I use the controller, I'm pretty sure of that.

I am not sure what I'm supposed to turn off, Cliff. I have no Bypass controller set anywhere that I know of. Let me know what page of what menu you're referring to and I'll double check.

Guys, is there some dump I can do while it is in FUBAR state which would tell you what's in the memory that my cause this?

Guys, is there some dump I can do while it is in FUBAR state which would tell you what's in the memory that my cause this?

+1

Some kind of "process sampler" might make detecting these intermittent bugs less of a crap shoot.

The Sequel

Last night was a nightmare. My main presets just would not stay on. Here I am, at the beginning of a song and nothing comes out of my beautiful guitar-only intro. Seriously embarrassing. Went to a different presets and ... no sound! Actually, a little bit of tiny, tinny, weeny sound! Turns out the cab block is bypassed this time.

Jezz! Am I the only one with a unit that does this like this? It's really annoying.

Back
Top Bottom