Axe got rained on; still works :)

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Epic outdoor gig Saturday night. Halfway through our encore song, we started to get a torrential downpour. The tarp over the bandstage, it turned out, was not waterproof. Literally every piece of gear the band had got soaked, including 3 of my guitars (a PRS and two Fenders), my Korg Kronos 61 keyboard, my Axe Fx III, my Helix Stomp, my bassist's Helix, my guitarist's entire tube amp rig, all of our lights and PA gear, all of our drum stuff, and all the cases and peripheral/accessories/cables. I dumped gallons of water out of my cable bin which also had a mixer and other gear in it.

Long story short, we weren't even rushing to cover things up or anything. That's how bad it was. It was like, welp, I guess there goes $30k in gear.

Long story long - everything works. EVERYTHING. No damage whatsoever. We all got to our various homes, unpacked, dried everything as best as we could with towels, then splayed everything or opened all the gear up and ran fans on them for a couple days.

I'm floored. Granted, I had my Axe in a 4U Gator rack, but it still got rained on from the front and back. I gave it a little extra time in front of the fan after I toweled it off.

Anyway. That's my story. Axe is still rockin! :D

I might be wrong, but one of the big issues with water contact with electronics is corrosion. Even if it works now, you could have issues later on due to exposure. Those with more experience and knowledge might want to confirm or correct me.

I might be wrong, but one of the big issues with water contact with electronics is corrosion. Even if it works now, you could have issues later on due to exposure. Those with more experience and knowledge might want to confirm or correct me.
If it’s dried out, it should be good.

I'm glad it wasn't beer, soda, salt water, muddy water, etc. Just plain ol' rain water. Still not ideal, and we were scrambling to unplug stuff before we got electrocuted, but otherwise I'm surprised that we got away nearly unscathed (guitar strings are gonna need a change, of course, due to rust, but I would have changed them anyway).

Wow, that's scary!! Amazing that everything still works! My FC-6 got flooded in my basement literally 4 days after I got it- sent it back to Fractal to get checked out and dried, so they ran it through inspection, and the darn thing works perfectly. It's part of my board today, never so much as an electronic peep out of it.

Wow, that's scary!! Amazing that everything still works! My FC-6 got flooded in my basement literally 4 days after I got it- sent it back to Fractal to get checked out and dried, so they ran it through inspection, and the darn thing works perfectly. It's part of my board today, never so much as an electronic peep out of it.
Same. I just towel-dried my FC-6 and set it in front of the fan. It was just rained on, so it wasn't actually submersed like yours, but it was still a big frustrating ordeal. I'm glad modern gear can seem to take the beating that gear of yesteryear couldn't :)

Back
Top Bottom