[AXE FXIII/FXII XL] Connected to physical amp as a slave

wsykurski

Hello guys,
This is my first post here + sorry for my bad English.
I'm considering buying either FX3 or used FX2 XL, but before that I want to check if it is possible to realize following connection:

Guitar => physical amp [input => physical amp FX output] => Fractal input => Fractal emulated amp FX loop => active column/mixer/headphones etc.

This is master/slave configuration, which will use physical amp as pre-amplifier and Fractal as slave. But still, Fractal is the one which returns signal to active column or mixer.
Which means that "inside" of Fractal I would have to connect signal directly to FX input of emulated amplifier.
Is this possible with FX2 XL/FX3?
I tried to google this topic, but almost all of the results are about 4CM or other way around (that means signal goes from guitar to fractal and then to physical amp. FX input),
Use cases:
1. let say I have some nice, but "week" amp, like for example DSL20HR/Orange Terror. I would like to use Fractal to boost the sound + add effects to it.
2. I wan't to use post-cabin effects (reverb, modulation) for some of the solos.

Thanks for any help!

You can do that with both the Axe-FX II or the Axe-FX III.

Just connect the Axe-FX In/Out to the FX loop of the amplifier

Hi @Piing & thx for replay.
I have checked this manual and this connection is different from what I want to achieve.
Maybe I will describe it in more details:
General connection:
guitar => wah => physical amp => Fractal => mixer(or active column/headphones).
Please notice that there is no connection back to physical amp.
Physical amp. details:
input => preamp => FX loop Out
The FX IN is not connected here. I want to use only pre-amp section of physical amp
Fractal Details:
input => some effects (delay, phaser?) => Fractal AMP block (AMP block FX IN if such connection is possible) =>
=> Fractal Column block => some other effects (reverb, echo...) => Fractal Out​

I don't know if connection into FX Loop IN of Fractal amp Block is possible. Maybe there are some other ways to disable pre-amp section of Amp Block?

This is not standard 4CM. It is more like something that Metallica has done in late 80's:
Output from moded Marshall's FX loop sent into Mesa FX Input. And Mesa connected to column.

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly, you want to use a wah and the pre-amp section of your amplifier, use the Axe-FX for power amplifier simulation (no pre-amp) and FX, and send the signal from Axe-FX to the column (by column, do you mean a powered PA speaker?)

The Axe-FX AMP block pre-amp section cannot be separated from the Power section. However, you can change the tonestack and select a neutral one.

Anyway, I believe that once you discover the high quality and versatility of the Axe-FX, you will probably forget about your pre-amp and your wah, and you will use the Axe-FX at 100% :)

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly, you want to use a wah and the pre-amp section of your amplifier, use the Axe-FX for power amplifier simulation
=> Yes, exactly :)
Anyway, I believe that once you discover the high quality and versatility of the Axe-FX, you will probably forget about your pre-amp and your wah, and you will use the Axe-FX at 100% :)
It is quite possible ;)
by column, do you mean a powered PA speaker?
=> Yes.
Generally I want to use Axe-FX for home playing (rock and metal) + small gigs. I'm after 80's thrash sound (Ride the Lightning, Testament, Znowhite) with addition of modern playing: a little bit of djent, technical death/prog here and there. But I do prefer old, organic sound of guitars and bass against the modern, "sterile" and polished production.
Surprisingly I have found that low power Marshall's and Orange fits really well with this style. Unfortunately 15W "Terror" is to weak for a "bigger" gig/concert (let say 75-100 persons).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom