Axe FXII and Matrix at the Newcatle Guitar Show 11.3.12 post mortem

Lightningboy

Experienced
Matrix and myself recently attended the Newcastle Guitar Show, one of a range of shows throughout the UK for retailers and manufacturers to attend and show their wares to the
wider public. Also a day out for guitarists and muso's to drool over gear and grab a bargain!

Thought I'd write a quick review of how the Axe II performed on the day and the feedback from the people we talked to.

So to preface this. I got the Axe FX II on Friday along with some extra bits and bobs from Matrix to take to the show. I'd got a recording session booked on Friday and was swamped so
that really only left Saturday to tweak and set things up. Knowing how long it took to get patches set up on my old Ultra for live use, I was nervous to say the least.
First step was to get Axe edit up and running. Sorted on the 2nd try...phew!
It's at this point I must thank the Fractal community and particularly Mark Day and Yek for their excellent patches which I downloaded and thus saved me a lot of time setting up patches from scratch.
Managed to get patches built for regular guitar cab, FRFR and also built a W/D/W rig at home as well which sounded great. The patches built up by myself, I noticed that these were far easier and quicker to build on the II than the Ultra. These along with Mark's and Yek's along with the stock patches gave me plenty to demo and eased my concerns.

So to the day.

We set up in a private room. In the Rack are a Matrix GT800FX and Axe FXII. Output 1 is running to 2 FRFR wedge monitors being powered by the new Matrix GM50 amp module which are
either side of a 5150 guitar cab powered by the GT800 on output 2. Probably about 1000 people at the show in total and around 300 people visited the room throughout the day.

Some were aware of Fractal Audio and visited with the sole intention of hearing an Axe II "in the flesh", most were not.

BUT THEY ARE NOW!

That's been the mission of this show and the last. Not particularly to hard sell Matrix but to educate people that modelling has come on leaps and bounds since the early days and
that solutions are there to amplify and get that sound out of the box and the bedroom and onto a stage. Like missionaries, preaching the gospel of modelling to the heathen tube
masses! lol

Not one person thought it sounded digital or un-tube like. Zero. Nada. Zilch

Showing them how the sound cleaned up like a tube amp and reacted to playing softer or rolling the volume back produced appreciative nods and raised eyebrows. Obviously our community has known about this for a while but it amazes me how many guitarists out there are only aware of what their local music shop stocks. Even the expected price objections when people asked "how much is the Axe FXII?" quickly went out the window when we asked them how much did their last amp
cost? Oh, and how much were the FX you use? People started realising that although expensive compared to the modelling stuff in the shops, this was no different in price from a alot of the stuff they were already playing amp & FX wise. And more importantly no difference in sound. Just with loads more amps and FX and options. The Axe FX II really did change a lot of perceptions I think that day.

Demo'ing the FRFR system we had just sounded as good as the 4x12 we had was great. The 1987x sim sounded great for the guys wanting to hear a raw Plexi style tone. With the FRFR next to the 4x12 even I got confused a couple of times as to which speaker we were running through! Easily the best FRFR rig I've run through so far. Mark Day's HBE patches sounded massive! The star of the show though was probably the w/d/w rig in full with the 4x12 as the dry cab and FRFR cabs as the wet cabs with cab sims on. Soldano based amp sim with tri-chorus, delay and reverb. Stadium size huge sound and I think this will be making it on stage with me in the very near future it was that good! The GM50's powering the wedges stayed cool and performed excellently even after 7 or so hours switched on.

There were lots of comments as to how awesome it all sounded and to be fair when they asked if it was just the amp (GT800& GM50) doing that we had to defer to the Axe II and say that was where the magic was coming from, we're just the delivery boys to get it to the speakers!

So, there you have it, a review not just from one guy but from the 300 or so people that heard the Axe FX II on the day.

View attachment 10213
Hideous Carpet! Apologies!​

View attachment 10209

Last edited:
Must have been fun to see the faces from the people when they found out, that there is no tube involved :D
Sounds like a great day.

What kind of Full range speakers are that?

Awesome. So far, in my area, only one other player is using a similar rig (11R for him, through a Mesa 2:90) so most people who come to hear us think we are still using our old Boogie rigs. Having played Boogie gear since the 70s, we were both pretty familiar with the tone. Within the same year, we both made the same discovery you're preaching here... you don't have to blow out disks in your back to get the glorious sound of glowing glass any longer. He loves the 11R, which is the same unit I played on before moving to the Axe Fx Ultra, then the II.

I still play on the tube amps I have at home, and love them. But I don't have to carry them there... they have a nice secure retirement spot next to the fire place! On stage, the only real tubes I am carrying are in my Atomic speaker cabinet. Once 2012's new items are paid for (besides the Axe II, I splurged on a MFC-101 and PRS 513... it was a good first quarter!) I will be getting a Matrix amp to power my cabs. This will represent the first time in more years than many here have been alive (30+) that I haven't had real glass behind me on stage. And oddly, I am completely ok with that! :shock

Great report!! Very entertaining to read.
Would like to test that tri-chorus preset, even without WDW.

WDW = Wet Dry Wet

100% effects output go into the 'W' parts and a dry amp only goes into the D part - so if you were using stereo effects you would have left and right going to the Wet amps/cabs and the unprocessed original signal going to the Dry amp/cab - if mic'ing up you would have 3 feeds going to the board

So, there you have it, a review not just from one guy but from the 300 or so people that heard the Axe FX II on the day.

Hi I can second everything that Lightningboy said as I spent a couple of hours in the Matrix demo room. Having just got an AXEFXII it was a great opportunity to see the Matrix kit. Now where am I going to store a W/D/W rig which I now am strongly considering. Matrix amps definitely delivered the goods.
Many thanks to Lightningboy and Matrix for the conversation and the day, great job.
Cheers,
John

Last edited:
The speakers are prototypes we're developing, obviously FRFR with a GM50 powering a coaxial speaker. Not a budget speaker!! Will be getting a MkII design in the next week to compare then finalising woodwork and grills etc from there on. They're awesome at the moment but nothing wrong with seeing if we can make them better!

I was wondering how this event was going to be received.
Looks like it all worked out extremely well, thanks for posting up the results.

The speakers are prototypes we're developing, obviously FRFR with a GM50 powering a coaxial speaker. Not a budget speaker!! Will be getting a MkII design in the next week to compare then finalising woodwork and grills etc from there on. They're awesome at the moment but nothing wrong with seeing if we can make them better!

Very interesting!!

The entrance to the show, video 1 of 3, this is the only quiet one.
Other two videos will be on youtube tonight.

That carpet was loud, but John was louder.

Last edited:
Hi Lightningboy,

I went along to the show with the sole intention of checking out the Axe II as I had heard via a local music forum there was going to be one there.
However as it happened there was a guy downstairs who had one set up (to demo pickups I think) - I assumed this was it, had a chat and a little play on one of the plexi patches and was very impressed. It was only later I saw the posters to the Matrix room upstairs!
Anyway thanks for the demo - I heard enough to convince me and I've now ordered an Axe II.
Also going to buy a Matrix GM50 module soon as they're available - I love the idea of having my 4x12 powered!

Cheers
Rich
(I was the guy in the Van Halen t-shirt by the way)

First part of the last video was purely the wedges with the 1987x patch (think I changed the cabs is all), the second played part is full w/d/w with Yeks Clean solo patch converted for it.

I hope this question wasn't already asked (and I'm just not finding the answer on another thread)...but Price and possible availability dates for the powered Coax monitor???

Also,
Is Lightening boy = John? (person playing in the vids?)

I hope this question wasn't already asked (and I'm just not finding the answer on another thread)...but Price and possible availability dates for the powered Coax monitor???

Also,
Is Lightening boy = John? (person playing in the vids?)

The Coax FRFR are in final prototype stages, we are firming up the pricing and release dates right now. We will have this information for you asap.

Lightning Boy is John, and is the person playing on the videos. We are proud to have his experience within the team.
John and I will be shooting more videos to demonstrate various things, ( he will be the one playing :) )

My best regards
Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom