AXE FX3 FC12 to change channels on a EVH 5150 III with midi control

sean18222

Hello everyone!!!

I would like to use my AXE FX3 w/FC12 along with the 4 cable method to change channels on my EVH amp head. Is it possible to change the channels on my amp with the FC12 peddle. Do I need an aftermarket midi switcher? Do I hook up a midi cable from the AXE FX3 to the MIDI input on the amp? Does anyone have an actual diagram on how to hook this up? I didn't have any luck finding a video for this online. Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with that amp or what midi commands it can accept or needs but you would use the scene midi block on the Axe to send midi commands. Midi cable would go Axe midi out to 5150 midi in. Check the manual for more info on the scene midi block & what it can do.

Last edited:
MIDI block placed anywhere on the grid, this block doesn't need to be connected to the chain at all as it doesn't pass any signal just sends MIDI program changes or CC changes. Looking at the EVH manual you program the amp to respond to whatever MIDI program change message you send from the AFX.

For basic setup you'll want to program the EVH to react to 3 MIDI program changes. MIDI cable out from AFX to MIDI in on the EVH. In the AFX MIDI block you'll want to set TYPE to PC then set CHANNEL to 1, you leave the NUMBER field blank and set VALUE to a number between 1 and 127.

I would do it like this.
type-channel-number-value
  1. Channel 1 on EVH: MIDI block PC-1-blank-1
  2. Channel 2 on EVH: MIDI block PC-1-blank-2
  3. Channel 3 on EVH: MIDI block PC-1-blank-3
The MIDI block has a test button, enter PC-1-blank-1 then on the EVH follow the program receive for channel 1.

1111.jpg2222.jpg3333.jpg

For the FX loop on the EVH it says to send a CC message rather than Program change. Nothing needs to be programmed on the EVH for this to work.
TYPE: CC
CHANNEL: 1
NUMBER: 85
VALUE: 63 to bypass or 64 to enable.

bypass.jpg

You can send both the channel program change and CC message for the FX loop at the same time. Whatever scene you're on just enter the program change and CC for what you want to happen on the EVH.

Back
Top Bottom