Axe FX2 overkill for me?

Because people are fond of making dumb comparisons between modelers and tube amps, and then arguing about it ad infinitum. All that matters is, "How well does this work for me."....

This is well said. I am guilty (in the past) of hyperbole over this unit...only to have Cliff make me look ridiculous by improving an already stellar product.

For the OP:

If you can afford it, get the II. While you have light needs now, it will probably change once you start playing through this thing (from past experience on this board...) Drop down to used if you need to. The Ultra is a fine unit, but it does not compare to the II.

IMO. But you also can't lose if the Ultra is all you can swing.

This is well said. I am guilty (in the past) of hyperbole over this unit...only to have Cliff make me look ridiculous by improving an already stellar product.

For the OP:

If you can afford it, get the II. While you have light needs now, it will probably change once you start playing through this thing (from past experience on this board...) Drop down to used if you need to. The Ultra is a fine unit, but it does not compare to the II.

IMO. But you also can't lose if the Ultra is all you can swing.

This. I bought a used Ultra, then started jonesing for a II. Saved up my money and got the II, sold the Ultra, and haven't regretted a second of it.

Don't think anyone (or well maybe 0.001% of buyers) regret buying a II

About the only reason I've ever seen anyone sell a II for is that they are buying a II XL+, short of maybe things like family emergencies and such which come before music

Its seriously otherwise one of the best (and among the pricer) things I've ever bought in terms of ownership satisfaction. I think I got mine around FW7 or 8 and over the past year or two there has been a ton of major firmware updates giving me now well over 200 awesome amps, tons of fx etc. Just keeps on giving

When ever I am asked if a new guitar player needs a nice guitar to start out with, or a beginner guitar first.... I always always say get the nicer one. Why? Because it plays in most cases the easiest (and easier on the fingers) and therefore you will practice (play) longer. Same goes for what the guitar plugs into...:eagerness:

Because people are fond of making dumb comparisons between modelers and tube amps, and then arguing about it ad infinitum. All that matters is, "How well does this work for me." The Ultra's low and mid-gain models - blackface, brownface, etc - never worked for me. The II's work beautifully. Are they as good as an amp? Don't know. Don't care. They work, and it's easier to carry. That is all.

This..

Who cares about the modeler vs tube amp anymore.. The axe2 is an awesome preamp.. and happens to be an astounding FX processor. Ohh... and its pretty good as a modeler for direct recording and any other way you can use it

If you can afford it, always go to the most capable unit. You don't have to use what you don't need, but you can't use what isn't there. It isn't overkill, it's just surplus capability.

When ever I am asked if a new guitar player needs a nice guitar to start out with, or a beginner guitar first.... I always always say get the nicer one. Why? Because it plays in most cases the easiest (and easier on the fingers) and therefore you will practice (play) longer. Same goes for what the guitar plugs into...:eagerness:

+1000. I totally agree with this comment. I have lived my whole life this way. Get the best of what you can reasonably afford. I don't know anyone that ever regrets buying quality. My equipment is definitely beyond my ability, but you know what? I REALLY enjoy playing it and working with it. That goes for just about anything. The nicer it is the more joy it will give you to use it and the more often you will use it. I understand not everyone is wired that way, but to me the worst thing you can do is buy the cheaper unit to get by and then WISH you had the better quality or more utility.

My story, started out with a Fender MexiStrat for $400. Could have bought something cheaper for a starter guitar, but I wanted something I would enjoy playing. At the time a $400 guitar was pushing it some, but SOOO glad I got the best I could. LOVED playing that thing. A few years ago I upgraded to a JPX 6 that cost 6 times what the Fender cost me and all I can say is WOW. Absolutely LOVE playing that guitar. Is it worth it from a utilitarian perspective? Absolutely not. I don't play professionally or even for a church band, however as much as I LOVED the Fender, after playing the JPX I can't stand it now! LOL. The quality and finish is just amazing.

For effects. I started out with the cheap VOX multieffects amp. For $180 it was a great deal. Moved up the the Guitar Rig 5 which blows it away for sound and versatility but now I am looking at the Axe FX II XL+. Years ago it was a pipe dream, but now I am in a position to buy one. Do I NEED it? Hell no, but I want it, can't wait to hear the quality tones I can get with this thing. I hope you pull the trigger.

I went for the 2 because I wanted to record via USB direct from the axe fx
No regrets and play it every day possible and Im one up from a bedroom guitarist

My wife kids and neighbours love it too

Honestly, I think the Axe-FX is overkill for like 99% of all guitar players. Hardly anyone uses everything in the box to its full potential. The nice thing is that it DOES include everything just in case you want to try something new. Want to try a Flanger? You dont have to buy one, just load up the block. Want to try a Looper? Don't have to buy one, just turn on the block, etc.....

Honestly, most of my presets are just an amp block. I rarely use effects, and I usually dont use the cab block because I prefer the tone into a guitar cabinet. However, I bought it for the tone and ability to dial in whatever I want. Between the amp models and a few EQs, I can pretty much dial in anything I want. Even though a $99 modeler pedal would handle my needs, they dont have the tone or feel of the Axe-FX.

were are you located? some one near you may let you have a test drive. I would, I have a Ultra, a II, and a XL, I am in central Fl.

im in WA state. the one i saw was local, so i might contact the guy to see if he lets me try it out first. thanks

thanks again for all the comments...

i think i've made my mind up.. the axe FX2 would be the right unit for me. i've also purchased different products in the past and to save some $$ i got the lower model, only to in a few months regret not getting the better product, then i end up selling the one i purchased (taking a lo$$ for it) and buying the better one anyway.

now i've open an account on gofundme.com and im accepting donations lol .. just kidding

It's not overkill man, if you just use it for the amps n cabs it's worth every penny!! And it's always nice to have a lot of amps n cabs.... Oh and stellar effects if the mood takes one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the axe fx ii even if you're not a gigging or recording professional. I'm gigging only once a month.

The Axe will make you play so much that you will dramatically improve. You will come up with a zillion new ideas. There is not a single guitar tone the axe can't make and then some. The effect are beyond galactic (check Simeon's presets). Not to mention the huge flexibility with so much inputs & outputs, the build quality, the fw updates, the helpful community.

I used to think that another guitar product was quite nice for my playing level at that moment. Needless to say that all tracks were rerecorded. But the mega thrush forward in your playing from the awesome tones and all the posibilities can't be beaten imho.

I don't think it's overkill based on what you've stated in this thread. And I would definitely go for the Axe FX II over the Standard/Ultra no question. You'll likely need a midi controller as well (MFC, etc.) so factor that into the cost.. you could wait for the AX8 and avoid the need for the MFC and save some money.. but research the differences between the Axe FX II/MFC and the AX8 first.. at least what info you can find for now on the AX8.

thanks again for all the comments...

i think i've made my mind up.. the axe FX2 would be the right unit for me. i've also purchased different products in the past and to save some $$ i got the lower model, only to in a few months regret not getting the better product, then i end up selling the one i purchased (taking a lo$$ for it) and buying the better one anyway.

now i've open an account on gofundme.com and im accepting donations lol .. just kidding

This is smart. I do (and regret) the same thing too often.

I think it's not so much a matter of where you play as what you play. If you play covers of bands spanning a variety of styles then I would definitely say go for the more capable unit. Even with the II you may hit its limits fairly quickly - I know I did.

I do know people who only need a couple of sounds, and for them any Axe would be an overkill even though they are professional musicians touring all the time.

Life is short. What if you die next year? You never got to play an AXE2 because you couldn't decide.

Buy it, play it, have a beer and be happy. If you die after it won't matter because you've already won

The AFX is capable of lots - 90% of which most guitarists dont use. The 10% each does use is different though. Whatever you need is in there.

A coupl eof issues here.

1. is it overkill. No its not - its a tool. Use what you need - dont use what you dont.
2. Is it a waste not using FRFR - no, Ive used an AFX since 2008 and 99% of the time its amp cab. I only every use cab sims for recording - which I dont do much of.
3. AFX Ultra v AFX2. If you have the coin AFX2 all day. The original units were/are great at what they do but tech moves on (unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at things). The Ultra is still better than most things near its used price range (currently) - and for FX its a stela unit still. There are perhaps better options for amp sims now - the Kemper, the AX8 when released and even possibly the L6 Helix. Only you can tell.

So - what to do. If you can live with a rack unit and have the coin for an AFX2 and a controller - Id do that. If you dont want a rack or a controller, Id say wait and pick up an AX8 or L6 Helix - if you dont have the money Id still consider the AX8 and helix - but you could possibly add in a kemper to the equation as well.

Back
Top Bottom