AXE-Fx2 MARK 2

Do the new vents affect the perceived volume of the fan?

Does the new ventilation mean that the Axe-Fx could require less internal cooling, or that you could safely replace the stock fan with a quieter one?

Here's a shot of what the new connector looks like (along with the cup of coffee that it made for me). :D

ethercoffee.jpg

So is the new jack for the MFC really the only difference, no extra memory or a faster processor? Since I got mine only a couple weeks ago, I wanted to know just how bad my timing really is. Also, is the MFC Mark II compatible with the Axe II Mark I, or do I need to be cautious once I finally get the $$ together for the MFC?

Thanks for the quick response, Cliff. Sorry to waste your time, because I just found an earlier thread that covered my question. The other thread also included some info about the Ethercon coupler, which is a nice way to allow those with the Mark I to protect the MFC side. However, since I can make my own Ethernet cables, I may wait on that. Heck, I need to get the MFC first before it is even a concern for me (but I can dream).

The only difference is the connector. The connectors are backward and forward compatible.

The problem was that people were breaking the connectors, especially on the MFC. So we changed them to more durable connectors.

I'm really worried about mine breaking. I'm gigging twice a week with mine to a bunch of stumbling drunks. It's a ticking time bomb.

Any chance of getting connectors to upgrade to ethercon?

I'm really worried about mine breaking. I'm gigging twice a week with mine to a bunch of stumbling drunks. It's a ticking time bomb.

Any chance of getting connectors to upgrade to ethercon?

Ethercon is not a solution to stepping on the jack, in fact, it sticks out further and makes it a larger target. If you are on a stage this should be a non-issue. Unless you are using right angle 1/4" TRS plugs you have the same problem with your expression pedal wires, no jacks are stomp proof.

You can cut up a 2x4 and nail it into an "n" shape to protect all plugs for $5. Paint it black and place so all your connections are 100% covered and have at least 1" clearance from board bottom to the higher plug top.

You can make an easy modification. All you need is the Neutrik NE8FF adaptor. I made a short ribbon cable (it's under the MFC between the board and the MFC) with a very small RJ45 plug. The adaptor can handle both, ethercon and normal RJ45 plugs. At the AXE FX side I have a patch panel with an ethercon which can handle both, too.

The best thing about it is, absolutely no plug you can stand on, only the cable and no mechanical work at MFC - so nothing can break. Adaptor is about 15 Euro. Have fun - Michael

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 245
Personally i think using these adaptors is better. I've had no problem with ethernet on the mfc end but sometimes connectors can get really stuck and hard to remove on the Axe-II end.
Guess its why they have been changed as i've been worried a few times about breaking the connector.

But using these adaptors any wear and tear of plugging and unplugging is going to just wear out the cable and adaptors, easier to get new ones of those than have to have
your axe-fx or mfc repaired.

Mark

I'm going to build a pedalboard soon, so I think I will build in a short "dog-house" like they use on PA mixer cases. Just a flip up panel with a piano hinge to protect the connectors. I experienced one of those "breaking the [MFC] connector" Cliff was referring to, and FAS got me fixed and back in order. I literally don't know what happened, as I try to shield the connections with a mic stand leg, but it got broken nonetheless. I'm just going to protect all the back end connectors and make it as sure as it can be.

A bit late to the show. Just finding out about Mark II. Totally missed it. These new connectors (on both Axe II and MFC) seem to be much more stable/tight than the Mark I connectors?
The CAT cable connection on the Mark I (both Axe and MFC) is very loose and not really road proof. Good that these changes are made to the Mark II. Although it doesn't help the Mark I owners.

Back
Top Bottom