Axe-Fx+???

sk8te4free7

Inspired
Hey guys, I'm not sure if there's been similar posts about this topic but i've been doing some research for awhile now regarding other equipment such as power amps, power conditioners etc. basically stuff that would be recommended to be used with the axe to have a better live/studio sound. I came across the BBE Sonic Maximizer and it seemed to be one of the few racks that i'm probably needing to get other than a better power amp. Would anyone know if the BBE Sonic Maximizer is really necessary? and why or why not? Or any other rack system? Thanks in advance!

Guess you didn't do enough research. Loads of threads on various forums about the sonic maximizer.
If you use the axe properly, you should not need any more equipment other than your poweramp and FRFR setup. Live I sometimes omit both and run direct to FoH.

BBE adds digital artefacts. Nothing natural. Axe alone will live to your highest expectations.

Thanks for your replies guys. I have been having some sort of trouble still trying to get a cleaner tone out of the axe using a real cab even with the cab sims off etc. I'm just still trying to see if there's still anything else that i would need. And I've also been looking at the Crown XLS1000 DriveCore Series Power Amp, what do you guys think about this power amp? I know theres way better out there but would this serve its purpose for live/studio recordings? Thanks for your time once again fellas!

Have anyone tried the BBE sonic maximizer? It does wonders! It lifts a mix like nothing else IMHO. It removes the difference in phase between the low and high frequecies, that's all.
(correct me if I'm wrong about that) but OMG it makes a huuuge difference! I think I will get one myself to use with the axe-fx II when I have the $. It's like a way of mixing/mastering on it's own. Does anyone here have any deep experience with it? Check out some more youtube videos for it with mixing/mastering in mind.
It's the closest effect you get to "take a blanket off" your audio. You don't really notice much turning it on (well yeah you do but) try going back to the original sound afterwards.
It sounds less defined and just more muddy (shit).

But then again you get addicted to it and can't live without it. I'm just going to try the axe-fx II first, something tells me I will be quite pleased with it on it's own :D

If you already have a power amp and it isnt performing its likely not the power amp (unless its an old art piece lol)

You know what i think i am using a old power amp. Its mega heavy and weighs more than a peavey 6505 head lol I'm looking to get a crown power amp but im still kinda iffy on those. I'm kind of in a budget right now thats why lol

... I have been having some sort of trouble still trying to get a cleaner tone out of the axe using a real cab even with the cab sims off etc. ...

By 'cleaner tone' do you mean 'better clean tone'? If so, the 'ODS-100 Clean' is really good. Another option would be to use a Parametric EQ instead of an Amp block for clean tones.

By 'cleaner tone' do you mean 'better clean tone'? If so, the 'ODS-100 Clean' is really good. Another option would be to use a Parametric EQ instead of an Amp block for clean tones.

actually, a cleaner distorted tone. my preset sounds a little muffled with the real cab on & the cab sims off and not so much bass on the preamp. I kind of want that progressive or "Djent" sound or w/e its called.. im close tp having it but sometimes my sound is just not how u want it lol

Have anyone tried the BBE sonic maximizer? It does wonders! It lifts a mix like nothing else IMHO. It removes the difference in phase between the low and high frequecies, that's all.
(correct me if I'm wrong about that) but OMG it makes a huuuge difference! I think I will get one myself to use with the axe-fx II when I have the $. It's like a way of mixing/mastering on it's own. Does anyone here have any deep experience with it? Check out some more youtube videos for it with mixing/mastering in mind.
It's the closest effect you get to "take a blanket off" your audio. You don't really notice much turning it on (well yeah you do but) try going back to the original sound afterwards.

But then again you get addicted to it and can't live without it. I'm just going to try the axe-fx II first, something tells me I will be quite pleased with it on it's own :D

i'm on the same page as you man, im just trying to see if it really makes a huge diff. but from i've been told, i wouldnt really need it lol

There we have it, maybe I have not been using it enough :p Makes it sound good on it's own, ehm..

140.jpg
cartoon_roadrunner.jpg

Last edited:

I had one for a couple of years back at Berklee.
It has that 'ah, nice' effect at first (more bass and highs, go figure) but it's tiring to listen to for longer intervals and it's terrible in a mix.

It's been hyped to death, with exactly the wording you're using and while there is quite a following from the low-level home studio crowd, I have never seen one in a decent studio/mastering place.

might be useful in combination with equipment in it's own league (PODs, cheap drum machines etc.)

+1 (to DonPetersen's post)
I used it for a while in the 80's until I realized how much it actually just "thinned out" my sound.

Back
Top Bottom