Axe-FX XL+ Upgrade, Improved Audio Quality

Yes but that's a comment of a user that judges by hear, Cliff is the one who designed both machines and I think he knows better what he's talking about ;)
Well, I think you may be reading more into what he said, which is "possibly sounding better" not "does sound better".

The "user" in question is one with a long and trusted history on the forum.

I just read the rest of the thread. You might also be interested in this post from Cliff:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-axe-ii-mk1-and-mk2.97766/page-3#post-1179153

Well, I think you may be reading more into what he said, which is "possibly sounding better" not "does sound better".

The "user" in question is one with a long and trusted history on the forum.

I just read the rest of the thread. You might also be interested in this post from Cliff:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-axe-ii-mk1-and-mk2.97766/page-3#post-1179153
In this post he's talking about XL Vs XL+ though.

Anyway "possibly" means it is possible, several users here are saying it's impossible indeed, and I think that's a bit of an absolutistic assertion.

But let's stop discussing semantic now and hope Cliff will clear it up :)

What does decreasing noise mean though, maybe it is noise in the signal that reduces clarity. I dont think it was a setting unless there is a global eq I dont know about.
Decreasing noise means less noise in the audio output. But the noise in even the Mk I is so low that, in most situations, it's inaudible.

In this post he's talking about XL Vs XL+ though.

Anyway "possibly" means it is possible, several users here are saying it's impossible indeed, and I think that's a bit of an absolutistic assertion.

But let's stop discussing semantic now and hope Cliff will clear it up :)

There's no such a noticeable difference as you seem to imply. There really isn't.

Well, listen to my sample if you still haven't

Your sample was a bad example because the gain was different. Even if some hardware difference caused it, you really should have adjusted to match the level hitting the grid/amp. Not whatever you did that gave more gain/volume on the Mark II clip.

BTW, the Axe-Fx II has variable input impedance, while the AX8 has fixed input impedance.

What does decreasing noise mean though, maybe it is noise in the signal that reduces clarity. I dont think it was a setting unless there is a global eq I dont know about.

The MK II has a pretty low noise floor and you likely won't hear it unless you're using heavy compression.

Your sample was a bad example because the gain was different. Even if some hardware difference caused it, you really should have adjusted to match the level hitting the grid/amp. Not whatever you did that gave more gain/volume on the Mark II clip.
I did nothing to give more gain or volume and I think that's evident in the first two clips where both where fed by the same exact signal. I checked every possible global and preset setting so I am pretty sure it was introduced by the hardware.
And by the way, gain IS a difference too.

You're right in that, to prove a difference in frequency response, the gain should be matched, but while playing it was pretty evident to me and it still is since after my last rehearsal I had to adjust quite a bit all my old and tested presets.
For me the case is closed, then everyone is free to believe what he likes and trust his own ears :p

BTW, the Axe-Fx II has variable input impedance, while the AX8 has fixed input impedance.
In fact I set it to 1M in the axe fx to match the ax8

Back
Top Bottom