Axe FX XL (due for upgrade to AFX3) vs Wife (v1.0 - not due for an upgrade)

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone else having that awkward conversation with their wife about buying a new Axe FX 3?

Too late I realise my rookie mistake of telling her over the last 4 years how perfect my XL has been, only to now have to try convince her that whilst the XL was "perfect" there is still a definite need for me to buy the newer and better model......! :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least I have until March to figure my reasoning out.

Just had that conversation with mine...........

As a (self proclaimed) commercial preset maker, I have no real choice but to upgrade. But I must also keep, and support my Axe-Fx II and AX8 units, so I don't have the luxury of selling anything (except my MFC-101). Not sure how I will swing it yet, but I am on the wait-list.:eek:

Just had that conversation with mine...........

As a (self proclaimed) commercial preset maker, I have no real choice but to upgrade. But I must also keep, and support my Axe-Fx II and AX8 units, so I don't have the luxury of selling anything (except my MFC-101). Not sure how I will swing it yet, but I am on the wait-list.:eek:
deductible as a business expense?

@Moke you are so lucky you have the perfect excuse for it!

I've basically mentioned the fact that the AFX3 has been announced and all I got was a frustrated groan - but that's good progress I think so am going to bring it up again when other half is in a good mood!

deductible as a business expense?
Yeah, I suppose. But even that won't come close to the standard deduction. I will have to look at financing it, which I really don't want to do. But keeping up with other preset producers with a couple of months head-start, some of which may already have units in their possession due to 'beta-testing' status, will prove difficult.

It would also be nice if the sellers of the many Axe-Fx II units that will surely be hitting the used market, would erase any commercial presets and IRs before they sell them? New owners of the older units could possibly be new customers?

Last edited:
Yeah, I suppose. But even that won't come close to the standard deduction. I will have to look at financing it, which I really don't want to do. But keeping up with other preset producers with a couple of months head-start, some of which may already have units in their possession due to 'beta-testing' status, will prove difficult.
Yeah it’s difficult to hide a. BIt of jealousy of those Beta testers( whose tight-lipped NDAing is commendable,) but it would be great if guys like you and @simeon and @AlGrenadine etc, could get early access..better for all of us for sure.

Just emailed the link to my wife - she writes back - " do you want to get that? it looks pretty ! " I could totally get it - but think I might hold off..
While my tax refund this year is already spoken for - next years refund is going to FAS !

I'm perplexed. I have an XL and an AX8. I use my AX8 so much more, as a matter of fact my AX8 is always on always ready to go. I have become codependent on my AX8. People are asking me if I will get the AXE fx III...... Man, I really want an AX8 II so bad. You all know that I will get one eventually, and you know for a fact that it's going to be worth every penny and more. So... I have a philosophy about buying things. I don't buy unless I have cash in hand. I want to retire at 58, so now I start saving. Let's be honest, we all knew he was working on something, he was way to quiet...;-) so I should have been saving. My stupid Scuba diving and photography has been getting the best of me lately. Congrats Fractal, I'm so stinking excited for you guys right now.

My hobbies are expensive too, mountain biking and photography (fast becoming videography). I am lucky to have a very understanding wife....!

I'm perplexed. I have an XL and an AX8. I use my AX8 so much more, as a matter of fact my AX8 is always on always ready to go. I have become codependent on my AX8. People are asking me if I will get the AXE fx III...... Man, I really want an AX8 II so bad. You all know that I will get one eventually, and you know for a fact that it's going to be worth every penny and more. So... I have a philosophy about buying things. I don't buy unless I have cash in hand. I want to retire at 58, so now I start saving. Let's be honest, we all knew he was working on something, he was way to quiet...;-) so I should have been saving. My stupid Scuba diving and photography has been getting the best of me lately. Congrats Fractal, I'm so stinking excited for you guys right now.
Stick to your retirement plan Scott. Take it from one already there. They say that when you retire you are on a "fixed income". I'm calling BS on that. When I was working, I was on a fixed income. I could afford pretty much anything (within reason) that I wanted to get. My income was "fixed". Now that I'm not working anymore, my income is broke. I'm on a broke income. What was once fixed is now broke.

The pleasure of spending my final years (hopefully) just doing what I feel like doing is well worth the sacrifice of financial discipline to get there. Just my $0.02 amigo.

Last edited:
Stick to your retirement plan Scott. Take it from one already there. They say that when you retire you are on a "fixed income". I'm calling BS on that. When I was working, I was on a fixed income. I could afford pretty much anything (within reason) that I wanted to get. My income was "fixed". Now that I'm not working anymore, my income is broke. I'm on a broke income. What was once fixed is now broke.

The pleasure of spending my final years (hopefully) just doing what I feel like doing is well worth the sacrifice of financial discipline to get there. Just my $0.02 amigo.

Thanks for the wisdom! That stuffs not cheap! I used to want to work forever, but something has changed in me the last few years. I’m an ab initio/ informatica programmer by trade, and as I get older I get less patient with stupid programming languages that aren’t intuitive or fun. Musically I play for money, using that to pay down the credit cards. It’s to a point where I don’t have to think much about it any more. I played Harley Davidson in Mesa Az on Saturday, and I really didn’t break a sweat on anything. I showed up plugged in the ax8 and went to town. Got the check and went home. Such a no brainer, event in my life any more. Most people when they retire buy their retirement project usually an old car or guitar, I’m not going there. I totally agree with you on the fixed income while your working, I get my allowance and save. Eventually the day comes and I buy the thing that I desired for that year. Those are the best days ever.

Too late I realise my rookie mistake of telling her over the last 4 years how perfect my XL has been, only to now have to try convince her that whilst the XL was "perfect" there is still a definite need for me to buy the newer and better model......

'Perfecter' ..... add this word to your vocabulary now! But don't be afraid to use 'more perfect' when the need arises.

Thanks for the wisdom! That stuffs not cheap! I used to want to work forever, but something has changed in me the last few years. I’m an ab initio/ informatica programmer by trade, and as I get older I get less patient with stupid programming languages that aren’t intuitive or fun.
Rodger that. I was a risk consultant so my work required 100% travel. The last 2 years were really rough. The end was in sight so dragging my butt to DFW airport every week was sooooooo difficult. I retired in June of 2016. Life is good. Spending my time with Mrs. Geeze and enjoying our grandkids. Love everything FAS. Such a blessing to have such awesome equipment.

Back
Top Bottom