Axe Fx with Mesa Boogie 2:90

nils

Hey guys,

sry if this topic has been up for about 1 million times, but i could not find a specific threat about the combination of the axe fx and the mesa boogie 2:90 poweramp. So this goes out to everyone who has tried it: how much does the 2:90 colour the sound coming out of the axe fx? I've used the 2:90 with a number of tube preamps and so far it always sounded amazing. just wondering how it sounds with the axe, so I can finally order my standard (and perhaps a new ss preamp)! thanks

I think it is safe to say that power amp sims off would be best for use with the 2:90.... seeing as its described as such a juicey power amp.

That said.... I would also like to know more bout this.

??

Id use the 2:90 with Power sims on - unless your cranking both the Axe and aAmp vols. 90 Watts is a lot of headroom really.

I have read that the 2:90 is a good amp with the Axe, but not as good as the VHTs. I believe the 20:20 is too coloured, and the 50:50 better - but not great. The 2:90 by all accounts has a messa sound going on - but is the most neutral of the Messa amps.

The VHT 2:90:2 and 2:50:2 (which I have - PA sims on) are more neutral sounding I believe, but the 2:90 sould be fine if you alread have one.

TBH, get the Axe and try it. If its too coloured, you could get a VHT (nearly) for the price you'd get for you used 2:90 - OR, get a SS amp and have money left over.

The 2:90 is a great powereamp for use with the Axe. Definitely use the power amp sims.

I've used a 20/20, several SS amps, and now I use the 2:90 through a 4x12. It sounds really good.

i use the mesa 2/90 and mesa 4/12 cabs, with poweramp sims and cabs turned off . i have the deep and modern switches on the back of the power amp turned on and i love it...
yes its colored, but if you like the sound of a mesa and 6l6s you should love it with the axe... i have tried several ss amps and for me they just didnt cut it ... but there are several opinions on that, to each his own.

thanks for your replies! I'm going to keep the 2:90 and post a review when I get my standard in a few weeks. I'm really excited what it will sound like :)

Back
Top Bottom