axe-fx with headphone....

vondano

Inspired
ok,

just ordered my standard so i'm getting ready to receive it in the next couple of days,

i plan on using it with a mesa 2:90 and a mesa cab live but I also plan to make some studio patch to use DI

i would realy like to be able to monitor myself through headphone.

I plan on using output 2 (through the fx loop out ) so i can set a volume on the front panel and using a insert cable (2 mono male 1/4 plug to 1 stereo male 1/4 plug) to an 1/4 stereo female to 1/8 stereo female adaptor (in wich i'll plug my headphone).

so here is my question:

will this work? do I need to consider impedence of the axe output to my headphone? will i break something? is there a better way to use the axe direct to headphone?

if something is unclear, just let me know, I usualy speak french canadian...

thanx

Nico

The Axe does not have a headphone out. The outputs produce line level, but not enough to drive a headphone. So you'll have to consider using a headphone amp or a little mixer to hear your Axe correctly.

straighteight2003 said:
The Axe does not have a headphone out. The outputs produce line level, but not enough to drive a headphone. So you'll have to consider using a headphone amp or a little mixer to hear your Axe correctly.
I actually tried this and it is possible with low impedance headphones. It's not loud, but definitely audible and sounds good. It's not a solution for live playing, but for noodling it suffices.
Above is true for higher end high impedance headphones. I've been told over 100 Ohms. Behringer makes a headphone amp for about $30 or less.

If you want to play along with some soundsource you'll need a small mixer, those have headphone outs. Or plug your Axe-FX into the input of a computer, that usually has a headphone out too, but will usually have slight latency on the input. If that's noticable or a problem is up to you and your computer.

thanx for your reply,

i just want to be able to ear the output of the axe direct so i don't have to bring my mixer to my home...(my mixer is a cheap mackie and I fear for lots of sound deterioration...)

it doesnt need to be super strong signal,

when recording direct at home, i usualy monitor myself through headphone and the rest of the song i'm recording in through my pc monitor...

i just wanted to make sure an insert cable would give me the stereo sound the axe is puting out without breaking anything...

nico

Not sure which Mackie you have but I use a 1202VLZ Pro and a 1402VLZ Pro. Depending.

Both sound pristine.

Dutch said:
straighteight2003 said:
I actually tried this and it is possible with low impedance headphones. It's not loud, but definitely audible and sounds good. It's not a solution for live playing, but for noodling it suffices.
Above is true for higher end high impedance headphones. I've been told over 100 Ohms. Behringer makes a headphone amp for about $30 or less.
So you can just use the one of the Axe's mono Outputs? Isn't it...mono in the headphones?

Would Sennheiser HD280 Pro (64 ohms) be okay to use?

..I have a 2 track tape recorder with a headphone output.. Would I be able to use one of the Axe's outputs into that to monitor it with headphones? Or would I have to use both of the Axe's L+R outputs into the 2 track.. ?_?

my board is a eurorack 2004A....it's not a makie, it's a Behringer... (not quite has i remebered it...)

i haven't tried it yet with the axe, but I remember it coloring a lot the sound... maybe if i use the stereo input instead of 2 mono ones...

I only occassionally use the headphones, so top most quality is not the foremost consideration, so I decided to save a few bucks for this option. I went with a Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL headphone amp, somewhere areound $100, if I recall. It fits into one rack space, and has four in/outs. I then use the AxeFX's Out1 to the monitors, and Out2 to the headphone amp. I can also plug my iPod into one of the headphone inputs, and listen to it, as well, while jamming to a riff I'm trying to learn. I can then listen through the monitors, or the headphones, or both simultaneously.
If you're serious about the headphone sound quality, this setup may not be optimum, due to the marginal Behringer quality, but it gets me from here to there. It's more than adequate for using in my practice situation. I leave the headphone amp in the rack, and can plug an iPod into the I/O's at band practice, if we need a refresher on a song part - just play the iPod out through the monitors and PA system.

I bought a Mackie 402VLZ3 for $99.00 I plug the Axe into Channel 1 and my laptop into the Tape Inputs. I use the headphone out put on the mixer and everything sounds great. :D

Jim

are there any really small, quality, single headphone amps available that the axe sound justice?

hp/mp said:
So you can just use the one of the Axe's mono Outputs? Isn't it...mono in the headphones?

Would Sennheiser HD280 Pro (64 ohms) be okay to use?

..I have a 2 track tape recorder with a headphone output.. Would I be able to use one of the Axe's outputs into that to monitor it with headphones? Or would I have to use both of the Axe's L+R outputs into the 2 track.. ?_?
Thought I'd answer my own question..Yup, using the Axe's unbalanced L+R outs into my 2 track, then panning works like a charm. Well, the quality isn't too great being that it's an old tape 2 track, but for noodling it definetely works.

Back
Top Bottom