Axe-Fx with Fryette PS2

doughboy

I have a Freyette PS2 that I want to use to power my Axe FX & was wondering if anyone here does this & what the best way to hook things up would be?

Connect Out 1 Left (jack) to Line In on the PS2.
Make sure there's no cab simulation active in the preset.
Keep Power Amp Modeling in the Global menu engaged.
On the PS2, set Presence and Depth to noon.
Set the Input Level knob on the PS2 as desired, depending on the output signal of the III.

For more balanced tone, set Low Freq Resonance and High Freq Resonance on the Amp block's Speaker page both to zero.

Set the Input Level knob on the PS2 as desired, depending on the output signal of the III.

For more balanced tone, set Low Freq Resonance and High Freq Resonance on the Amp block's Speaker page both to zero.

Thank you so much for this info. I hooked my axefx to my PS2 into my cab & it sound amazing. I tried a solid state FR system but it really colored the tone somehow to the point that my patches sounded totally different, but the PS2 brought them to life.

Last edited:
Can you disable cab emulation on the Fryette and use an IR in the preset instead? The reason I ask is that I'm using Xitone FrFr cabs.

There is no cabinet emulation on the power station. It is a reactive load and a tube power amplifier in one box. You can definetly use it with an IR in the preset.

Given the PS2 is a tube power amp, wouldn't it be better to turn power amp modelling off?
If should be left on, does that also mean it's recommended to leave it on if feeding the FX Return on a tube head?

Given the PS2 is a tube power amp, wouldn't it be better to turn power amp modelling off?
If should be left on, does that also mean it's recommended to leave it on if feeding the FX Return on a tube head?
Not necessarily. If you are not pushing the Fryette power amp to saturation, you may well want to keep it on. If you are using amp models that are pushing the virtual power amp for it tone, compression, and feel; it will definitely react more naturally with poweramp modelling on. It is no different than running a real amp into the PS2's Amp in. The amps speaker out (that includes poweramp section) is being fed to the amp in of the ps2.

I had the Fryette, it's a cool device but I a/b compared with my SD powerstage at gig volume and it was so close I decided not to keep the Fryette. It also does change the sound a tiny bit. Great unit but it adds a lot of weight just to get tubes back in the chain.

Reactions: ESW
I just got a deal on a 2u Matrix GT1000, I owned the 1u version years ago but sold it. The fryette would have been nice but at least with the Matrix there's no need to worry about tubes.

Not necessarily. If you are not pushing the Fryette power amp to saturation, you may well want to keep it on. If you are using amp models that are pushing the virtual power amp for it tone, compression, and feel; it will definitely react more naturally with poweramp modelling on. It is no different than running a real amp into the PS2's Amp in. The amps speaker out (that includes poweramp section) is being fed to the amp in of the ps2.
This makes complete sense, thanks for the explanation. Especially when playing amp designs that rely more on poweramp saturation and breakup.

Back
Top Bottom