Axe Fx with a Power amp and old school Mesa cab?

I am looking to go from 2 8 ohm mono cabs to 1 stereo cab (yeah, I still prefer a power amp with my Axe) and came accross a n old school Mesa cab.... (2) C90 and (2) EV12L speakers....Have always loved those cabs, but not sure how it will pair up with the Axe.

I am currently using 2 cabs loaded with G12K-100's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
T

I run an AxeFx through a Mesa 2:90 and a Mesa halfback. Mine has two EVs in the bottom and 2 C90s in the top, and the top is still open. I think it sounds good. I've never had it with another one of my cab side-by-side to A/B it, though.

Ever since getting that cab and it being a huge step up in clarity, I'd have a hard time using any other cab as my main gigging cab, though.

I was never crazy about the halfbacks, I ended up buying the panel and closing mine back when I had one. But some people like them. It was more open than a regular 4x12 but I never felt like it had the thump I wanted. If you like the cab you shouldn't have any trouble getting the axe to sound good. I've used mine with all kinds of cabs, you just need to tweak. Since the mesa sounds in the axe are so well done, any mesa cab ought to work.

I do like my direct feed to sound as close to my stage sound as possible, so you may get into some confusion regarding which cab sim IR to use. But the point of the mesa halfbacks is to give you some open and some closed characteritics, so maybe just use closed back sims for your chunky sounds and open back sims for your cleans. Your stage cab will be somewhere in-between. (Although I don't think there's a closed-back sim that will duplicate the sound of those EV's).

Back
Top Bottom