Axe-Fx with a power amp and cab

Axe-Master
There are several ways you could refine this technique to be more accurate, such as using a sound meter, but in a pinch here's my go to method of dialing in the Axe with a real cab.

I also failed to mention the amp block should be set to "SS Power Amp & Cab" too.

Very helpful, thanks Leon. I have an incoming Powerstation that I'm going to use to run my III through a Matchless 212. Stoked to have that amp in the room feel back

I have some of my presets set up for a passive FRFR and guitar cab via the same Matrix SS amp using output 1 &3 on the Axefx . Will be experimenting with some of your techniques. Thanks again Leon .

Nice video!

How would this work with a Tube power amp with Power amp sims turned off?

Is the sequence the same or would you change anything?

Very helpful, thanks Leon. I have an incoming Powerstation that I'm going to use to run my III through a Matchless 212. Stoked to have that amp in the room feel back
Just a reminder::This video does not apply to the Powerstation. The resonance should be turned off for the PS instead. This is because the PS is a tube amp. The resonance thing is for solid state amps only.

Last edited:
While this is an OK video for those who don't want to buy anything extra,
It may be a good idea to get yourself a speaker impedance measuring device and actually do this precisely. Maybe a video on that?

While this is an OK video for those who don't want to buy anything extra,
It may be a good idea to get yourself a speaker impedance measuring device and actually do this precisely. Maybe a video on that?
Definitely. There's so much precision available with the FX3 it would be a shame not to.

If I'm sending a signal out to my Matrix and Mesa cab, but also sending a signal out to the PA with cab sims turned on, would this still apply? Basically, if I adjust it to sound good through my Mesa, will it sound correct through the PA using cab sims?

If I'm sending a signal out to my Matrix and Mesa cab, but also sending a signal out to the PA with cab sims turned on, would this still apply? Basically, if I adjust it to sound good through my Mesa, will it sound correct through the PA using cab sims?
You'd probably want to pick an IR that sounds like your mesa cab when mic'd, or shoot an IR of you mesa cab. I do something similar for recording ideas. I like to hear my cab when I play and record, so OUT 2 goes to a matrix and mesa cab, USB (OUT1) goes to the PC with cab sims. Globally I have cab sims on, I just omit a cab from the chain that leads to OUT 2

Back
Top Bottom