Axe-Fx vs Vetta HD after 10 days of tweaking.

Philip said:
jerotas said:
plexi59 said:
I never really have played a tube amp that I loved. I've always had (and loved) solid state sounds, for 19 years now.

I don't know anything about the quality of different speakers, but your comment above jumped out at me. If you don't like the sound of tube amps, I can see why the sound of the axe-fx would trouble you. ;)
-Phil

Lets say that I love the sound of a great many tube amps on CD's that I own. But I've never heard one in person and thought it was anything special. I'm pretty sure I would love an Engl Savage or a Diezel Herbert, but nobody carries those up here in Seattle. I'd still be pissed off that the amp doesn't have reverb. That would piss me off enough to not buy one. I don't find it acceptable to have to plug in another unit to get reverb, especially live.

And why change from the Vetta? Well I love the effects of the Axe enough to want to see if I could just get rid of the Vetta entirely. Instead of having one rig for live and a totally different rig for recording. Indeed I have used the Vetta to get some very very excellent tones on my recorded material (some have said it sounds very tube-ish, and that they can't believe it's a Vetta and so on). I record it dry (mic'd with 3 mics), then on mixdown add effects from whatever better-quality rack effects I have at the time. Many many compliments were received on my tone over the past couple years.

If I indeed can't get a better heavy tone from the Axe-Fx, it won't be the end of the world. I'll keep at it though. I'll try the effects loop insert idea. That sounds cool :)

And yeah, and hi to you former ION members whose names I recognize :)

Yes, he is... Ha-ha!

:lol: :D :)

As I had also said earlier in my previous reply, you CANNOT compare 2 rigs with one of them being heard through one or more Behringer B212A's. It's simply not a fair fight. I could literally put a really simple amp of almost any kind into Bogner cabinets and it is guaranteed to have better tone than anything through those Behringers.

Again, I own them. I'm not just saying it for any reason. I have them and am very familiar with their sound. They have this nasally, honky mid-range going on with virtually NO bottom end strength and p*$$ poor clarity in the high end. in my honest opinion, they stink. :?

Hey there Jerotas... have you tried to compare both Axe-fx and the Vetta through the Behringers?

If you want to make it a fair/even fight, you should disable the cab sims on both units and run it into a DAW with the same IR using a cab sim (IR) plugin...

If you are a lifelong solid stater you aren't necessarily conditioned to how a tube amp responds, sounds, and feels. One isn't better than another, some of the best metal tones of the 80's weren't tube tones and can be hard to attain with tube amps. Believe me, I know. I've yet to pull a better CC Deville tone out of the Axe-Fx than I have from my Pod X3 Live.

Yes, I know everyone is probably retching right now at the thought of anyone spending time coping CC's tone but the 80's tribute band I am part of dictates we throw the occasional "Talk Dirty To Me" or "Every Rose" number so I don't have a choice if I want to keep getting a paycheck.

PS: If anyone has such a tone for the Axe-Fx please PM me cause I want to hear it! I am close to retiring the Pod X3 but had to go back to it this past weekend because my Ernie Ball volume pedal failed, effectively killing all my volume and wah patches. Ordered one from James on the forums here and am looking forward to rockin' out with it.

Secret80'sMan said:
If you are a lifelong solid stater you aren't necessarily conditioned to how a tube amp responds, sounds, and feels. One isn't better than another, some of the best metal tones of the 80's weren't tube tones and can be hard to attain with tube amps. Believe me, I know. I've yet to pull a better CC Deville tone out of the Axe-Fx than I have from my Pod X3 Live.

Yes, I know everyone is probably retching right now at the thought of anyone spending time coping CC's tone but the 80's tribute band I am part of dictates we throw the occasional "Talk Dirty To Me" or "Every Rose" number so I don't have a choice if I want to keep getting a paycheck.

PS: If anyone has such a tone for the Axe-Fx please PM me cause I want to hear it! I am close to retiring the Pod X3 but had to go back to it this past weekend because my Ernie Ball volume pedal failed, effectively killing all my volume and wah patches. Ordered one from James on the forums here and am looking forward to rockin' out with it.

Send me your X3 patch, I can take a look at it. I still have my X3

mortega76 said:
Hey there Jerotas... have you tried to compare both Axe-fx and the Vetta through the Behringers?

If you want to make it a fair/even fight, you should disable the cab sims on both units and run it into a DAW with the same IR using a cab sim (IR) plugin...

Well I did briefly plug the Vetta into the Behringers...and it was VERY obvious that it sounded better onthe Bogners.

Griffin said:
Guitar-Tiz said:
If you put the Axe-FX into the return of the Vetta, and set the Vetta's loop to the end, you'll bypass everything in the Vetta but the digital converters.

If you want stereo you will have to have a Y cable that is one stereo split to two mono.
[/quote]

Guys!
In all the near screaming and shouting about the Behringer B212A, a few of you seem to be missing the OBVIOUS comparison. Yes, maybe better FRFR speakers will be better than those (and cost - ouch money), but a straight A/B with the Vetta and the AxeFX through the FX loop of the Vetta (with the loop as the end block) into the Bognor speakers will be a TRUE comparison. You could even set it up as "favorite" and compare using the fbv...You can even use an IR of your cab to pop out a good DI sound that is as "good" as your cab sound (or damn close)

Remember, Jerotas IS happy with his Vetta tones, I just think he will get much better results from the AxeFX - more likely with a straight (and true) A/B a this stage. Also bare in mind that we all know the Vetta's DI is nowhere near that of the AxeFX so any comparison along those lines is going to be ridiculous.

Remember FRFR is NOT for everyone anyway...I personally don't like it anywhere near as much a pumping 4x12...maybe I'll try again one day.

Jerotas, def try the FXLoop idea, I think you'll be liking your AxeFx a whole lot more right now (and you can gradually integrate it with your existing set-up until you cop all the tones you are after!!!) Once that is sorted...park the Vetta as backup (a decent solid state amp is pretty cheap)...then maybe look at FRFR if you want to go down that route. It would appear that the Behringer isn't the one to go for though!!! :lol:

Quick edit: don't forget to disable the cab sims if going through the Bognor cab...

I understand what you mean. Right now my Pod presets still sound better and cut through a two guitar band better than my Axe-FX presets do.

But then I remember how it took months, if not years, of constant and sometimes subtle tweaking to get those Pod patches to sound the way they do, and that makes me feel better. I have no doubt the Axe-FX patches are going eventually rule over my Pod stuff for high gain once I've put more time into them.

voes said:
or you could compare the axe-fx and the vetta thru the behringer monitors.

both ways would be a fair way to compare sounds.
Yep, that's the proper way to test it. It's like driving two F1 cars, one down your road where you live and the other one on a dedicated racing track. Which one would you say drove smoother ?

Been messing around with the Axe through the Vetta's power amp for a couple hours now. I ended up turning off the "Presence" control on the Vetta's output section. That made everything sound much better. I left on Loudness. Starting to get one good heavy tone.

Now if I decide to get a different power amp, it won't have the Loudness parameter...so maybe I'll always use the Vetta haha.

-<MACHINE>- said:
VegaBaby said:

Sorry for the thread jack...but how about that 1st round of F1 :shock:

For those that watch and/or are into it :cool:
Braun FTW! Mclaren and Ferrari had their tales tuck between their legs! :D

I had a vetta hd that i ran into an Ampeg 4x12 w/ G12T-75 in it and it sounded nowhere near as good as the Axe-Fx w/ Mosvalve 942 into the same cabinet.

Ok, I ended up turning off the loudness...sounds even better now. Starting to get some brutal heavy sounds! Mark II+ and Engl are killer! So is the JMP Marshall rackmount thing.

Back
Top Bottom