AXE FX vs Real Amp, knobs 1:1 no difference!

Larry Mitchell

Power User
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This past week I had the pleasure of going into the studio in MA with Matt Picone, Mark Day and the man himself Cliff Chase. The goal was to make some IRs and run the real amp (Marshall super lead, Peace 5150, Morgan and a Deluxe reverb) and the Axe Fx XL model through the same cab and dial the knobs up exactly the same and see what happens. It was more than eye opening! I had a switch to go back and forth with out being able to see which was which, and I could not tell the difference. In fact there where many times where we all where stumped.

With the knobs dial exactly the same on the model as the amp, going through the same cab. It was hard to impossible hear a difference. These where cliffs amps so these where the same amps that where modeled. I'm sure if you take two tube amps of the same brand same year even and run the knobs the same. You may hear a difference however slitely it may be. Even due to tube issues. But these sounded the same with the knobs set the same!

Normally I'm not that interested in the models sounding exactly like a specific amp I just go for a great sound. And the Fractal models have sounded great for a very long time. This was eye opening though that it's that close! :0)

I got to stop by the factory and meet the rest of the crew check out the new Ev-2 the much smaller and lighter new expression pedal from fractal. Looks like a great place to work. I even tried to blen in and sweep the floor hoping they wouldn't notice but they weren't having any of that. :0)

Oh and the Black Friday sale was in full effect. :0)

Larry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 45
Nice pics Larry, thanks for sharing. Those Knaggs guitars are cool.

Larry, which amp powered the axe/cab config?

This would be interesting to know and, if you didn't use the power section of the amps that you were comparing with, did you dial in the speaker page of the Axe amp or just leave at default? I find the Axe to be just like the amp but only after dialling in the speaker page to the cab that I am using, but that's with solid state power amp, not valves.

Last edited:
Very cool. I always said that the IR IR speaker is the perfect equalizer.
I can use a JMP into IRs or the Axe and it's close enough. And vice versa.

My fave is still Axe into IR as well as miked cab.

Next time let's time out Germany excursions better so we can raise some musical hell together.

Very cool. I always said that the IR IR speaker is the perfect equalizer.
I can use a JMP into IRs or the Axe and it's close enough. And vice versa.

My fave is still Axe into IR as well as miked cab.

Next time let's time out Germany excursions better so we can raise some musical hell together.

Hey Ed. That would be great. I'm looking at going back to Germany mid June to mid July as of now. It all depends on what goes on with my Italy tour.

Let's stay in touch about it! :0)

... I'm sure if you take two tube amps of the same brand same year even and run the knobs the same. You may hear a difference however slitely it may be. Even due to tube issues. But these sounded the same with the knobs set the same!

Normally I'm not that interested in the models sounding exactly like a specific amp I just go for a great sound.

Couldn't agree more... of course, having Larry's talent doesn't hurt either.

Hmm while I was playing and switching back and forth
Did it only SOUND the same to you or did it also FEEL the same? Those are different things!!!
mid phrasing I couldn't tell the difference. You know I switched between the two because there was an audio drop out when switching. But you didn't know which one I was playing through. There where I think twice where I was playing the real amp while Matt was dialing in the amp model and switched it and it was dead on! Just by dialing the same knob positions on the model as where in the amp.

Italy tour? Where? When? I hope you come play in the South too

Hey DLC86. I did 2 tours in ital this year. Hope to do the same areas and more next year. The last show it did was in the south in Maratea on the beach. It was the Maratea jazz festival. It was beautiful.
Played in Pescara, and I need my first cup of coffee today to remember the other cities. :0) I'm getting old,

Nice! Larry, can you divulge any details on the new FAS EV pedals?
Hmm. Not sure what kind of details one can give about an expression pedals. It was smaller than my Roland EV-5 pedal. It was lighter than the EV-1 and smooth. I think it has the same sweep as the EV-1

I don't know the price yet

image-jpeg.36329

I would have been like, "Hey man, you don't have to wait for me. Don't worry, I'll lock up." :D

Back
Top Bottom