AXE FX vs LEXICON PCM80

So , I have done some testing with both units..REVERBS only..........here is a sample..........everything has been played twice with one gear...followed by two times the other gear......so hopefully you can hear a difference or maybe not....:)

https://soundcloud.com/anandmahangoe/reverb-test-axe-fx-pcm80

The first has more predelay and a faster decay of the earlier reflections(Based on a visual inspection on the samples). Both sound great IMO. Maybe a little more clarity in the first due to the predelay.

AAEN

First stand out in the music. (Great feature when you are soloing) Second more integrated. Maybe due to the early reflection as mentioned in my previous post.

Sounds great.

AAEN

The first has more predelay and a faster decay of the earlier reflections(Based on a visual inspection on the samples). Both sound great IMO. Maybe a little more clarity in the first due to the predelay.

AAEN

Thanks man , i did put a little predelay on the AXE verb because my ear heard it a little on the PCM while the predelay setting is zero on that one....
Anyhow , they are both great..once again proven.........for me no use to still spend hours in getting them even closer....:)

First stand out in the music. (Great feature when you are soloing) Second more integrated. Maybe due to the early reflection as mentioned in my previous post.

Sounds great.

AAEN

I think you nailed the right words to express their characters mate ! There is something about the lexicon verbs that I just can`t get out from the AXE ...the way it sits around the direct signal......anyhow, great !
Axe FX stands out
Lexicon PCM80 integrated

Thanks..........Delaywise : AXE FX sounds equally great BUT can do so much more than the PCM80.........and again so much more easier to program while the PCM is a PITA............

Have a nice day !
A+

Thank you for this test Anand
Would you mind share the preset or the delay / rev settings ?
Thxs

Actually very easy :
- Delays : just take the Vintage Delays , Dual with 300-600ms.adjust levels to taste
- Reverbs : just take the Medium Cathedral , time around 4.10 , input diff 100% and adjust levels to taste........

I DID experiment with a lots parameters , like Hicut on 8khz , Color 2.01 and so on.........but to be honest : the AXE verbs just sound great as they are in default settings , so dont bother with these details........just take default and PLAY & ENJOY........

Both blocks are parallel.....so mix is 100%

have fun,
A+

Hi all,

First post here, I'm a new AXE FX 2 user. I'm blown away by the Axe in general, but I have difficulties to make the reverb sound the way I like it - warmer (?) and thicker - a little bit less defined.
@ Admin M@; PacoCasanovas : would you share some reverb presets close to the Lex quality ? Could you give me some advice to approach it ?

Thank you

Sure - I can, as soon the new AE is ready (I have a Mac, as a part-time "Midiot" :)lol ) I didn't managed to get my axefx II presets out of the box yet.

Just as an idea for your beginning - combine the reverb block with a very subtile tape drive- or a very slight compression effect (not just as serial connection, try parallel as well and put the Reverb Mix on 100% when using parallel tape drive), add some high cut filter on the reverb block. It will get's you there.... :)

Back
Top Bottom