AXE FX vs LEXICON PCM80

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hey ,
I was able to get a PCM80 for very little , so took it to try out vs the AXE FX...............AXE is first , PCM80 is second :)
The previous clips are removed as I did not find them representable.....:)

EDITED : here is a REVERB test only......let me know what you think about it.....:)
https://soundcloud.com/anandmahangoe/reverb-test-axe-fx-pcm80

EDITED : here is one with the backing track !
https://soundcloud.com/anandmahangoe/reverb-test-with-backing-track

EDITED : This one is with full Delays + Verbs with Backing.....
https://soundcloud.com/anandmahangoe/delays-verbs-backing

Thanks for listening and let me know if you have any advise of getting even closer.....????
Grtzzz,
A+

Last edited:
hmmm ... I wasn't using my studio monitors but on my computer speakers the only major discernible difference was EQ ... clip 1 sounded much brighter and crisper.

#1 was better to my ears but with a bit of tweaking I'm sure they could be made to sound almost identical.

Listening on my laptop. I find the second more appealing.

Maybe it is a little "wetter" than the first?

Eather way I wouldnt bother getting the Lex....

AAEN

Liked 1 better. More guitar texture while still having great ambiance. On 2 you can hear the delays more discretely which makes me more conscious of them as delay rather than feeling them as ambiance. Excellent guitar sound and good feel overall.

Uh... the 2nd one has a lot more attack on the delay - and more top end and more bottom. And the stereo separation is a lot more noticeable. And it's louder. So I don't really know how to go about judging if one is better than the other because they are so different.

In my opinion, no. 1 has a nicer ambience to it, whereas no. 2 is stark and a bit clangy. It could probably be fixed with EQ and a little overal level drop.

hi,
So , the first one is the lexicon , both units using the same delay timing.....difference to my hearing :
- Lexicon VERB is really full / thick , typical character of Lexicon verbs ....AXE verb is very natural / lighter sounding....will not sounds as a Lexicon even when you use EQ.
- lexicon delays are thicker while the AXE (TC2290`s dual) are more clearer to hear in the mix....if I would have used the VINTAGE delay , it would be very close ...BUT that was not my goal.........as I like the AXE delays (TC2290`s ) really a lot :)

I took from both units the best delays and verbs and compared them.....

lexicon does sound `less`wet , true that as they are thicker / warmer while the AXE is more natural / hifi and makes the whole very juicy........

perhaps the AXE effects were a bit louder , not a big deal as the overal opinion stays the same :
Lexicon is thicker / warmer
AXE is more hifi / natural

BOTH of them are GREAT.......................BUT the lexicon is a pain in the ass to programm for many..........whereas the AXE is so easy...just dial in one of the default settings , adjust level / timing and you are good to go..........

Both of them can go very deep...IF you would like to , but the default AXE are great.........default Lexicon presets / settings are of NO use for us Guitarplayers...
And of course : would require lots of more cables / line mixer and stuff..............
Actually , the day I got the lexicon , within one hour I had it already up for sale...........:)
i would only choose the lexicon for the REVERBS because I like its character....but not a real factor......so if I can sell it , ok , if not than great for recordings...

Thanks for listening and do appreciate what we have in this magic box even though there are lots of people blindly assuming that the AXE can not compare up to the high end Lexicon PCM 80 and others..................I might buy in the future an Eventide H3000 to compare too..........:)

It is all a matter of TASTE which charater you prefer BUT the ability / quality is right up there amongst the highest FX processors...

and now let`s go to level 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is a little confusing. You used a TC2290 sim to compare to the PCM80 but I initially thought the thread was aimed more at users who want to know if the Axe can emulate the PCM80 sufficiently; i.e. so that we don't feel the need to buy a PCM80 for its unique sound. However, it seems to compare two styles of Reverb and Delay for us to choose our preference. Also, the takes are different and in places can blur what's reverb vs. the playing (on the guitar).

Anyway, I like the first clip but it doesn't mean that I would always like the PCM80. I'd be interested in hearing someone's best attempt at emulating that sound on the Axe. Maybe it would require more than just the reverb block for the reverb. I had PCM70's but haven't had the urge to use reverb units or plugins for pretty much anything lately. If I'm in the Axe, I use the reverbs inside (actually more cab room than reverb). I've toyed with getting TC2290 in much the same way that you're considering the Eventide but it's a potentially expensive experiment. What if I decided to keep it!

I do like these types of posts though since it helps me gain a wider perspective.

No sorry mate ...I did not program them to fight with each other , i that case I would have programmed them much more carefully and detailed..BUT even then :you can not emulate the PCM80 sound / character with the AXE or any other gear same way like you can not get a Lexicon to sound like an Eventide or TC2290 or TC1210 or the Tri Chorus.......maybe till 90-95% or so but there will always be that little character what will be missing IF ones hears it.........MY goal was to see / hear if the difference in SOUNDS between them would justify an extra PCM80......
It is not intended to be a `which is better` clip.......they are both great........!
That`s why I took from both units their best delays / verbs and see how their character would be in a mix....
...in my case I prefer the TC2290 delays sim better and the PCM80 can not get that kind of clearness in its delays.........
Verbs preference goes to the Lexicon.

I used to have the PCM70 and TC2290........none of them I would buy again as they are not worth that extra amount of money....unless I could afford 2 TC2290`s for Dual delays.....hahahah.......AXE FX does compare to them very well :)
BUT the PCM80 would be worth keeping for its reverbs........even though live I dont use them that much......for recording I would consider keeping it.

MY goal was to see / hear if the difference in SOUNDS between them would justify an extra PCM80......

Got it. Personally I'd say yes based on those clips if I was paying close attention to reverb and it was an important mix. The Axe preset sounded too sterile in comparison even if it's clearer. But I'd also like to hear an attempt to get as close as possible to the PCM80 using the Axe. It's time consuming and maybe not worth the effort to you... I'm not even sure I'd attempt it if I had a PCM80 sitting here right now.

I think you could taper the Axe-Fx decay and verb tone to be exactly like that in the first clip. I've matched Lexicon verbs with artists before. Just use your ears instead of the numbers. Also, doesn't a PCM have a little compander action on the wet? This would affect the decay taper.

I think you could taper the Axe-Fx decay and verb tone to be exactly like that in the first clip. I've matched Lexicon verbs with artists before. Just use your ears instead of the numbers. Also, doesn't a PCM have a little compander action on the wet? This would affect the decay taper.

I confirm this (as a long term PCM70 user)

PS: Nice avatar, very saucy! :lol

If I find some time , I will sit and look into it.........:)

Hi all,

First post here, I'm a new AXE FX 2 user. I'm blown away by the Axe in general, but I have difficulties to make the reverb sound the way I like it - warmer (?) and thicker - a little bit less defined.
@ Admin M@; PacoCasanovas : would you share some reverb presets close to the Lex quality ? Could you give me some advice to approach it ?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom