Axe FX vs Amplitube vs Revalver vs TH3 vs Pod Farm vs 8505 vs Guitar Rig vs Helix: 5150 edition

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys,

With all the 'vs' and modeler battle demos going on I thought it would be cool to do a few SDS style.
We're comparing 8 different amp modelers in a full band context, just as you would use/hear them in real life.
All of the amp modelers are running through the exact same OwnHammer 4x12 EVH IR.
All of the plugins without IR loaders go through NadIR (with the internal cabs disabled).

The modelers in this video include:

Fractal Audio Axe FX
Overloud TH3
Peavey Revalver 4
IK Multimedia Amplitube 4
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
Line 6 Pod Farm 2
Nick Crow 8505
Line 6 Helix Floor

This episode focuses on the legendary Peavey 5150 amp.

I'd love to hear your thoughts guys!
How well do you think does the Axe FX stack up to the rest?

Very close, except the POD. Which proves again that the IR plays such an important role.

Very close, except the POD. Which proves again that the IR plays such an important role.

"All of the amp modelers are running through the exact same OwnHammer 4x12 EVH IR."

Probably the amp modeling quality difference is the case this time?

Isn't this a waste of time in the end ? Like all shoot-outs. Modeller X might sound better with a different cab. And then it's a matter of taste.

Hey guys,

With all the 'vs' and modeler battle demos going on I thought it would be cool to do a few SDS style.
We're comparing 8 different amp modelers in a full band context, just as you would use/hear them in real life.
All of the amp modelers are running through the exact same OwnHammer 4x12 EVH IR.
All of the plugins without IR loaders go through NadIR (with the internal cabs disabled).

The modelers in this video include:

Fractal Audio Axe FX
Overloud TH3
Peavey Revalver 4
IK Multimedia Amplitube 4
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
Line 6 Pod Farm 2
Nick Crow 8505
Line 6 Helix Floor

This episode focuses on the legendary Peavey 5150 amp.

I'd love to hear your thoughts guys!
How well do you think does the Axe FX stack up to the rest?

Very professionally done, kudos man!

I blindly picked Helix from this but interesting that GR5 is pretty good. My favorite lead tone is in GR5 but I've never found a good rhythm tone - probably due to IR's. You've inspired me to try it out with external loaders, thanks!

..yeah, I need to revisit Guitar Rig with my army of IRs.....it has sat , ignored but updated, for years......hopefully with the assistance of our much anticipated FAS load box..! Anybody ever run a raw GR amp into the FX return of an axe FX or the POST in of an FX8?

I blindly picked Helix from this but interesting that GR5 is pretty good. My favorite lead tone is in GR5 but I've never found a good rhythm tone - probably due to IR's. You've inspired me to try it out with external loaders, thanks!

Thanks for chiming in so far, please keep the comments coming, the results have been interesting!

Totally agree!

Cheers! People's opinions have been pretty varied so far, which is really interesting.
GR5 definitely isn't bad but imho there are a few in this video that are nicer overall...

..yeah, I need to revisit Guitar Rig with my army of IRs.....it has sat , ignored but updated, for years......hopefully with the assistance of our much anticipated FAS load box..! Anybody ever run a raw GR amp into the FX return of an axe FX or the POST in of an FX8?

Never done that, interesting idea!

I used to be fascinated by comparisons but now I've come to think of the Axe as "the Axe" vs. the amps it can model if that makes sense. I've stopped caring if the Axe can sound like the real amp or sound better than the Helix etc. I just care about the sounds it's capable of and the sonic freedom it's given me.

I used to be fascinated by comparisons but now I've come to think of the Axe as "the Axe" vs. the amps it can model if that makes sense. I've stopped caring if the Axe can sound like the real amp or sound better than the Helix etc. I just care about the sounds it's capable of and the sonic freedom it's given me.

That makes complete sense!

Nice work.

I know you are probably promoting the cab IR quality more than the actual devices used but I'd be interested in hearing about which of them 'felt' best to play with. I've only dabbled with some of them but there was times when I perceived some latency between pick and sound ..... especially with software based ones.

I also think the heavy gain sounding amp models would be easier to achieve closer matches ...... a test with a more dynamic type amp and going from clean(ish) to dirty just using guitar volume and/or picking strength would be interesting to hear. (different IR probably required ... but you have plenty of other OH ones there I'm sure)

Very limited spectrum being compared here, if I were after this kind of tonal character, any one of these modelers would do… not very challenging for a modeler.
Challenging would be to hear how well the character of the modeler can be controlled with pick attack/intensity/technique (dynamics).
Is interaction between player and modeler possible (Amp-feel)?
How well does the modeler clean up and interact with the guitars volume and tone control?
How well does the modeler do clean, mid- and high-gain?

Just MHO…

Back
Top Bottom