Axe-Fx versus UA OX cab sims

Torqvaw

Just bought an OX to use with my Amps. Also have an XL that I purchased a few years back. Use for just effects and also will utilize the Amp/Cab sims at times too.

Everybody always talks about, and I agree that the cab IR's make the largest difference relative to tone.

I can get very good tones out of my Axe, however, usually not until I tweak beyond the tone page in the amp settings. Usually prior to adjusting the amp block EQ and speaker settings the tone is quite dark and somewhat "muffled" sounding. I really do not like to tweak too much because I find I will easily do more of that than playing, so I always assumed and still do that I am missing something. I was okay with that because I could make it work and get what I was after. Then came the OX..

I have a 59 Super Lead, and a Jub that I run through the OX and into the Axe fx. This setup sounds freaking amazing, as long as I use the cab sims in the OX. It has tons of clarity, very open, etc...Sounds outstanding! No tweaking at all. The OX has a CAB loaded with Greenbacks which is the one that I have used. It does have the ability to EQ and low pass the three mic sims included. which do affect the tone. I have them completely flat and it still sounds amazing. As soon as turn off the cab sim in the OX and use and IR in the Axe is goes back to sounding dark and "muffled". This has also been my experience with Amp models not just when I try to run an attenuated amp into the Axe.

Just to be clear I am not knocking anybody's work. I love my Axe and am contemplating upgrading to the III. Also not taking s jab at any of the IR producers that frequent the board. I know it is something that I am not grasping, and am only sharing my experience, and at the same time asking for a bit of guidance.

Cheers!

If you have the time to post a sound sample, I'd be very interested to hear the tone you're getting with the OX IR vs. the Axe IR. I'd expect IRs to perform similarly in both devices, so maybe you just prefer the IR in the OX. I don't have any experience trying to match those, but I'll bet others have ideas.

I experimented a bit running amps into my Axe III, with mixed results. Most natural tones were running tube amp into a real cabinet, tapping off signal with a Suhr ISO and into Axe. I was less happy with the reactive loads--they all changed the amp tone significantly enough that I found little benefit in using the real amp once I separated it from the real speaker load--was able to get good results quickly using amp models in the Axe.

Good luck!

-James

If you have the time to post a sound sample, I'd be very interested to hear the tone you're getting with the OX IR vs. the Axe IR. I'd expect IRs to perform similarly in both devices, so maybe you just prefer the IR in the OX. I don't have any experience trying to match those, but I'll bet others have ideas.

I experimented a bit running amps into my Axe III, with mixed results. Most natural tones were running tube amp into a real cabinet, tapping off signal with a Suhr ISO and into Axe. I was less happy with the reactive loads--they all changed the amp tone significantly enough that I found little benefit in using the real amp once I separated it from the real speaker load--was able to get good results quickly using amp models in the Axe.

Good luck!

-James
Just stumbled across this thread/post and didn't know about the Suhr ISO line out device. Thanks for mentioning that James. I tend to use my old tube amps more so lately, but I'd like to be able to incorporate my Axe II with them at times. I use to have H&K redbox, but you couldn't turn off the cab sim on the one I had. That Suhr device looks perfect.

It all depends on the IR, i.e. the IR's cab, speaker, and mic position in the recording environment, plus the Cab Block's LPF/HPF and Proximity Control.

Get those right and it'll sound similar, though the OX does have the best Room Sim going.

The OX is not using the open source ir's that everyone including Axe is using.
so indeed you may reached conclusion that what UA did with cab simulation is simply more natural and true sounding than the usual ir's everyone else is using. UA have a thing with modeling many types of devices and their own philosophy and techniques.
i plan to get an ox. And then settle for my final recording rig:
  • Real Amp into ox
  • Real Amp into Axe
  • Axe Alone
  • Axe into OX

see which wins for me.

so indeed you may reached conclusion that what UA did with cab simulation is simply more natural and true sounding than the usual ir's everyone else is using. UA have a thing with modeling many types of devices and their own philosophy and techniques.
  • Real Amp into ox
  • Real Amp into Axe
  • Axe Alone
  • Axe into OX

see which wins for me.

Did you ever test this out? Curious. I've been using Fractal since 2012, love it. Just got an OX and really enjoying that too. Would be curious on what you ended up with?

• Real Amp into ox
  • Real Amp into Axe
  • Axe Alone
  • Axe into OX

see which wins for me.
Did you ever test this out? Curious. I've been using Fractal since 2012, love it. Just got an OX and really enjoying that too. Would be curious on what you ended up with?
Did anyone of you run the Axe into the OX using the OX Cab Sim?

Back
Top Bottom