Axe-Fx USB Audio Interface question

Hi everyone. I just bought an Axe-Fx II XL+, took me a while to figure out how to use it. I got a question: I'm trying to use it as a direct USB audio interface for my computer. The sound came out alright through the monitors but when I run it through my headphones (AT M50x) to listen to music and what not, it sounds really crappy and quiet, way worse than the on-board audio card. I have looked up all the solutions posted but they didn't fix the problem. Did anyone have the same problem before? Is it nomral? Thanks for reading.

That's okay.

Does playing (factory presets) sound okay through the phones?

That's okay.

Does playing (factory presets) sound okay through the phones?

It sounds OK cuz I can tweak the volume of the presets through Axe Edit. However, the signal from my computer is maxed out, the only way to crank up the volume of it is to use the master volume knob on my AxeFx. But even if I crank it all up it's still quiet.

Sly, you have your headphones connected into the headphone jack of your AXEFXII, right? I don't believe the USB connection plays a role in what you hear if your headphones are directly connected to the axe. Have you tried turning off your computer and just playing through your headphones? There are several volumes to be considered, the volume of Output Level 1 on the Axe (top volume knob, it's labeled clearly) and the volume pot on your guitar of course. See if you can get the proper volume through your headphones without the computer powered on and then work from there. It's possible you have your monitors set at a high volume level so the headphones sound low.
In any case, it does work beautifully with headphones so the solution is there somewhere if these suggestions do not help.

Sly, you have your headphones connected into the headphone jack of your AXEFXII, right? I don't believe the USB connection plays a role in what you hear if your headphones are directly connected to the axe. Have you tried turning off your computer and just playing through your headphones? There are several volumes to be considered, the volume of Output Level 1 on the Axe (top volume knob, it's labeled clearly) and the volume pot on your guitar of course. See if you can get the proper volume through your headphones without the computer powered on and then work from there. It's possible you have your monitors set at a high volume level so the headphones sound low.
In any case, it does work beautifully with headphones so the solution is there somewhere if these suggestions do not help.

Yes sir my headphones are plugged straight in. The reason why I asked is because I want to listen to the computer audio thru my Axe Fx as well (cuz I like to jam over backing tracks, and using headphones is the only solution for playing at night). However volume of the computer audio and the Axe Fx preset are so imbalanced, I had to lower the preset volume to be able to hear both of them since the volume control was maxed out. I couldn't do anything about it.

The sound came out alright through the monitors
The sound came out through the monitors? So... are the monitors connected to your computer or the Axe?

If the monitors are connected to your PC, and you hear sound through them, it means your computer isn't using the Axe as the output device. Go into the computer control panel and select the Axe as the output or playback device.

The sound came out through the monitors? So... are the monitors connected to your computer or the Axe?

If the monitors are connected to your PC, and you hear sound through them, it means your computer isn't using the Axe as the output device. Go into the computer control panel and select the Axe as the output or playback device.
This.

Thanks for the input. I actually haven't bought any studio monitors yet, I am running it through my amp (Aux in), so it's Guitar (Instru in)---> Axe Fx (Phone out) > Amp (Aux In). And my computer audio output is going through Axe Fx (USB) as well, so all the sound (including the computer audio) are coming out from the amp. However, the level of the computer audio is a lot lower than the guitar signal (presets). I switched to my headphones with the same set up and I got the same result. Now I have to lower the preset volume to balance out the computer audio but still even I crank up the master volume knob on my Axe Fx but it doesn't do much.

What levels do you get on the VU meter when you play, vs. the levels you get when you're just playing the backing track?

Back
Top Bottom