Axe-Fx Ultra vs Axe-Fx 2

Tzuki

Hello my new friends!

Been playing guitar since forever and had a few amps around me but I'm thinking of getting either a Axe FX ultra or axe fx 2.

Why these 2?
I don't want to pay more than 1000€(used) for an axe fx.

My question is I could get a Axe fx ultra for 550 inlc. Shipping or a Axe fx 2 for 1000 incl. Shipping.

I know the axe fx 2 is better, sounds realer and is easier to dial, but does it justify 450€ more?

Usage will be studio only.
Mainly metal (core/djent) and clean ambient.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Tzuki

Go for the Axe II. I owned both. Advantage Axe II: USB connection to your computer so you can use Axe Edit for programming the sounds. With the Ultra you need complicated midi connection stuff (I'm not an expert in that kind of technology). And of course the further developed algorhythms for the modelling (Ares 2.0).

Go for the ULTRA, I’m also a metal guy and there is definitely something special in the ultra for these styles. I’ve tried other’s abs they aren’t any better.

Go for the Axe II. I owned both. Advantage Axe II: USB connection to your computer so you can use Axe Edit for programming the sounds. With the Ultra you need complicated midi connection stuff (I'm not an expert in that kind of technology). And of course the further developed algorhythms for the modelling (Ares 2.0).
I don't mind the USB, since I got a midi interface that's okay.

My question is like the sound improvement from Ultra to vs fx 2 really 450€ worth.

I don't mind the USB, since I got a midi interface that's okay.

My question is like the sound improvement from Ultra to vs fx 2 really 450€ worth.
I had a friend that purchased the Ultra two years ago and he was not very tech-savvy but I only had the AX2 and I remembered they were a little different so I had offered to re-learn it myself for him if he let me borrow it for a weekend (afterwards I could walk him through how to set it up and use it).

I found it was really easy to dial in a good "recording" sound and even a pretty good live sound through my tube power amp with a cab pretty quickly since it was simpler than the AX2 (due to having fewer options and less tweakable parameters).

It helped me to better understand how to dial in the AX2 afterwards.

My friend loved the sound I was able to get with his Ultra through my set-up so he purchased the same things.

I decided to purchase two of them myself since there was a "few" things that I liked better in the Ultra than the AX2.

However, the AX2 still has "more" things that I like better in the AX2 than the Ultra AND there are some things that you could never do in the Ultra that were incorporated into the AX2.

Also, the AX2's received a HUGE firmware update called Ares that really made them come alive.

It can be argued that the effects are much better in the AX2 but many of the effects of the Ultra have that older effect sound that some might prefer over a more modern/cleaner effect sound found in the AX2.

Ultra's are starting to be sold for really cheap these days and if you want to save some extra money then start with an Ultra and learn the Fractal Audio basics while searching for a cheap priced AX2 since they are starting to drop in price as well.

I have seen some Ultra's go for as low as $450 and some AX2's for as low as $650 (it does not happen often but they have gone this low).

I had picked up an Ultra that looked BRAND NEW for even less than $450 with a midi controller (I will never sell it since it was super cheap and I found there were some things that I really liked in the Ultra plus I always regretted selling my Ultra).

You might decide to keep both like me if you can get them cheap enough :)

The AX8's have been dropping in price as well and they sound very similar to the AX2's plus you get the incorporated footswitches.

I recently purchased an FX8 and an AX8 and I feel they are both keepers as well.

I will always keep my Ultra, XL+, FX8 and AX8, even though I own the AX3 MKII and FM3 since every one of them offer something different and unique :cool:

Best wishes!!

I had a friend that purchased the Ultra two years ago and he was not very tech-savvy but I only had the AX2 and I remembered they were a little different so I had offered to re-learn it myself for him if he let me borrow it for a weekend (afterwards I could walk him through how to set it up and use it).

I found it was really easy to dial in a good "recording" sound and even a pretty good live sound through my tube power amp with a cab pretty quickly since it was simpler than the AX2 (due to having fewer options and less tweakable parameters).

It helped me to better understand how to dial in the AX2 afterwards.

My friend loved the sound I was able to get with his Ultra through my set-up so he purchased the same things.

I decided to purchase two of them myself since there was a "few" things that I liked better in the Ultra than the AX2.

However, the AX2 still has "more" things that I like better in the AX2 than the Ultra AND there are some things that you could never do in the Ultra that were incorporated into the AX2.

Also, the AX2's received a HUGE firmware update called Ares that really made them come alive.

It can be argued that the effects are much better in the AX2 but many of the effects of the Ultra have that older effect sound that some might prefer over a more modern/cleaner effect sound found in the AX2.

Ultra's are starting to be sold for really cheap these days and if you want to save some extra money then start with an Ultra and learn the Fractal Audio basics while searching for a cheap priced AX2 since they are starting to drop in price as well.

I have seen some Ultra's go for as low as $450 and some AX2's for as low as $650 (it does not happen often but they have gone this low).

I had picked up an Ultra that looked BRAND NEW for even less than $450 with a midi controller (I will never sell it since it was super cheap and I found there were some things that I really liked in the Ultra plus I always regretted selling my Ultra).

You might decide to keep both like me if you can get them cheap enough :)

The AX8's have been dropping in price as well and they sound very similar to the AX2's plus you get the incorporated footswitches.

I recently purchased an FX8 and an AX8 and I feel they are both keepers as well.

I will always keep my Ultra, XL+, FX8 and AX8, even though I own the AX3 MKII and FM3 since every one of them offer something different and unique :cool:

Best wishes!!
Well I would buy an ax2 if I would have the chance to get one for 650€.

Axe fx's are just so expensive here...

I think for the money, the II is the sweet spot. I noticed a large improvement when upgrading my ultra to the II.
I don’t know the used price, but I would also seriously consider the FM3.

@Tzuki

How much are used FM3's going for in your country?

What is the price difference between them and the other used Fractal units?
There are none, sadly...

But the Fm3 costs 1250€~
And here in Germany used axe Fx 2 goes for about 1000-1500€

Guess it would be better waiting for the Fm3?

My advice, absolutely get the FM3 - with all technology products I'd buy the latest version I could.

If I couldn't get that, in this case - AX8, great 'gateway', easy to program and built in footswitches

I have owned all fractal products since the first Axe-FXStandard. I would recommend that you get the II over the Ultra. The difference is notable, not only in better sound, but in user interface, CABs, flexibility, and availability of user patches from this comunity. The Axe-FX II has some features of "Ares", the latest firmware from the Axe-FX III.

(unless, of course, you have the opportunity to get the FM3 or the III)

Back
Top Bottom