Axe FX Ultra vs. Avid Eleven Rack

I appreciate the feedback, Stratman, but this thread wouldn't exist in the first place if I had tried both units out. I, like many of us, aren't fortunate enough to buy and "try out" gear as we please. I don't know anybody within driving distance of me that has either unit and for that matter, nobody that sells the products. This is what forums are for.

I appreciate the feedback, Stratman, but this thread wouldn't exist in the first place if I had tried both units out. I, like many of us, aren't fortunate enough to buy and "try out" gear as we please. I don't know anybody within driving distance of me that has either unit and for that matter, nobody that sells the products. This is what forums are for.

Yes-But forums are not for stating as fact something you read. You didn't say You read the few notches up thread. You just said the Axe is a few notches above the 11R. I am sure Brandon, whom you were conversing with believe it-why wouldn't he.You know, I hope you get what you want, really. Because obviously I am wasting my time trying make you understand what I am refering to. So I'll bow out-better things to do

My question is.. if the Axe FX is many notches above the Pod HD, Eleven Rack and other competing units.. How much MONEY are those notches worth? :) I just sold my 11R for $450 and after ebay gets their cut I'll probably end up with $400 and I paid $650.. So I lost quite a bit of money trying this unit out. I could buy a used Pod HD, GSP1101 and other more affordable units before taking the jump and spending significantly more for the AFX. BUT I'm sure I wont be happy with them and end up losing more money each time I resell them. I've never cared for anything Line 6 except for Pod Farm for some reason. Digitech stuff all sounds like shit to me. I know you can squeeze a decent tone out of anything with enough parametric EQ tweaking but to me that's ridiculous. I dont have to do that with a real amp and I dont want to do it with an amp modeller.

Brandon9271, check my earlier post in this thread, every time you buy and sell gear it will cost money. Only you can decide on your budget how long you may use a piece of gear etc. longer term the Axe FX is an excellent value. See if you can find somewhere to try one out.

No way to qualify the differences in dollars as that depends on the user.

I have both (Ultra and 11R), and while the 11R sounds fine it's way more limited than the Axe, most notably in FX, Routing, MIDI Control, and use of third party IR's.

What does this mean?

It means that if the 11R sounds good for you you're done (basic guitar sounds etc), though if you need more then you need the Axe or something else etc (more FX, different Cab Sims, better MIDI Control and incredible routing etc).

My question is.. if the Axe FX is many notches above the Pod HD, Eleven Rack and other competing units.. How much MONEY are those notches worth?

I sold my 11R last night.. and I just contacted a forum member about an Ultra for sale.. :mrgreen *fingers crossed*

I hope you get the Ultra. But as the other guys have said-you can make an 11r sound OK-many make it work. When I had my Boss GT-10 I l;oved the sounds. I was ready to buy the Boss GT Pro (Rackmount GT 8 with routing options.
Am I glad I have the axe (3 1/2 years now) Yes I am. was I happy with the Boss Stuff, yes I was. That's what it's all about.

I bought an Ultra! :)

I owned a Boss Gt Pro once that i completely forgot about! lol i liked it a lot as far as routing options and the effects were nice. I still didn't like the Cosm amp modeling. Although, it was passable with a power amp and cab. If the ultra doesnt work out for me i think I'm going get an egnater tourmaster or some other midi controllerable 4 channel amp and put a Gsp1101 in the loop for effects.

Thanks! I'm going to try using a Toneport DI gold as an audio interface/headphone amp for the ultra. Hopefully it will suffice for a while.

Make that two of us, Brandon. :D

I've seen plenty of interviews of guitarist showing their live rigs and the Ultra is their main source of sound in their rig.

We can get the Fx2 after the Fx3 comes out.. lol And you are right.. the Ultra was good enough for John Petrucci,Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick before the Fx2 came out. :) I'm sure my head will explode as it is.. the Fx2 might be too much too soon :)

Yeah. I can't wait to get mine so I can get going! I have one question for you though, Brandon. What are you going to use to connect your Ultra to your Mac/PC? Any interfaces, cables, etc that you plan on using?

I have a little Line 6 Toneport DI which i used with Pod Farm, Amplitube and stuff like that. It only has one intrument input but for now I'm just going to run the Axe fx mono into that. Its 44khz/16bit I think or maybe 48/24bit.. not sure but should do fine for now. I will eventually buy something with at least 3 in so I can record a stereo mix plus dry guitar for reamping. Might buy a Toneport UX8. its 8 in and 8 out with mic pres and line inputs on all 8. Plus it comes with Pod Farm Platinum.

Since you're using some Line 6 products, this leads me to another question. Currently, I'm using Line 6 guitarport interface with the included Gearbox software for my FX and I'm using Riffworks software by Sonoma wireworks as my recording software. I should be able to use Riffworks as my recording sotware with my ultra, should I?

Ive only ever used riffworks for "sketching" rough song ideas. I would think something like Reaper Or Sonar would be better but I only ever used the Riffworks "lite" version. I personally use Sonar Home 6 studio XL. Its a little dated but it does everything I need. I'm going to download Reaper later on tonight. I've heard many good things about it and its FREE :)

Back
Top Bottom