axe fx ultra patch, any use to me?

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all. I have a chance of getting a patch from a band i really like, but he uses an ultra.
Is it any good to me at all?
Or if he tells me detailed settings,will that help?

Cheers

Joe

It won't hurt but the amp sims sound different in the II so you may want to just use it as a general guideline to get in the ballpark of what your after.

The short answer is 'yes' the detailed settings would help you. The long answer is that you will have to translate the detailed settings of the blocks in the Ultra preset to the language of the II. Some parameters are easy to translate (they're almost the same on both units) but others may need to be guessed because they don't exist on both platforms. I had several presets on my Ultra that I liked and I 'translated' them to my II with great results. I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.

To add to northtraders comments...
The presets are NOT compatible.

As one of the team that migrated the last set of Ultra Factory presets to the Axe-II, the detailed setting MAY help, but there's been so-o-o many enhancements to the amp modeling (plus new parameters, etc) since fw 1.x, that I'd wait for 10 to come out.. then use the detailed settings on the Ultra preset as a starting point only. Use your ears from there.

You may have more success with mapping the effect blocks over.. they are a little closer.

Good luck...

cool, cheers guys.
i know its not going to be a case of load it on and little tweak here and there, but i guess it could help me understand what/what he has done things in it.

altho it is not compatible, will it actually load in to the 2? or should i use axe edit to look at it without touching the axe fx?

cheers

An ultra preset will not load into the II. What I did was "investigate" the settings in my Ultra preset using Axe-Edit and wrote the settings down. Then I created a new preset on the II and attempted to replicate the settings in the applicable blocks. Yeah, it takes some time but if you're only dealing with a few presets, you can be successful with this approach.

Check out CyberFerret's axefxreporter utility. It could help you in your endeavors.....

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...s-well-axe-fx-ii.html?highlight=axefxreporter

I would suggest the following - (1) create an audio recording/loop of you playing through that Axe Ultra preset as a reference (the best would be to create a dry loop - just guitar signal, then run it through the Ultra and back into the Audio recorder - that way, you can run the same lopp into the Axe 2 so the playing is identical); (2) get the Ultra settings (do a screen grab of the Axe Edit screens); (3) if possible, play the loop through your monitors and then use your ears to tweak the Axe 2 through whatever system you play through (FRFR or Amp/GTR Cab); (4) Find the Axe 2 amp model that sounds the closest to the Ultra; then try to find a cab that sounds the closest; then use TMBP to get in the ball park of the EQ, then try deep editing paramters to get it even closer. Most likely, you'll end up with a patch that beats the one you are trying to emulate.

I've done this with real amps and models and it works quite well. As Scott P has always said, use your ears. I have crappy ears, but this process is tone ear training. You eventually figure out how the parameters actually affect your tone.

Back
Top Bottom