Axe Fx Ultra Midi Problemo's

MeisterPengu

Hey guys, I've been having issues with my axe fx ultra's midi connection for about a year now... Decided to ask the community for some help <3

My problem is that the ultra is not being recognized through axe edit anymore. About a year ago the midi connection was working perfectly fine with a midisport 2x2 anniversary unit, until I changed from a 32bit vista operating system to a 64bit vista operating system (not sure if that has anything to do with it?..), around the time of this swap the ultra was no longer responding to axe edit.

I am now using a windows 7 64bit operating system, with the 0.9.185 axe edit, and the ultra has the 10.01 firmware.
A week ago I bought an M-audio mtrack for the ultra, hoping it would solve the midi crisis... But the Ultra is still not being recognized by the axe edit :mad: So now I'm seriously stuck with what to do guys...
Systex id in the ultra is the same in axe edit, the cables are in the right way, drivers are installed..
If I've missed out anything let me know :)

For anyone using the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 with Win 7 64bit and the official M-Audio driver, note that based on my experience, you may find that the first compatible USB port you first connect it to after installing the official driver may be the only USB port that the driver will fully "talk" to, although this could of course be interaction with my PC motherboard/drivers. If you connect it to a different compatible USB port afterwards then Windows will state that the device is connected and working but it may NOT appear as an available device in AxeEdit etc. Connect it back to the "original first connected" USB port and it works fully again.

I'm guessing here but isn't the older version of Axe edit (not sure of the build number) setup to work in a 32bit system? I don't know if this would cause a issue of non connection but like I said I'm guessing here.

I'ts not 32 vs 64 bit.. it's the M-Audio drivers.. their Win7 x64 drivers DO NOT WORK WELL with the Std/Ultra. I had nothing but issues.
I recommend that you completely remove them from your WIn7 PC, then Reboot with MIDI/USB cables disconnected.

Once started, confirm the M-Audio drivers are gone, then connect the Ultra and Win7 should install it's generic Microsoft MIDI drivers...
I have been using them with both the UNO and the 2x2 for a long time, and they work great... I did a lengthy detailed post a couple of yrs ago ( may even be on the old wiki) on how to do this...

You may also want to upgrade AE to v0.9.191 and fw to 11. Supports the sysexID and is the newest "old" AxeEdit/fw combo.. you can find both in the sofware link in my sig.

I use the latest M-audio win7 64 bit drivers with my Midisport 2x2 Anniversary edition and my Axe-Fx Standard with no problems, other than being fixed to using the same USB port that I originally installed the Midisport 2x2 Anniversary with. It will connect and work ok when using the generic Microsoft MIDI drivers for simple patch editing etc (and from any USB port I connected it to, unlike with the official M-audio drivers), but large file transfers such as perfroming a firmware update etc potentially may not work with the Microsoft generic driver.

As previously mentioned.. no issues with the MD Generic drivers... you can always go back to the M-Audio if they don't solve your issue.
And.. FWIW - AFAIk - there is no AE 1.0.191.. if it's the 191 build .. it's 0.9.191.

Merry Xmas..

Hmmm...well according to Fractal Audio website the Axe Edit version i have installed is described as " Axe-Edit 1.0 for Windows v1.0.191" on the legacy Axe Edit software download page :-

Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Edit Legacy Versions Archive

it also states in my installed verison of Axe-Edit itself via menu "Help->About" that the software is "1.0.191". I seem to remember that the 0.9.xxx software versions were beta as seems to be indicated by an early Fractal Audio quickstart guide "Axe-Edit_Beta_User_Guide_v0.9.99.pdf".

Of course I could be mistaken as to what Fractal Audio and others refer to as the actual software version, but I am only quoting exactly what both the website and my actual software state....!!!

And Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all... :)

Back
Top Bottom