Axe-fx ultra malfunctioning - all patches become clean sound

Inspired
Ive got quite an irritating problem... (Axe-fx Ultra running firmware 6.04)

My axe fx has during the course of 3 months since ive had it on about 8 occasions reset to a vanilla kind of clean sound.... i think its when i press a button or randomly while im playing but all my patches become a clean sound.... i havent been able to recreate the problem .i.e it not a specific thing that does it.

Going into utility and resetting system parameters puts everything back to normal.... until it happens again. This could be disastrous in a gig.

I initially thought that a firmware upgrade might fix it so i didnt send the unit back (also wouldve been a hassle since im in Australia) but after 3 or 4 firmware upates it still happens.

Anyone else experience this? help?

thanks

gittarzann said:
Are you randomly pushing the bypass button ?

That is what it sounds like.
It could be that a certain combination of pressing buttons at the same time 'forces' the Axe to go into bypass mode. Weird bug indeed.

Then again, during a gig I wouldn't randomly presss buttons anyway ;)

That is possible.... I forgot to mention all patches still display their normal amp names and none of the blocks themselves show that its bypassed....

I also forgot to mention that this has happened to me in a band practise while not touching the axe-fx.....just while i was changing patches via midi.

Every single patch sounds exactly the same.... like an "everything bypassed" clean

Is fractal audio supposed to give me some kind of response here? or is this just for users to try and help me?

Cron said:
I also forgot to mention that this has happened to me in a band practise while not touching the axe-fx.....just while i was changing patches via midi.
i believe you've got a global bypass issue. When this happens, try pressing the "Bypass" button (the one on the right, not the "Eff. Byp. one) and see if the preset returns to its normal state. If it does, store it. I once had an issue with global bypass selecting itself, and this completely cured it.

I think the CPU is hanging. In the event of a CPU hang the logic FPGA simply transfers the input data to the output. I recommend sending the unit in for service.

FractalAudio said:
I think the CPU is hanging. In the event of a CPU hang the logic FPGA simply transfers the input data to the output. I recommend sending the unit in for service.

Im in australia. Sending the unit in for a service will probably mean > 3 weeks without my axe-fx and alot of money to pay for shipping back and forth. That would really make me unhappy.

Im going to check things out and if it keeps happening and Jay's solution doesnt help, I will send you an email.

Thanks

*cries*

FractalAudio said:

i think it happenned one time to me today (but as i was tweaking with the editor , i thought that was a editor bug ..)
i turned off the power and power on every thing was ok...
i did a gig tonight with no pb)

so what do i have to wait it happened again and then , send it ? or if it happened only one time it means that the CPU has a pb , so i should send it back right now ? or should i wait ?

(BTW i * suppose * it was that , strange noise, and then , all preset seeems to be clean )

is it a pb for the processor if all patch i do is 90% CPU ? so it is used at "full power" all the time ?

alors sometimes it freeze with the editor (i have read this is because of bad midi) and sometimes (not often) the axe reboot when i use editor....

thanks for the help.

Hi,Stef! My AXE-FX Standart was freezing randomly during rehearsal sessions.I tried few things and in the end I send the mother board to G66- they gave me this advice.
As long as yours is freezing only with the editor it might be something wrong with the MIDI.
Out of the topic I saw in HUGE RACKS forum that you switched from Suhr S1 to Tyler.Can you do a fast review to compare both.Thank's!!!

Cron said:
That is possible.... I forgot to mention all patches still display their normal amp names and none of the blocks themselves show that its bypassed....

Every single patch sounds exactly the same.... like an "everything bypassed" clean

Is fractal audio supposed to give me some kind of response here? or is this just for users to try and help me?

although Cliff keeps a watchful eye of these forums, If you want fractal help email support@fractalaudio.com. then you are sure to get attention.

stef herbuel said:
FractalAudio said:

i think it happenned one time to me today (but as i was tweaking with the editor , i thought that was a editor bug ..)
i turned off the power and power on every thing was ok...
i did a gig tonight with no pb)

so what do i have to wait it happened again and then , send it ? or if it happened only one time it means that the CPU has a pb , so i should send it back right now ? or should i wait ?

(BTW i * suppose * it was that , strange noise, and then , all preset seeems to be clean )

is it a pb for the processor if all patch i do is 90% CPU ? so it is used at "full power" all the time ?

alors sometimes it freeze with the editor (i have read this is because of bad midi) and sometimes (not often) the axe reboot when i use editor....

thanks for the help.
The freeze due to 'the editor' meaning really midi, has happened to me quite often. No strange noises though and no patches clean afterwards...

it happends two time again for me...
but always with the editor (i played live 6 gigs last week with no pb)
the 2 times it happends i tried to see what appened in the axe-fx : all button seems to work (nothing freeze) if i change patch direct in the axe, nothing happened , only clean direct sound without effect, when i try to put effets or change amp (direct in axe fx too), same thing, tried to touch bypass button, without effect.
when i change patch the CPU indicator continue to change depending the patch and still quick change between 2 or 3 value for exemple 67/68%
everything like if all was ok.

but like i said it NEVER happended to me live.

cliff if you think it's a pb for my gear and i maybe should send the unit back, please tell me now because this summers i'm going to play about 70 gigs in 3 month, if it happends at that time that i have to send back the axe fx it would be a big pb for me.
i've e mail the fractal support one time they told me everything was ok, but i prefer tell here that it happened again direct to cliff to see what he think about this..
thanks
stef

It's a firmware crash caused by a buffer overrun caused by data overflow from the editor. Slow down your MIDI transfer rate.

FractalAudio said:
It's a firmware crash caused by a buffer overrun caused by data overflow from the editor. Slow down your MIDI transfer rate.

ouch thanks for your quick answer cliff !
happy to see my axe-fx is safe !
thanks again for your great work

FractalAudio said:
Slow down your MIDI transfer rate.

can someone can tell me how i can do that ? :shock: i have a midisport 2X2

PS : btw i e-mail the fractal-support too i didn't saw your answer cliff sorry

Back
Top Bottom