1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Axe fx Ultra in 2017

Discussion in 'Ultra/Std Discussion' started by frostkald, Apr 8, 2017.

1. LuizPauloDT

LuizPauloDT
    Expand Collapse
    New here

wow!
    I used this technique yesterday with some of my preamps (TriAxis, ENGL E580) and I'm mind blown!
    Great tips!
    This should be on the Axe FX Wiki page or in another topic with a more appropriate title so people could find it! :)

j8stringer likes this.
  2. Steve Turner

Steve Turner
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I would avoid the Ultra simply due to the lack of USB MIDI.

The midi function of the Ultra causes a lot of headaches and is the reason why this weekend I can not proceed with a project I need to complete.

I started another thread about that so wont go into it here but yeah. Avoid. Other than that the Ultra sounds fantastic.

3. virgil

virgil
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Happy user of Axe Ultra here..10 years already..never unsatisfied ! still using in concerts !

4. TheHumanStephen

TheHumanStephen
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I bought my Ultra "late to the game" and I love it regardless. It's leaps better than just using plugins or amps (if you don't have unlimited access to great studio collections).

5. #25 j8stringer, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    j8stringer

j8stringer
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I just stopped by and found this post. I am still very happy using my Ultra in the studio and for live gigs. There is just so much I can do with it, for all styles of music ( I have only gotten deep into about 30% of the amps and fxs, so I still have much to experiment with). I have had it since 09. I use it as a wet/dry/wet rig...any my set up continues to evolve. I had been using a tube pre to warm up the signal going in (UA 610 solo). My #2 output is my dry, now going to a Fryette Power Station and #1 oputput is my wet going to 2 FRFR speakers. Something new I tried this week: I removed the UA610 because I was getting some digital distortion on the FX side, and only in some frequency spots...so while I work that out I hooked up a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box ( with 1 NOS RCA 12ax7 ). This is for warmth and feel...no added gain. BUT, then I thought of putting a boost pedal before the Sarno to push the tube a bit. This combination was magic! I tried a Lovepedal Lil China and an RGW Bad Bob. The Lovepedal ( with the gain almost off ) fattens the notes and reacts with you guitars volume to go from clean to grit. The Bad Bob give touch sensitivity with pick compression and clean note articulation. Both to be on all the time affairs. Just to be clear...its one boost plugged in at a time. My rig is in a 4U space rolling Gator rack case. The pres/Sarno/&boost sit on top with a Roland Sonic Cell interface. Just vary the pedals gain knob a bit. You may have to adjust the AF input knob a bit to keep off the red. This acts like a Pre-Gain knob on a Carol-Ann. BTW, I have a Two Rock, Carol-Ann, Bruno and Alessandro that dont see much action because of how good my Ultra set-up sounds...and at reasonable volumes! Give it a try....experiment.

JOHNNYROCKIT, zenaxe and Rex like this.
  6. mwd

mwd
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I've never had MIDI issues with the Ultra. Rock solid in my applications. If you have to have USB protocol it's available at a reasonable price.

Rex likes this.
  7. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

+1. The Utra's MIDI function works great. Super-cheap USB-to-MIDI interfaces...not so much.

8. zenaxe

zenaxe
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

+1. I have never had an issue with my Ultra's MIDI ports and USB interfaces (I have used three different ones with zero issues). I have also used a MIDI floorboard with no problem whatsoever. Rock solid.

HailHalford likes this.
  9. steve kennedy

steve kennedy
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I just bought an AXE FX ULTRA and really can't believe how good it is, I paid 690.00 total for mine, It absolutely smokes the ROCKTRON PROPHESY. I am using a MESA 2:90 power amp, make sure to turn the SAG counter clockwise all the way, that way you are using the dynamics of the tube power amp. Steve

10. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Welcome to the club, @steve kennedy ! And I agree. Compared to the Prophesy, there is no comparison. :)

steve kennedy likes this.