Axe Fx ultra encoder replacment

jd267

Guys picked up a used axe ultra today with out trying it first like a dumb ass. The guy was a old 80's rocker dude and we talked for like an hour about bands and gear etc. Also got it for a crazy good deal. BUT the encoder does not change anything when turning clockwise. I took it apart thinking it was a pot that needed to be cleaned,took the board out and seen it was a weird encoder type component . The good news fractal is about 1.5 hours away . I called them and he said I need to talk to the tech tomorrow. If they sell me the part I can fix it my self . I build fx pedals and fix amps on the side also and have the correct tools for the job, but if they can fix it cheep and update it since I don't have a way to hook it up to my PC as of now ill just let them do it and take a ride down there. My question is have you guys had your encoder fixed by them and what did it cost? Also is there a better component to use that don't crap out? Seems its a on going problem with the axe units ,axe 2 also. Let me no guys. I'm a tube amp guy and never owned a FX unit like this and im gassed to make some metal tones on it. Maybe they can show me how to use it lol

I too have an Ultra, with a decoder that is failin and I would LOVE to take it there, asking questions and getting it fixed.
They informed me of a basic charge & shipping cost back to me. Good luck. Oh, and I always use Aex Edit to save on knob turns.

I seen that already but thanks. Hope they will sell me the part or ill just take a ride up there tomorrow

Ordered the new encoder from fractal . Will be here tomorrow removed the old one today from the board.

Took the unit apart and removed bad encoder . Snipped the mount off with small snipers ,then rocked the encoder till the three prongs snapped off, then heated up the old solder and sucked it out of all the holes. MINT. Probably the smartest way to do it . Did not want to heat things up to much on the pcb and traces .

Back
Top Bottom