Axe-FX Ultra Arrival!!!

Erocku

So, I got my axe-fx in right before band practice yesterday. I only had about 15 minutes to hook it up and go through and find a quick dirty and clean patch to use for practice. I hooked the Axe-FX into my PA with two EV Force i15's. I plugged up my rocktron midi mate which worked right away. I selected the pvh 5105 preset (#36), which I found very similar in sound to my 6505+ that our other guitarist uses. It of course was missing some of that in-room amp feel... My bass player kept talking about it missing the low end/balls which I find funny because his instrument is supposed to be the low end/balls. I kept having to try to explain to him how this simulates an already mic'd up cab, yadda, yadda, yadda. He just looked at me confused and kept complaining. I used the #38 preset for my cleans. The cleans already triumphed anything I could dial with my Mesa Mark III or 6505+.

I have a QSC K12 which should be here monday. I thought about going with the Verve 12ma, but I figured I'd give the QSC a shot first since I got it for $200 less than I could get a Verve 12ma and it seems to have more features.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have any time until Monday to sit down with the Axe and my KRK RP6's to start fiddling around with tones. I kind of dread going through all of the different impulses I have available though. I've been using some of the Catharsis impulses with LePou's LE456 while doing pre-production with my band right now. I'll be checking out some of the ownhammer and redwirez stuff here soon too as I have heard great things about them on this forum.
Do you have any cab recommendations I should try out first for both clean and dirty stuff? Here's some samples from my band to give you an idea of what kind of sound I'm going for:

---> Click here for a heavier song
---> Click here for a lighter song

Last edited:
What kind of music do you play? I could help a lot more with impulses if you give me some direction :)

5150... Metal I assume? Skip Redwirez and go straight to Ownhammer.

I have almost the entire Redwirez Big Box collection and I haven't found a use for any of them. Thin and honky are the first words that come to mind. I understand the company puts a lot of work into these, offers great service, and some people love them to death but I just don't get a long with them. I like several of the stock cab sims FAR better than my favorite Redwirez impulses.

Ownhammer is cheaper, easier to choose from, and IMO sound better for aggressive music.

There are countless free IR's out there that may work for you too, including Catharsis which you obviously already like. Try them and the stock cabs out before spending money!

What kind of music do you play? I could help a lot more with impulses if you give me some direction :)

There's some links to my music at the bottom of my post. I'm using a 7 string, and we play some heavier stuff (no crazy breakdowns or djenty stuff though), then we also can get into a little bit lighter, more radio friendly sound. I'll definitely try the free stuff I've acquired before buying anything though, and will make note of your advice about ownhammer over redwirez.

I have all the free ones already converted to Axe-Fx format if you want them :)

I too am a versatile 7-string player. Lounge, to blues, to death metal and everything in between!

I'm on my phone so I'll listen to your tunes in the morning!

Frosty, I would be interested in checking out your collection of converted ir's if you don't mind. I just ordered the Ultra, don't know how long it will take to arrive.

Thank you!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom