Axe FX too overkill for bedroom only playing?

Axe FX is expensive, even used Axe FX 2s for around $1000, then you would need something to amplify which adds to the cost.

I have 1k guitars and upper intermediate level. My biggest concern is to be able to play at low volumes with good tone.

Now, my cheap Peavey Vypyr blew up after 10 years of use. I'm using Sennheiser headphones and a couple of Neural DSP presets. That's good for headphones and recording, but I miss the amplification and I don't want to be stuck playing in my computer

I'm considering the Katana 100 which has the 0.5w option, but I always liked Fractal modelling. What would be a good and affordable setup that would work with low volumes? You can get the Katana for $350 and may be all most bedroom people need probably

but there is always that desire to have the best possible gear

Fractal FM3 or Axe FX 2 with an FRFR speaker maybe? I read those FRFR can be loud
Anyone you live with will not say it's overkill after a couple of days in the house. Just make sure to have plenty of fun with your amps the week before it shows up.

the question is, what would be a good amplification device that would work well in low volumes?

I need something that can sound decent at low volumes, this is why I'm considering a Katana, based on what I read, most FRFRs are very loud

I bought the Spark and THR before and both sounded thin, weak, anemic, of course, cause the small speaker and cabinet

I returned both lol
Katana 1st generation for 200 shipped if interested. Nothing sounds better than axe iii at low volumes. I've had any tube amp and a few ss options. Low volume in my opinion is when the guitar strings are as loud as the amplified source. At that volume, not to be snarky, anything is a waste of money, meaning there is no point in chasing a sound that's really non existent. I understand the need for low volume, the katana has the built in speaker, it doesn't get any easier for lower volumes. Some use attenuation with 20 watt amps. Mind-boggling to me, the advantage of a 20 watt amp.is being able to get a certain tone by pushing the volume almost maxed and that is because it's a 20 watt amp. And usually will cut plenty in a band setting when cranked, and as mentioned it's for a specific tone that you get. So the whole attenuation is over rated in that sense. A 100 watt amp, differ story and I totally get it. The axe 3 sounds good at low volumes, if the amp is louder than the acoustic sound of an electric guitar/strings. I would get the fractal fm3 or ax3 if your going to be playing at different volumes as well as.low volumes, pending how low, it's the best piece of kit available. Cheers and Happy Hunting!!!!

The problem with Axe FX/presets and studio monitors is that you’re bound to your pc/laptop. This is ok if all you doing is playing alone, but is inconvenient if you have guests who want to hear you play for example.

You can’t take it anywhere. Can studio monitors work without having to turn on a computer?

I’m looking for amplification for the axe fx that produce low volumes. And that’s the problem. Most of these FRFR speaker are stupid loud.

That’s why I said if you have Katana mk2 which comes power amp in, you can connect an axe fx, kemper, helix and bypass the whole Katana effects/coloring and only the volume and wattage selector would be available

This would allow you to amplify an Axe Fx through Katana and play at the 0.5 watt built attenuator the Katana has.

Since the power amp in option has bypass it will not color the tone and the katana would act as an FRFR amp but better since is a guitar made cabinet and it would have the 0.5 watt attenuator

If you can afford it, get what you want. If you are on somewhat of a budget, get an FM3. I had an Axe Fx II for almost a decade, had to sell it, and recently got an FM3. Absolutely love it. It does everything I need, and didn't cost $2500.

The problem with Axe FX/presets and studio monitors is that you’re bound to your pc/laptop. This is ok if all you doing is playing alone, but is inconvenient if you have guests who want to hear you play for example.

You can’t take it anywhere. Can studio monitors work without having to turn on a computer?

Not sure where you are getting this information. If you buy powered Studio monitors, you don't need a computer at all. My FM3 is plugged directly into my studio monitors via XLRs.

Speakers are only loud if you turn them up. That’s part of why there are so many different places where you can change the overall volume.

If a 5150 can be TV volume your axe can be tv volume. It’s that easy.

Everything sounds better louder, to a point. That is how humans are wired.

Not sure where you are getting this information. If you buy powered Studio monitors, you don't need a computer at all. My FM3 is plugged directly into my studio monitors via XLRs.

Even so wouldnt the studio monitor be on or around the computer anyway? In a way youre still bound to you pc even tho it doesn’t need to be turned on.

There is the option to plug in an axe fx to the power amp in of the katana and get a more amp in the room feel. Youd have a more portable setup.

Good powered studio monitor are probably expensive. What are the recommendations? I guess is money is no issue you have it all the studio monitors, the separate cabinet or katana and axe fx etc.

The advantage of running axe fx through Katana, Line 6 catalyst etc is that you bypass the effects and take advantage of the builtin 0.5w attenuator. This is not possible in most FRFR speakers or powercabs.

Similarly, an axe fx through a Katana will give you more of the amp in the room feel compared to studio monitor which they may be powered, they don’t have the speaker cabinet of a katana

Bedroom player that started with a Headrush pedal board with a big sky in the loop, nothing about the headrush impressed me nothing. I bought an fm3 just for the fact it had a smaller footprint and fit better in my limited space. I NEVER EVER thought the FM3 would sound this GREAT!!!! The more you learn about it the more you get out of it. I sold my Big Sky no need for it, now I'm kicking myself for not holding out for the axe/fx.

Even so wouldnt the studio monitor be on or around the computer anyway? In a way youre still bound to you pc even tho it doesn’t need to be turned on.

There is the option to plug in an axe fx to the power amp in of the katana and get a more amp in the room feel. Youd have a more portable setup.

Good powered studio monitor are probably expensive. What are the recommendations? I guess is money is no issue you have it all the studio monitors, the separate cabinet or katana and axe fx etc.

The advantage of running axe fx through Katana, Line 6 catalyst etc is that you bypass the effects and take advantage of the builtin 0.5w attenuator. This is not possible in most FRFR speakers or powercabs.

Similarly, an axe fx through a Katana will give you more of the amp in the room feel compared to studio monitor which they may be powered, they don’t have the speaker cabinet of a katana
Your studio monitors don't have to be anywhere near your computer. Mine are because I use them to mix and listen to music, but they don't have to be. I also like to control the FM3 vie the Edit program, so I have my PC there, as well.

My studio monitors were $300 for the pair when I bought them 15 years ago. They are inexpensive but sound much better to me than ones that were three of four times that price. I use the M-Audio BX5A monitors. To me, they sound glorious.

Sounds like you are already decided on the Katana or Catalyst, already. Which is great. Whatever works for you. I'm just trying to relieve any misconceptions you seem to have.

Here's my rig for you to see:

Its a good option, but considering the Katana/Catalyst are so cheap why not have both options?

Is there any FRFR or powercab out there that has a built in 0.5w attenuator like the Katana and Catalyst? Ive been looking and can’t seem find one.

Eventually, I will buy monitors as I only use a cheap soundbar. Would the monitor work seamlessly with computer and Axe Fx sound? I never had studio monitors.

The way I see a Katana is not completely useless it could be used as a powercab down the line if I decide to buy an Axe FX.

The beauty of these amps is the built attenuators and power amp in for modelers.

Cheapest way for me at the moment is to buy studio monitors and use with my neural DSP plugins. Id be bound to my computer but would work until i can afford an fm3 or axe fx

Its a good option, but considering the Katana/Catalyst are so cheap why not have both options?

Is there any FRFR or powercab out there that has a built in 0.5w attenuator like the Katana and Catalyst? Ive been looking and can’t seem find one.

Eventually, I will buy monitors as I only use a cheap soundbar. Would the monitor work seamlessly with computer and Axe Fx sound? I never had studio monitors.

The way I see a Katana is not completely useless it could be used as a powercab down the line if I decide to buy an Axe FX.

The beauty of these amps is the built attenuators and power amp in for modelers.

Cheapest way for me at the moment is to buy studio monitors and use with my neural DSP plugins. Id be bound to my computer but would work until i can afford an fm3 or axe fx

FRFR speakers or studio monitors don't need attenuators.

Each of my studio monitors has two inputs. One XLR and one TRS. The XLR input comes from the FM3 and the TRS comes from my PC. This way I can use just the PC alone, just the FM3 for sound alone, or both at the same time.

I'm considering the Katana 100 which has the 0.5w option, but I always liked Fractal modelling. What would be a good and affordable setup that would work with low volumes? You can get the Katana for $350 and may be all most bedroom people need probably
I can’t recommend using any guitar amp like that, because there’s a big difference in intended use and the design of an inexpensive digital amp, and an active studio monitor or a true FRFR or high-end stage monitor.

Amps like the Katana, are designed to work with just their speaker. The maker can fine tune the sound of the amp to fit and counter flaws in its speaker’s sound, and for $350 odds are good the speaker is just so-so. We adjust our presets to fit into that sound. Switching to a different speaker, cabinet or power amp will change how the preset sounds.

Adjusting the sound of a preset to what we like when listening at low volume only compounds the problem once you get the system attached to a rig running at real volume, whether the rig is a solid state amp and good speakers, an FRFR rig, FOH, or a recording console. Once the volume rises our internal listening curve will change. The Wiki’s Connections and levels page is chock full of useful information about this.

I recommend spending the $350 on good headphones if you need a quiet space, then learn to flatten their curve. Turn them up to a comfortably loud volume, and adjustments you make will have a better chance of passing your scrutiny once you run them into something bigger and louder.

An alternative is to periodically schedule a “loud day” and wait until then to adjust the sound, then adjust the frequency response of whatever you normally listen through to compensate for the reduced everyday volume, just remember to flatten that component’s EQ when you turn it up. The sound you get is directly tied to every component in the amplification chain, and one bad piece can ruin what you hear. “It’s complicated.”

You asked for ideas for "bedroom only playing"
I have an AXE III an FM3 and a Katana.
The best sound at low volume for bedroom playing would be a Fractal unit thru stereo speakers.
If you like to jam along with backing tracks, integrate your PC into this system and even get some DAW software.
You get all the spacial fx in stereo, which will blow your mind...you wont get that from a Katana.
You keep mentioning the .05 watt setting.
You can play at a whisper quiet volume with stereo speakers and it will sound better.
I do it every day in my studio room...I also gig with a CLR and play really loud at times...my Fractals sounds great either way.

FRFR speakers or studio monitors don't need attenuators.

Each of my studio monitors has two inputs. One XLR and one TRS. The XLR input comes from the FM3 and the TRS comes from my PC. This way I can use just the PC alone, just the FM3 for sound alone, or both at the same time.
But they don’t give you the same amp in the room feel. That’s why many people buy powercabs I guess cause they want a more amp in the room experience

The question is, can I get powercab to play at low volumes where it will sound ok

You asked for ideas for "bedroom only playing"
I have an AXE III an FM3 and a Katana.
The best sound at low volume for bedroom playing would be a Fractal unit thru stereo speakers.
If you like to jam along with backing tracks, integrate your PC into this system and even get some DAW software.
You get all the spacial fx in stereo, which will blow your mind...you wont get that from a Katana.
You keep mentioning the .05 watt setting.
You can play at a whisper quiet volume with stereo speakers and it will sound better.
I do it every day in my studio room...I also gig with a CLR and play really loud at times...my Fractals sounds great either way.

Sometimes I play with my headphones as if they were speakers, probably not good for headphones cause you have to up the volune but they are open headphones.

I guess I just want something I could play with without having to turn the computer on. So I would need an FM3 and powered studio monitors. That may be around $1300-1500+ total. What would be some good powered monitors for the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom