Axe FX too overkill for bedroom only playing?

I use the FX3 at home through Blue Mix-Fi (formerly Mo-Fi) headphones or Adam A7X studio monitors. I wouldn't change a thing. I have an Atomic CLR Neo MkII, but I don't use it unless I feel like getting loud. Good studio monitors are usually more than adequate. Personally, I'm glad I didn't compromise on the modeller and went straight to the top of the mountain.

Axe FX is expensive, even used Axe FX 2s for around $1000, then you would need something to amplify which adds to the cost.

I have 1k guitars and upper intermediate level. My biggest concern is to be able to play at low volumes with good tone.

Now, my cheap Peavey Vypyr blew up after 10 years of use. I'm using Sennheiser headphones and a couple of Neural DSP presets. That's good for headphones and recording, but I miss the amplification and I don't want to be stuck playing in my computer

I'm considering the Katana 100 which has the 0.5w option, but I always liked Fractal modelling. What would be a good and affordable setup that would work with low volumes? You can get the Katana for $350 and may be all most bedroom people need probably

but there is always that desire to have the best possible gear

Fractal FM3 or Axe FX 2 with an FRFR speaker maybe? I read those FRFR can be loud
Absolutely not. It's great! I was a professional guitarist for over 40 years and then had to retire do to medical issues. I bought an axefx III after I retired andI love playing though it in my house with headphones. I can play anytime day or night and get wonderful tones. The applications you can use it for are endless. Besides what I just mentioned, you can also use it as a USB interface into your DAW or into a PA or powered monitors. I also use it as an effects processor for my 'real' amps. I rarely use my pedalboards anymore.

My Yamaha DXR10's are extremely loud-but thats ONLY when I want them to be. I use my FM3 and FM9at low volumes all the time. I also have a Katana MK50II. I only bought it to run my FM3 thru when needed for whatever reason. Volume is how loud you turn up the knobs. Fractal stuff sounds fine at low volumes.

And of course headphones when it's real late!

To answer your question in your subject line: I hope not b/c that’s how I use it. I don’t recommend the following b/c I did it without enough homework, but I have studio monitors for lower volume and a RedSound Eli’s.8 for times I can turn it up. My monitors are inexpensive jbl’s. I tweak for tone to the elis.8 at the higher volumes. Not ac30 break-glass levels but at least 80-85 db. If really only for bedroom I’d go with better monitors than I got but don’t outspend the acoustics and layout of room you have them set up in.

I have both the Adam a7x and the head rush 12”. Both are nice. The Adam is the way I’d go in an apartment. And then rockwool room treatment panels.
the question is, what would be a good amplification device that would work well in low volumes?

I need something that can sound decent at low volumes, this is why I'm considering a Katana, based on what I read, most FRFRs are very loud

I bought the Spark and THR before and both sounded thin, weak, anemic, of course, cause the small speaker and cabinet

I returned both lol

I went through a shitload of modellers for low volume basement hacker playing and Axefx is the only one I've ever stuck with - sounds great - kills the gas. I have studio monitors, a pair of FR Cabs powered by Matrix Power Amp, and Real Cabs powered by 2 of these little guys which I quite like with real cabs, but I'm switching one out for this little guy (on order - will use power amp portion only) to see if it adds anything special to my current formula for inexpensive low volume real cab amplification. If it's good, I'll get a 2nd one and dump the other ehx, or return it and try Orange Pedal Babys on for size (but then I'm into not so inexpensive). The Matrix is great for FR but I find it just sounds a tad sterile with real cabs. Never tried Katana - considered the Katana head at one point but I like everything stereo so X2. Nothing beats my Yamaha HS8s - could probably dump the rest, but I've wanted to do full gear exploration during my long periods of procrastination from guitar playing skills improvement.

Last edited:
I've got an axe-fx3 mark 1 running through a Headrush 112 frfr. Personally, I think it sounds great. Sounds leaps and bounds better than any modeling amp I've ever played through ( line6, Katana, etc.) It gets you all the "tone" you could ever want. I know the headrush isn't everyone's favorite, but at 2000 watts for $359 it's hard to beat for bedroom playing. Plus, it sounds SO GOOD at low volume. Actually thinking about getting another one for stereo sound. Anybody else try this? Make that much of a difference? Anyway, if you have the money, you CANNOT go wrong with a fractal product.

I have an FM3 and an FC12. I will certainly purchase an FXIII Turbo, in time. Even though, I will very likely only ever use it at home. If, great wide-ranging tones and playing guitar is a reliable source of joy for you. Then, the cost of an FXIII makes complete sense. The fewer limits the better..

Last edited:
I'm a home player only and I'm running my axe III into a matrix power amp and mesa 4x12. I do get to crank it but I prefer to play at low volumes and it sounds great.

Bedroom player here. I had a Katana and was never really happy with it. Headphones out is in mono and you can't load IR's, so it is what it is.

I got my FM3 last year and it is the best piece of gear I've ever purchased. Sounds incredible through headphones. I tried it through the effects return of the Katana but the speaker and cab just didn't have that oomph and sounded boxy. I picked up a cheap Yamaha DG100 2x12 with V30's and play my FM3 through it...sounds incredible. I also picked up a cheap Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 120W/channel which sounds awesome. I guess having the 2x12 cab really does help :)

The Katana has been sold and long forgotten. It's great value, but doesn't even close to the FM3 in terms of sound and flexibility. I've had so much fun paying with the FM3 the last year. It's just so easy to dial in the a tone that sounds good without too much effort.

I just added an FC12 so I don't have to use the PC to change things up - what a nicely integrated piece of gear.

I've got a katana 100 mk2 that was collecting dust...it's in my 7 year olds room now along with a purple Ibanez Mikro. She loves it!

It is only overkill if you believe it to be so! I never had a modeler, never had a amp more than 25 watts and have never played out more than a few songs at open mic nights (though that is about to change)! I got my Axe FXIII in Dec '21 and it is the best piece of musical gear I have ever purchased by far!! As for low volume, you need to understand, as others have said here, there are different dynamics in the room, your head and the speakers/amps at different volume levels. Point of that is, don't think you are going to feel like a head bangin' rocker when you can't produce sound levels about 80db or less!!!

I am using JBL IRX108 PA speakers, and they sound OK. When on headphones, I have AKG 712 Pro and Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Mhz. I use the AKG's almost exclusively not for the tone (I like the tone on both) but for the comfort on my head! I also have some Westone UM50 Pro IEM's that I really like, but generally prefer to have the cans on the head rather than the items stuffed into my ear canals (I got the IEM's for live performances and they will work great).

So go ahead and do it, you can't beat the sound regardless of what you play it through or where you play it!

Back
Top Bottom