Axe-Fx Tone Imprinting. Guitar Profiler Tone-Match Cloner (Guitar Vault, Season III) ~ SIM1 XT-1

The Sim1 is fantastic. In terms of useability, it is frustrating. No USB data connection for editing, slow boot-up. The whole experience makes me cringe, but it sounds BRILLIANT. It is better than a Variax (I have a JTV and 300) but the Sim1 is in a different league IMO. The models sound (and feel) great. I use a 10-band EQ pedal after mine, just to tailor things further going into certain amp models, but the Sim1 blew me away when I first used it.
Fractal allowed me to have all of my amps and pedals and then some on stage. SIM1 allows me to have all of my different guitars and then some on stage. Once you use it enough, it’s not frustrating. The results are excellent.

Hi Piing. I know I'm late to the game, but as you know (from VGuitarForum) I also owned a GP-10, VG-99 and now SY-1000, so I would be keen to try your ToneMatching approach as I've never really used this feature in the Axe too much (beyond using it for acoustic guitar IRs...).

But when I tried to download your profiles from the OP the link no longer seems to work?

Are the files now hosted elsewhere?

Thx!
J

Insert the TMA block at the begininng of your FX chain, after the input block. Also insert a In USB block (as in the picture above)

The TMA block has two switches: Start Reference and Start Local

Start Reference is used for capturing the tonematched guitar by playing the wav file from the DAW (use the Axe-FX "In U Block L" as Output device)
Start Local is used for capturing your guitar (source guitar) either by directly playing the chromatic scale as described above or, more conveniently, from a DAW recording of your guitar.

Once finished capturing, press the Match button and adjust the Smoothing. Also adjust the Averaging Time, as singtail has suggested

When you save the preset, the tonematch will be saved with it. You can save the TMA block to use at other presets or export it as IR

Keep in mind that the preset or the exported IR will only bring good results with the guitar that you have used as Local for tonemaching. If you want to use it with other guitar or if you want to share it, the TM process has to be repeated with the new source guitar

Have a look to the Axe-FX Tone Matching Mini Manual and the TMA section of the user manual for more details. There are some tutorials at YouTube from Leon and Cooper Carter
Hey mate, starting to sample all of my guitars using the chromatic format you outlined and so far so good.
(For reference I'm FW 16.02 and AxeEdit 1.08.14)
I do however have an issue I can't work out and it's driving me nuts! I've set up the TMA block as per your screenshot and added a USB Input block. Now if I go to the Capture tab of the TMA block, turn on the Start Reference button and start playback of a recorded guitar from Logic Pro I can see the frequency spectrum taking shape on the Reference window, so that part's working as expected.
For the Local side I can get it to work playing live guitar straight in, what I can't get happening is Local capture playing a track from Logic. What am I missing here??

Any help greatly appreciated.

TMA 2.png

TMA 1.png

I had a Sim-1 XT-1. Was one if the first in the US to own one. Marco Fanton was in a lot of videos at the time promoting it. It’s an amazing device and very glad to see you can replicate in the Axe!!

Hey mate, starting to sample all of my guitars using the chromatic format you outlined and so far so good.
(For reference I'm FW 16.02 and AxeEdit 1.08.14)
I do however have an issue I can't work out and it's driving me nuts! I've set up the TMA block as per your screenshot and added a USB Input block. Now if I go to the Capture tab of the TMA block, turn on the Start Reference button and start playback of a recorded guitar from Logic Pro I can see the frequency spectrum taking shape on the Reference window, so that part's working as expected.
For the Local side I can get it to work playing live guitar straight in, what I can't get happening is Local capture playing a track from Logic. What am I missing here??

Any help greatly appreciated.

View attachment 84357

View attachment 84356
You can only select the TMA Input block as Local Channel. If you want to capture a source from your DAW you should do it at the Reference Source, and use your guitar at the Local Channel

You can only select the TMA Input block as Local Channel. If you want to capture a source from your DAW you should do it at the Reference Source, and use your guitar at the Local Channel
Ok, I think the confusion comes from an earlier post by you in this thread:

"Start Reference is used for capturing the tonematched guitar by playing the wav file from the DAW (use the Axe-FX "In U Block L" as Output device)
Start Local is used for capturing your guitar (source guitar) either by directly playing the chromatic scale as described above or, more conveniently, from a DAW recording of your guitar."

The Sim1 is fantastic. In terms of useability, it is frustrating. No USB data connection for editing, slow boot-up. The whole experience makes me cringe, but it sounds BRILLIANT. It is better than a Variax (I have a JTV and 300) but the Sim1 is in a different league IMO. The models sound (and feel) great. I use a 10-band EQ pedal after mine, just to tailor things further going into certain amp models, but the Sim1 blew me away when I first used it.
I'm adding one to my new FM9 pedalboard setup.. If I can have all of the Amp & FX tones under my foot, then why not have all of my fav axes
there as well.. #Movingforward #thefuture..

I can replicate it in the Axe
Tone Matching the chromatic scale merely averages the frequency spectrum over time. It doesn't capture the spectrum for individual strings, which would be a prerequisite to replicating the SIM1. That said, you can reproduce the sound of a particular note/chord as long as the same note/chord was played during the matching process, but deviating from it will alter the accuracy of the match.

Last edited:
Tone Matching the chromatic scale merely averages the frequency spectrum over time. It doesn't capture the spectrum for individual strings, which would be a prerequisite to replicating the SIM1. That said, you can reproduce the sound of a particular note/chord as long as the same note/chord was played during the matching process, but deviating from it will alter the accuracy of the match.
You keep mentioning "spectrum for individual strings"...where are you getting your info from? I quickly went through the website and I don't see this? How do you know it's any different than the Fractal tone matching? I'd just like to see documentation to back up your repeated statement of fact.

You keep mentioning "spectrum for individual strings"...where are you getting your info from? I quickly went through the website and I don't see this? How do you know it's any different than the Fractal tone matching? I'd just like to see documentation to back up your repeated statement of fact.
FAS's Tone Match feature is simply EQ matching, and while I don't know the methodology the SIM1 uses to produce its effect, it's undoubtedly not based on standard EQ matching, which merely averages the overall frequency spectrum of whatever is played. Given that you can accurately reproduce the sound of a particular note/chord as long as the same note/chord is played during the matching process, it stands to reason that if you could capture the frequency spectrum for the various pitches of each individual string, you could replicate the effect of the SIM1. If you watch the SIM1 tutorial videos, that's what appears to be happening, but whether the tech is using some form of EQ matching, I don't know. At the very least, however, it's empirically demonstrable that regular EQ matching will not reproduce that effect.

FAS's Tone Match feature is simply EQ matching, and while I don't know the methodology the SIM1 uses to produce its effect, it's undoubtedly not based on standard EQ matching, which merely averages the overall frequency spectrum of whatever is played. Given that you can accurately reproduce the sound of a particular note/chord as long as the same note/chord is played during the matching process, it stands to reason that if you could capture the frequency spectrum for the various pitches of each individual string, you could replicate the effect of the SIM1. But at the very least, it's empirically demonstrable that regular EQ matching will not reproduce that effect.
I'm sorry, but I'm still lost. Why is it "undoubtedly not based on standard EQ matching"? I hate to belabor a point, but your so adamant and I'm hoping to be educated.

I'm sorry, but I'm still lost. Why is it "undoubtedly not based on standard EQ matching"? I hate to belabor a point, but your so adamant and I'm hoping to be educated.
Again, standard EQ matching averages the entire spectrum over time. What would be the point of playing the chromatic scale for each individual string when Tone Matching? Nevertheless, I'm fairly adamant because I've experimented with it extensively and it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Again, standard EQ matching averages the entire spectrum over time. What would be the point of playing the chromatic scale for each individual string when Tone Matching? Nevertheless, I'm fairly adamant because I've experimented with it extensively and it doesn't work.

It is the same thing. The point of playing the chromatic scale (both at the X-1 and at the Axe-FX) is to have a representative range of the instrument's timbre across the notes.

It is the same thing. The point of playing the chromatic scale (both at the X-1 and at the Axe-FX) is to have a representative range of the instrument's timbre across the notes.
In my opinion, the difference is that the SIM1 takes the pitch and frequency content of each individual string into account, which is something EQ matching doesn't do. Again, EQ matching simply averages the frequency spectrum of whatever is played.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom