Axe-Fx Timeout!

Axe 335

Hi everyone!

Can't seem to connect correctly my MFC-101 original with my Axe II
It is getting power with the Cat5 but can't see the names of the presets.
Still, I have access to the parameters of the MFC-101

Everything works fine via midi with the power supply but not through Cat5 cable.

More recents firmwares for the Axe II and the MFC-101

Followed the instructions after firmware update through MIDI and brought back the settings of the Axe to
"USB ADapter Mode to off
Send Realtime sysex to All"

Brought back the setting of the MFC to Expansion after testing it for midi signal

Tried 4 differents Ethernet Cables.

Do I miss something?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Something is wrong with the connection between the MFC and the Axe FX. Could be the ethernet cable (I've used several and the best are the Best-Tronics cables). Also, it could be the jack on either the MFC or the Axe Fx. Are you going through any sort of rack panel or intermediate connector?

I had this EXACT same problem after my cable was ripped out due to a guy jumping on stage. I could usually solve it by making sure the cable was properly seated and then rebooting the axe fx. Once it goes into 'timeout' mode, no amount of fiddling will fix it without a reboot.

No rack panel or intermediate connector.
Always used the same Cat5 cable but I know that my 3 others worked fine with the Axe.
Nobody jumping around.
worked fine but one morning, it wasn't working anymore.

"Fractal Support" are saying that one possibility is that a bad Cat5 cable has damaged the circuitry of my Axe-Fx.

Seems that I'll have to use the 7 pin Midi Cable and the power supply from now on.

Maybe check the ethernet female sockets' pins on the MFC and Axe - one or two might be bent up too much?

I have a similar problem with mine; definitely not a setting problem for me, although it seems to fix it for most people.
I gave up and just use 7-pin midi and have an adaptor mounted in my rack panel.

FAS Support say it's an issue with my Axe Fx, but I can't be bothered sending it in for service as it's not convenient for me.
I find MIDI to be a more reliable connection than Ethernet, but one day I'll upgrade to gear that has FASLink, as XLR is the most robust of them all.

So I decided to go with the midi connexion since my Ethernet won't work.
I found a 20 years old Midi Cable and everything worked fine.

The next day, I tried 3 brand new midi cables and it didn't worked. Axe-fx timeout again.....

So I am back with my old midi cable and waiting for the 7 pin cable I ordered hoping that it will work

Has someone ever heard of a similar problem???

I have a similar problem with mine; definitely not a setting problem for me, although it seems to fix it for most people.
I gave up and just use 7-pin midi and have an adaptor mounted in my rack panel.

FAS Support say it's an issue with my Axe Fx, but I can't be bothered sending it in for service as it's not convenient for me.
I find MIDI to be a more reliable connection than Ethernet, but one day I'll upgrade to gear that has FASLink, as XLR is the most robust of them all.

I have been having this problem until my MFC is faulty. I gave up after that. Try changing the Cat5 cable until u find a working one. I have been in that situation several times.

Even though I am not very happy with the quality of my Ethernet connector on my Axe FX II,
I am very happy of the help I had from Matt at Fractal Support.

I learned a few things about midi cables and why my 20 years old midi cable was working great with the Axe while
my 3 brand new ones were not.

"the new MIDI cables are "cheating" by only using 3 of the 5 pins internally.
Most MIDI Devices are fine like this, but we require all 5 pins to be wired"

Thanks to Matt

Back
Top Bottom