Axe FX STD/ULT Users... FW 10.X or 11???

FRAC

Having owned a few Axe units now, and having played through many firmware versions I have certainly noticed there is a difference in tone between firmware 10.X and 11. It's not much of a difference, but there is a difference in how "processed" the amp models sound. The 10 seems more processed while the 11 is a little rougher, perhaps more realistic.

Sure they're small, but they are there.

With that, have any of you stuck with 10.X over 11?

I have been using 11 for a few years, but right now, I think I am going to load up 10 and see/hear what happens. BTW, anyone know where I can get an archive of really old firmwares? Like 1-9? I would like to hear the history of the Axe-Fx ultra.

I'm not really sure how far back the Ultra went because the Standard came out for a few years and many FW revisions before the Ultra was released and I believe that he kept the version numbers the same so basically there shouldn't be a "v1.0" out there....but I could be mistaken.

Regardless if you are serious about looking for old stuff this is probably the best place to start looking:

archive.axefx.fr

As for going back too far....outside of doing it as an exercise in history there probably isn't a lot to gain from rolling back too far, but you should be fine so long as you back everything up before hand. But remember that a lot of the newer patches aren't backwards compatible if they added new features.

In response to the OP; I wouldn't have ever rolled back from v.11. To me it was and still is kind of the end of development of the unit meaning that it was basically the completed, perfected product. You couldn't have paid me to roll it back.

I don't have my Ultra anymore, but I had spent quite awhile refining my v10 (10.04 IIRC) tones, and just a little time with version 11. So it's probably not a fair comparison, but I recall preferring ver 10.04 for its more polished tone, while v11 had a slightly gritty character.

Firmware version 11 was the first time I went "That's the type of tones I've been looking for". Prior to that I was always found there was a little too much high end presence in all the higher gain tones, without putting in filters etc. Of course it may well have been the effect of the sound system I play my Axe-Fx Standard through not being particualrly flat response at the lower volume levels I typically play at (home player only), but I still feel that version 11.0 was superior in tone and feel for me...!!

Back
Top Bottom